“Fool me once..”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ozone Park
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fool me once..”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed at this particular location twice. The first time was in July 2011. I chose this particular location because I was just staying overnight, and they permitted dogs. The price was also a factor. I found the room to be as advertised, and since I'd lived in NYC for over 40 years, had no real complaints about the parking, and considerd "it is what it is"..which is limited.

My most recent stay at this location (June 11-13, 2012) was not as good an experience as my first stay. Immediately upon entering the room, I was bombarded with the smell of cigarette smoke. As a non-smoker, I can tolerate a night "normal smoking environment", but this smoke was unbearably overwhelming. Like something I've never experienced ever in life. It permeated everything in the room, and since the windows are not able to be opened...let's just say you can easily find yourself in a "coughing fit".

Another problem I experienced was, when I was woken from a sound sleep at 1:15 a.m., by Security to come out and move my car because I was apparently blocking another guest from leaving the rather cramped parking lot. Let's just say I was extremely annoyed by that.

Other than those two issues, I have not other complaints about this hotel. The price is right (especially internet rates), and you already know upon reserving the room that you will not be staying at a W, Marriott or Hilton hotel.

Room Tip: If you're not a smoker, make sure you don't get put in a smoking room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
West Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is disgusting. I recently had the misfortune of staying at this hotel on July 16th. First of all, this hotel states there is free parking - what they neglect to tell you is that there are limited spaces (maybe 12 spaces) so when the lot is full you have to park on the street - on either a major expressway or in the back of the hotel in Jamaica, New York - Not exactly where I want to leave my car unattended. THEN, we went to our room on the second floor - it's 10pm- and one of the beds was NOT MADE. It looked like it had been slept in after housekeeping made the room up. So now we go back downstairs and the "only room left with 2 double beds" was on the main level, which in this case is below grade. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? The room smelled and honestly I was afraid of bedbugs. If they can't clean the empty rooms - how do I know they changed the sheets? HORRIBLE. Since I was in the basement - I could barely get a cell signal OR your free wi-fi. Also, this hotel offers a free shuttle to JFK - part of the reason we chose this hotel. However, and you don't find this out until you get there (not when you book) - the shuttle only runs every hour on the hour & it really only goes from the hotel to the airport & not vice versa. It is completely inconvenient to take the shuttle back. I WILL NEVER STAY AT ANOTHER LA QUINTA. I am disappointed and disgusted.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Stefanie L

Travelers are raving about these Ozone Park hotels

Lucknow, India
Reviewed July 21, 2012

For a place that is not inexpensive, La Quinta is one huge disappointment which starts from the moment you call up from the airport for a pick up. Be prepared to wait endlessly. I had to call thrice before getting through. Then I had to drag my luggage down to the basement which houses the reception. Checking in took forever because of a computer glitch. The only redeeming feature of the room is that it is clean. It's size would be too small for even two people. Be prepared to forgo sleep as every voice outside the room will travel to you. The free breakfast will be of no use if you have an early flight to catch as it does not get underway before 7 on weekends. The Internet is too slow to even print out boarding passes. The shuttle is the only positive recommendation for the place. That and the noise if you fear falling asleep and missing your flight.

Room Tip: Stay away but if you must, ask for one away from the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
USA
Reviewed July 20, 2012

The JFK La Quinta on the Van Wyck both exceeds and falls short depending on one's expectations. This hotel really only should be considered if one needs a night to/from JFK. That alone is what it has to offer -- and at a very good price. If that is all you desire you will be pleased. That said do not expect any high level amenities. The rooms are small. The common areas are not flashy. Clearly the hotel is trying though. The staff is unfailingly helpful and competent. The rooms have been updated (though sound proofing of the internal doors and external windows would have been money well spent -- bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper).

If you are looking for a hotel to explore NYC this is not the hotel to stay. The hotel is right off the Van Wyck (a major thoroughfare) and has very few restaurants nearby.

My main issue was that the hotel only has about 10 parking places. Given that I booked through a third party (blind) website, it was only afterwards that I learned about the very limited parking. Clearly this is my own problem and not the hotel (that to its credit explicitly says they have limited parking) and I found a place on the street without any problem. Still I would gladly have paid the $30 extra to stay at a slightly nicer hotel had I known.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the parking side of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
oregon
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This by far the worst hotel experience in my life. Shuttle came an hour late, then the general manger told me to call my own taxi if i don't like it. The neighbourhood was horrible . i was afraid to go out. very dirty, smoke like marijuana on hallways, staff was horibble. do not go here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Room Tip: run away from here , don't even think about it
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Carrie B
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We have stayed in LaQuinta Inns all across the nation, and this one is by far the absolute worst!!! There were so many things wrong, but it started with the 30-40 minute wait for pick-up at the airport. Then, it took FOREVER to check in because of the incompetence of the staff. The room was clean but VERY noisy because of the location. Once in the hotel, it is NOT safe to leave, so going out to eat was out of the question. There were clean towels in the bathroom, but the handle on the shower was broken, and it was difficult to turn the water on and off. Also, the drain must have been plugged because the water drained VERY slowly. We will be writing a letter to corporate headquarters because this hotel should lose its franchise.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hampton Inn NY - JFK
#2 of 30 in Jamaica
Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel
Crowne Plaza JFK Airport New York City

Been to JFK Airport? Share your experiences!