“Old but Clean”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Painted Post
Orangeville, Canada
“Old but Clean”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This was a quick overnight stop on a longer driving trip. There were not a lot of options for the area but were looking for a room with 2 beds (travelling with the kids) and a pool.

General apprearance of the property is that it is old but well maintained. The exterior grounds are well lit at night. The motel is a series of buildings with an outdoor swimming pool in the center with some loungers and tables/chairs. You will need to request pool towels from the front desk.

In addition to families, we noticed that this was a popular stop for contractors, truck drivers, and construction workers. Atmosphere seemed relaxed and safe.

We had a ground floor room with parking right outside the room. The room was quite large and had 2 queen beds. There was an older television as well as a fridge and micro. Room looked old (fixtures and furniture) and had a slight musty smell to it. We were surprised that the room was very clean. It passed the white sock test.

Breakfast area is in the main reception area and is quite small. There are only 5-6 tables. OK for a quick bite before hitting the road.

Overall it is a good option for a quick overnight stay. We found it to be a good value compared to the cost of other accomodations in the area.

As an added note, you can walk to the shopping complex next door which has a number of stores including a grocery store, Super Walmart, Home Depot, and a number of smaller stores.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 5, 2011

First: the address would not register on our GPS and I didn't use my backup: MapQuest to get us there. So, GPS led us completely out of the way and we travelled through Corning and the backroads to get us there almost an hour after we had gotten off the WRONG exit.

Next: when we finally did pull in to the parking lot, all I could think of was how sketchy this place appeared from the outside. Vending machines in front of the Reception area had handwritten signs letting you know to use at your own risk, as they tend to "eat" your money without spitting anything back out.

We requested extra bath towels, which my husband had to find by himself in the housekeeping room, located in the vicinity of the pool. The towels looked to be at least 10 years old, and, though they were clean, several were in poor condition: ripped, frayed, etc.

When we finally located our room -- after driving through the torn up parking lot without any direction from Reception -- all I could think of was: "my husband has brought me to the finest 1 Star Motel Painted Post has to offer -- isn't that special?". While the room was actually a pretty decent size and appeared fairly neat & clean, I found the bathroom to be subpar. The fixtures were old & tired, the bathtub had rust stains, and many of the tiles were coming apart from the floor. When I used my own hairdryer one morning, within less than a minute, I had blown a fuse and the power was out. The only reason I had used my own hairdryer was that the one provided in the bathroom had no power.

On the issue of power in the room: there are not enough outlets in the room, and I discovered that there were at least 3 power cords (of the home type - not industrial enough for hotel use) that were dangling precariously throughout the room.

Our last night there, I was kept awake by the sound of someone trying to get into our room. Not just once, but at least 4 times.

On the positive side: price was decent, but we have since discovered a slightly better property in the same range, and a little closer to our friends in Painted Post so that when we return, it will not be here. Another positive: they are dog friendly. All the staff we encountered were friendly and accommodating, but were not dressed in anything resembling a uniform.

Would I stay here again? Only if there was no room available at any other hotel/motel within a 5 mile radius.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank sunworshiprskibum

Travelers are raving about these Painted Post hotels

Lockport, NY, USA
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I would not stay at this hotel again ever. The rooms are all very spread out so we were quite a ways from teh front desk where teh continental breakfast was and there is no way to get there without going outside. Thank god it wasn't winter or raining!

As soon as we walked in the room it smelled extremely musty like nobody had been in tehre for days or weeks. Then we got into bed and the one bed had hair all over it! There was no way the sheets were clean!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Nici2036
Attleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I’ve stayed here 3 times now and have no problem with this motel. I like the exterior corridors because it simplifies unpacking and packing the car and it’s easier to take my dog outside. There’s plenty of grass (unlike many hotels/motels) where she can walk. The pet fee is $10, but that’s pretty standard and is less than what is charged in many places.

The room we stayed in was one of the largest we had on our trip; I’m not sure if they’re all like that. There was a micro/fridge in the room and a coffee maker. Large windows looked out on a grassy area and at other rooms that curve around the back in an open square. (Much nicer than looking out on a strip mall or a parking lot.)

Breakfast is simple – small, packaged muffins or other pastry and a drink.

It can be a little difficult to find this motel. My GPS can never seem to locate it. The motel is at 196 South Hamilton St., Painted Post, NY, but it’s easier to find it under Canada Rd., Gang Mills, NY. It’s near a Home Depot and a Walmart.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank amlbones
Fort Erie, Canada
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Our stay went perfect. Our room was clean and better than expected for the price. After having worked in the hotel industry for a number of years I was quite surprised at how nice it turned out. It is an older property but everything went smooth. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Access to the property while driving towards Corning is a little confusing as you have to actually drive by the hotel and come in from the side but it was no issue. All in all I would definitely stay again and would recommend Lodge on the Green to friends.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Primal2
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I was traveling on my own for business using corporate lodging and was given a room at the end of a hallway with at least 5 empty rooms that were used for storage between me and the stairway. The heat wasn't working and when I ran the water to fill the tub it was brown and left a film on the tub. When I came back to my room on Saturday, there were dead deer hanging in the trees. I've never been so creeped out by anyplace in my life and was scared to sleep there.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank pudzilla
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed September 10, 2010

For $91 per night @ 2 nights, the room not only emitted a strange chemical-like stench, but it was also dusty (I wrote my name in the dust on the coffee maker). Bathroom: dead flies and other matter were not cleaned up and three burnt-out vanity bulbs were not replaced. The place could use a paint job and the bathroom should be completely remodeled. A very uncomfortable visit. Never again for any America's Best [Worst?] Value Inn!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
#3 of 6 in Corning
Staybridge Suites Corning
Hampton Inn Corning/Painted Post
Fairfield Inn Corning Riverside

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!