“Excellent stopover choice”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Painted Post
london ontario
“Excellent stopover choice”
Reviewed October 6, 2008

We have been travelling from London Ontario to Washington DC regularly for several years. Painted Post/Corning has been a good stopover trip break for us. We discovered this motel several years ago, but recently it has been in the middle of a construction zone for a new major interstate intersection. Very heavy traffic, lots of heavy equipment parked around it, some rooms not in such good condition because of serving construction workers.
This year we were delighted to find that work has been done. The motel is under new management. The rooms appear to have had a complete overhaul and upgrading. The staff were helpful, friendly, and no longer overtaxed by the situation that the motel had been in. The Applebees close by is a bonus. So we can highly recommend this motel as an excellent stopover for travellers.

• Liked — Met all expectations
  • Disliked — No concerns
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 20, 2008

had read reviews and as we arrived at the motel tried to be bright and cheerful it was a the side of an empty lot near a walmart and appleby's the motel looked dowdy from the outside and as we opened the door i was surprised it looked fine and big and walked into to the room to be greeted as i put the luggage down by a foul smell it was a mixture of mildew / dampness which someone had tried to cover up by putting plug in air freshners in the room i gagged and had to run out to get fresh air none on the windows would open so the only way we could get some of the horrid smell was to plug out the air freshners leave the door of the room open and leave the fan on in the bathroom the room it self appeared to be clean but i was afraid to chance a shower my husband( a building inpecter) told me later that he could hear cockroaches one of our group had one go across the bed during the night another one of our group reported that the window would not close and the staff nailed it closed when asked if there was a fire what would she do they said it was ok to break a window all of our group 21 in all complained of the very poor standard of the motel four single ladies were most upset and would have preferred to sleep on the bus than stay in these room and spent the night in chairs rather than sleep on the beds the breakfast was in a small room beside the office would not partake applebys's was next door thank god would never go back would advise any to just drive past and try somewhere else

• Liked — checkout
  • Disliked — deadful smell that lingered on your clothes for days afterwards / staff unhelpful
  • Stayed August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Maire29H

Travelers are raving about these Painted Post hotels

Ontario
Reviewed August 12, 2008

The location of this hotel was excellent. There is a Walmart and Appleby's restaurant next door. The fron desk stafff was very friendly and our request for extra pillows was promptly filled. The room was very large but dated. The continental breakfast was acceptable. Good coffee and plenty of choices.

• Stayed August 2008
New York State
Reviewed January 21, 2008

PROS:
Inexpensive
Convenient
Private
Comfortable
Customer Service was good
Convenient to Applebee's and WalMart
No "adult" television channels (thank God)

CONS:
Refrigerant from refrigerator smelled
Furnace was noisy
Could hear other guests' doors

After reading a few of the unsavory reviews, I had my qualms about staying at the Lodge. But the main three complaints from others' reviews-- construction noise, guests' noises, and bad smells-- I thought could be easily remedied by questioning the front desk and asking for the best rooms. The receptionist was helpful and direct. She also gave me the best quote on two rooms than any other place I'd checked (and I'd checked them all). I made sure to ask for the best rooms-- newly renovated rooms-- that were connected. We got both rooms for a fraction of what the Holiday Inn or anyone else was asking.

The Lodge is located on the north western end of the town. There is construction in the area (it was not operational the days we arrived-- Sunday and a holiday Monday), but we are New Yorkers and are used to continual construction, anyway. It wasn't a bother to me at all, and the traffic was very manageable.

Our rooms were toward the back, second story (the receptionist had asked us if we minded second-story rooms, because they have no elevator. We didn't mind). The back of the Lodge where we stayed was extremely quiet and we heard no traffic noise at all.

The rooms were neat and clean. One room smelled like an old camper-- like old paneling. It wasn't terribly distasteful, but it was odd. I later found out that it was the small refrigerator in the room. When I unplugged it, the odor disappeared immediately, and the room did not smell anymore.

I liked that there were signs asking for guests to use resources with thrift-- like, please don't toss a towel in the laundry if you've used it once, because this wastes water. I like efficiency and I like it when it is encouraged. I was also happy to see Gideon Bibles in the dresser drawers.

The furnishings and style of the room were not luxurious, but then again, we just wanted a place to park our carcasses for the night. We'd once stayed at a Marriott in Albany and THAT was luxurious (the price was, too). This was a great budget hotel. It was very suitable for us.

The beds were outstandingly comfortable. I have a back problem, and am up nights with pain. I slept like a baby on these hotel beds. Like I said, everything was very clean and neat. It is an older hotel, but everything was very comfortable and everything worked well. The heat worked in excellent form (especially since it was below zero that night), the water pressure was wonderful.

The furnaces worked well, but they are stored in a small closet in the rooms. When they kicked on, the metal sides of the furnace heaved with a noisy metal bang. It wasn't noisier than my own furnace at home, but because it was on the same level as the bedroom, it was noticeable. Also, you could faintly hear other guests slamming their doors. We came at an off-season, so there were not too many guests. A busier season would have more noise. Then again, I've never been in a hotel that wasn't noisy with slamming doors. I don't stay at hotels expecting everyone and everything to be silent.

And to top off the great value we got on our rooms, we got a free continental breakfast, too! This was great. The lobby was chilly (it was 6 degrees outside), but the breakfast was wonderful, with a great variety of food (cereal, bagels and cream cheese, oranges, danish, muffins, hard-boiled eggs, toast), and beverages (hot cocoa, coffee, tea, cranberry juice, and orange juice). We LOVED our breakfast.

Checkout was fast and easy. It was all a dream.

We will stay here again when we come back to the area. It was very comfortable, and the prices were right. I do agree-- Lodge on the Green IS the best American value.

If you are interested in reading about my travels, I blog about the travels we take in New York State-- [--].

• Liked — Price, location
  • Disliked — Furnace noise, appliance smell
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Painted Post
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 6 in Corning
Fairfield Inn Corning Riverside

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!