“All In What You're Used To”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Corning Inn

Corning Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Painted Post
Central PA
“All In What You're Used To”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I want to begin this review by saying it is clear that the owners of the Corning Inn are really giving it their best shot. Customer service was awesome! We reserved a room for 2 nights, along with another couple, 6 months in advance. I called the week before to make sure everything was still set, and it was, with no problems. They even gave us a rate of $59 when they saw how far in advance we booked, and let us check in at 1 PM, which was a huge help to us and our schedule for the day. They are very nice people. If I were rating on services alone, it would be 5 stars all the way. The amenities are all there, but the property and rooms really are just "average." It is an old/former Super 8 that needed a lot of TLC, and it seems like the new owners have tried really hard to make it a nice, budget hotel. Do not come here expecting luxury, and you will not be disappointed! It seemed clean enough. Our room was tiny, but did have a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, iron, hair dryer, and of course TV and free wifi. They have a small "breakfast room" where they have a bowl of bananas, a couple different cereals, milk, packets of instant oatmeal, danishes, small muffins, OJ, apple juice, coffee and toast. I was happy with the bed, although the other couple we were traveling with thought theirs was too hard. Water pressure was nice, and never had a problem with hot water. I'd say the only issue I had with the room was the bathroom sink--the water came out extremely close to the back of the sink. It was nearly impossible to get your hands under there. And then the sink filled up quickly and was slow to drain. Didn't have that problem in the shower though. Also our room was on the first floor, facing the parking lot, and the parking spots are literally about 3 feet from the exterior wall of those rooms. The first night, there were some very loud motorcycles that kept coming and going. Finally came back for the last time around 10 PM. Unfortunately, it also seemed like some of them were then staying in the room directly above us, as there were VERY heavy footsteps on the ceiling for about an hour afterwards. The other couple we were traveling with said it sounded like there was some WWF wrestling going on in the room above them. LOL. However, the second night was MUCH more peaceful. And somehow the room seemed cleaner the second day. haha. If I were rating it on the second day only, I might have bumped it up to a "very good." With all that being said, you really cannot complain about much when you're only paying $59/night. That's almost unheard of anymore. We were there for a Seneca Lake Wine Trail event, and I would have much preferred something a little nicer, and closer to the lake. But I also know we'll be paying about 3x as much to do that. But next time, I think I will splurge and do it anyway. I probably won't visit the Corning Inn for a relaxing weekend type thing again. But I would stay here again if I needed a place to sleep as cheap as possible. You probably won't find a nicer place at this price point. So again, bottom line of my review is: Don't expect luxury, and you won't be disappointed with the Corning Inn.

Room Tip: If I stayed again, I would ask for 2nd floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed one night at the Corning Inn. Yes, they are working on refurbishing the motel, but don't let that be a factor. It is about 10 minutes from downtown Corning, so very easy to get to. The check in was very easy and the staff recommended restaurants in the area, especially Jelly Beans (great for breakfast and dinner). The room rate was very reasonable and it was quiet at night (always a plus!). The room was good and the bathroom was up to date. We would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jim G
Mountain View, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

The Corning Inn was just what I was looking for when I needed to visit the area to help my aging mother. I got a clean, inexpensive, non-smoking room with a descent bed and lots of cable channels to watch on TV and of course WiFi. In the morning, I had a choice of cereals, muffins and danish to choose from. Sometimes there were bananas too, but the early birds often cleaned them out. So the proprietor actually put more bananas out for me at 9 AM, so I could have some too. I was scheduled to be there for 5 days, but my trip was extended to 17 days and I stayed there every night. The owners were extremely kind and friendly, which was probably the best part of the entire stay. The only downside...at times the halls smelled smoky from smokers. But my room smelled fine inside, which is all I cared about. No, it's not a fancy hotel (I've stayed at some), but it's excellent for the price and it met my needs well, which was for a quiet, comfortable place to come back to at night.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hancock
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

They are working on refurbishing the hotel. The carpets are very nice and new, but there is lots left to do. The room seemed clean. but when we turned on the heat, it started smoking and the smoke detector went off. The man at the desk was not too concerned, he said it was the first time the room was used this season and it was probably dusty…what a great start! They offered a simple breakfast, cereal, pastries, muffins, beverages.

1 Thank Doris R
Millers, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Corning inn was just the place we were looking for. Clean & Comfortable!
We needed to stay overnight on a Saturday and this place didn't charge a premium for the weekend. Total bill with taxes was $72. Surrounding hotels were 89 weekdays and 160 weekends! Staff was very pleasent and had a nice breakfast waiting the next day.
Danish, oatmeal. cereal, & fruit.

We would stay again if in the area.

Claremont, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Very nice place, my favorite part was they had a dual outlet! yay! got to plug in all my gadgets without having to unplug a lamp. i wish every hotel came with one of those. housekeeping kept a cute little note in the mirror saying enjoy your stay. We went two miles down the street to eat at Friendly's, hopping place on a Friday night! We were very satisified and comfy at the Corning Inn. We forgot something in our room after we checked out and it was no trouble at all to go back in. Breakfast was good too.

Manlius, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Corning, NY is an expensive place to stay - going rate in the downtown area tonight was about $160. Sure, it's nice to be down near Market St. near all of the great restaurants and bars, but $160/night?!!! The price doesn't match the experience IMHO.

Found the Corning Inn today - $66/night (total)...now we're talking! It's not the Ritz but it's good enough. Older hotel - needs some updates/repairs for sure. That said, it's clean, clean, clean. That's my top priority and Corning Inn passes the test.

Rooms are what you'd expect in an older hotel. TV is older but functional, wireless internet is fast. People running this place are pleasant. Not many dining options here but fortunately you can walk across and up the street to Applebee's and get a steak. Not far from downtown Corning (less than 2 miles) if you want to go there for dinner.

2 stars for quality, 5 stars for value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Comfort Inn
#3 of 6 in Corning
Hampton Inn Corning/Painted Post
Staybridge Suites Corning

Been to Corning Inn? Share your experiences!