“THE WORST PLACE TO STAY IN NY”
Review of JFK Airport

JFK Airport
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ozone Park
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I am someone who travels a lot and my company has a corporate account with La Quinta, so I have seen my fair share of "new" sheets and showers. First of all the parking situation is a joke, maybe 7 places to park at this hole in the wall, but all is not lost you can park your rental vehicle on the road where you can get possibly get shanked or rather someone siphon fuel out of my tank and take a dump in the back of my truck (THIS HAPPENED!). Now most people would be off-put by this but, most of the time I can deal with even the most appalling things. The room really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be nice size, relatively clean yeah... well lets go buy some water or hell some beer or food to keep in the fridge, I wouldn't it couldn't anything cooler than room temperature... fine. I will just take a shower and relax, nope the handle to adjust the water temperature came right off.... its ok guys I got this, yeah I fixed it don't worry about it. You know what? I am going to watch some TV, despite all the crap you can't mess up TV right? Wrong... I read on the main site, "...over 30 HD channels..." hm that's a bit high don't ya think? Well there is a total of 29 non HD channels but who is going to split hairs? Well I am because by my count there were 3 channels that were either blank or displayed the cable company's logo, not a single HD channel (No Big Deal), there were 3 channels that were on there twice, NO SPORTS!!, and I think there are about 5 channels that are like watching the dirty channels on cable that you didn't get but you could just make out the picture and the sound. Ugh! Ok, you know what? I prepare for this kind of thing cue the HDMI cable and my laptop well here we go, we have plug ins boom just like that I have a dvd/Blu-ray player well you only have so many movies that redbox can offer, so I bring in the big guns... Netflix on the way!! Well, for the people who don't have Netflix it requires an internet connection, so we connect to the internet which is just a few clicks away. Hey! They have wifi, cool go and get the password from downstairs (LQ1:laquinta6208) just saving you the trip. Alright now we are connected ill check Facebook before I watch this movie... it took 3 minutes to load that page ok, now I will watch this movie well long story short the internet is not fast enough to stream a movie. So, at this point you have almost lost all hope, I just want to listen to some music but not my music I want to stream some music from iheartradio, or anywhere for that matter, well unless you want to listen to just 5 seconds of music with 20 second pause then you will be upset. FINE!! I will go do stuff outside of the hotel to fill my time, I come back to sketchy-central and now I walk to the hotel, on a side note this hotel has 4 ways to enter/exit the hotel your card works at one of them, one is the main entrance and the other two are clearly marked that they are out of order.... FOR THE PAST 4 MONTHS!!!!! Its time to go to bed now today is over with, now I am by no means a tall man or for that matter a short man, I am 5'10" and my feet hang off the end of this "king sized bed"... it makes me feel taller but come on. Now that you are quietly in bed you think that nothing else can go wrong, but you are wrong indeed, about once a week now there is domestic violence or some sort of argument that everyone else around that room gets to share with the people it is happening to. New day now that you got your nice sleep, usually in my experience the housekeeping will usually start around 9-10 to clean the rooms and finish by 1pm at the max... I have witnessed these housekeeping people finishing as late as 5pm, and many times have found them hanging out in the rooms that they are cleaning just as I was passing by. Elevator was out for about a week twice now (I take the stairs regardless). I haven't eaten the breakfast here but, if its anything like any other breakfast I have eaten at any other hotel its filling... but just never what you want. I hope this painted a vivid picture of what you will experience here. I wouldn't recommend staying here unless you absolutely HAVE to.

Good Luck,

Reviewed October 24, 2012

great
clean
economical
good for the simple traveler

good for a simple lay over and a good night sleep
only wish there were more selections of food places
hotel was great with a quick comp. breakfast

neighbor hood not the best, but considering you only need to rest and unwind, it was ok

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Unsafe, zero security. HORRIBLE Front Desk staff. Tiny rooms with tinier beds. Photos are of suites, not regular rooms. MISLEADING!

Our company accidentally booked this location for us for 6 days while we were working an event in Long Island, and since it was pre-paid, we were held prisoner in this horrific Hell-hole. I've stayed in some pretty sketchy places and have overlooked a lot in terms of hotels during my life, but this place is beyond unacceptable. The rooms are semi-clean (seriously, Housekeeping only cleans half the room), but they are tiny and uncomfortable. Sheets are threadbare and if you ask the Front Desk for a new one after Housekeeping gives you the shaft, prepare yourself for rude treatment from the useless Front Desk clerks and boldface BS about how you have to personally speak to the maids to give them permission to enter your room. On Day 4 I broke down sobbing to a very patient reservationist at LaQuinta corporate and I'm working on a refund. Clumps (CLUMPS!) of dark hair were found on the wall of our shower and the room smelled dank and musty.

You will NEVER be able to obtain a rollaway bed because undesirables have made some rooms their permanent residence, as evidenced by the windowsills full of tchotchkes and wind chimes. Baggage will have to be carried downstairs from the entrance to the Front Desk because their "Handicap Only" elevator is never in service, even for the disabled truly in need. Breakfast is full of rude, pushy people scrambling in front of you for the last mini-muffin or child-size bagel, and the cream cheese is always spoiled because they don't keep it refrigerated. The parking lot only holds 8 cars and 3 were scratched during our stay. There are no nearby restaurants but Chinese and Pizza delivery menus are available in the room. Although there are 2-3 convenience stores within walking distance, the surrounding area is very dangerous and it should be noted that they are cash-only and do not take debit or credit cards.

Here are the positives: a free shuttle van to the airport by a friendly driver (only departs on the hour), free WiFi (but it's spotty and you probably have to squat on someone else's unprotected WiFi at some point), mini-fridge and microwave in each room

Room Tip: Good room? Choose a different place!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Shanannon
Reviewed October 12, 2012

so not happy with the place! we landed this through hotwire, it claimed it was a 3 star....there is no way. We paid $145. Our room was small and smelly there were black hairs all over one of the beds (later dropping a pillow and it was covered with hairs, so we figured there must have been a dog there which means it was not vaccumed) the other bed had its sheets inside out??? This made me think they just flipped the sheets considering all the other corners the house keeping did. I went to make coffee and there was still coffee in the maker from the previous sleeper! There were hairs stuck the walls/ceiling of the bathroom, totally gross! There was no tub and the shower was like on the floor so water got everywhere! I was pretty grossed out the whole time....maybe there were nicer rooms but honestly to get stuck in that for $145 bucks, makes a person not be so happy!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2012

La Quinta was a pleasant surprise, during our first stay here last year. For its price, around $100, it was worth its value...Nicely decorated, well scented rooms, clean toilets and carpets, comfortable beds, it was a good deal...but its present price of $130 for its smallest room, er, I dont think so.....I'd rather be at Hampton Inn for $135.00 with better breakfast...If you can get a deal around $120 for La Quinta, its still good. especially for two, with complimentary breakfast...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angel S
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed here because my flight arrived late. Free shuttle, friendly staff and get what you payed for. Te breakfast is horrible, so even if free I would skip it. The bed was big and comfy, the room super small but enough for 1 night. Not recommended if you are going to NYC (Manhattan) cause its super far and not well connected to public transport.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Radisson Hotel JFK Airport
Hampton Inn NY - JFK
Hampton Inn NY - JFK
#2 of 30 in Jamaica

Been to JFK Airport? Share your experiences!