“Best Food”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2012

You will never go wrong eating here. If you want it they will make it. It is the best. Everyone should eat here you will always go back. yummy

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Great food but also great atmosphere. True family oriented, neighborhood restaurant with very tasty food. All the dishes served "family style" so we had several dishes to share, which is always more fun. Mozz and tomato is excellent with peppers. Shrimp marinara is wonderful with plenty of garlic. Veal marsala was nice. The Limoncella sorbet is amazing. Like some one else said "if you are overnight at JFK" don't miss it.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I've been to Italy a couple of times, but know very little about "authentic" Italian food. Being somewhat frugal (really cheap), I hesitated to go from my hotel to Don Peppes because I was intimidated by NYC cabs and wasn't sure it was safe to walk (less than a mile from my hotel on Google Earth). Shouldn't have worried on either count; took a cab there for $5 + $3 tip and walked back to the hotel.

I read the place could be really crowded so expect a wait, but arrived about 8:00 p.m. and waited only 15 minutes. Talked to two couples from Long Island who seemed impressed we knew about the place as left coasters. They told us they eat there several times a year and have done so for many years. The guys working the door looked like they were straight out of central casting and were exceedingly friendly and helpful. The waiter, an older gentleman with a heavy Italian accent, took great lengths to explain the dishes and make suggestions. The place is fairly small, but a hive of activity with white-shirted waiters, red-shirted busboys, and drinking, talking, gorging, customers having a great time.

Non-drinkers, we ordered Pellegrino, Baked Clams, a stuffed Artichoke, Spaghetti Marinara, and Eggplant Parmesano, The waiter warned us the dishes were family-sized and he wasn't kidding, each main course will serve four. Didn't mind the extra food (Long Island couples shared our eggplant) because we wanted to taste several different things. As stated earlier, I'm know expert on Italian food, but the food struck me as the cliche goes "like mama used to make" versus haute cuisine. Don't get me wrong, this is good, high quality food, The bread was good and crusty, but unspectacular. The clams ($20 for a dozen) were certainly good but a little too heavy on the bread crumbs for my taste. The same with the stuffed artichoke, lots of bread crumbs, but the olive oil composite liquid mixture at the bottom of the bowl was delicious. My wife really liked the Spaghetti and the eggplant was very good. My wife topped it off with a piece of cheesecake she said was sublime. More food than we could ever eat and a 25% tip to the waiter came to $100.

Since the place is always packed, you know the locals love it. If you are an out-of-towner, it is definitely worth making a pilgrimage to Don Peppes. Loosen your belt and enjoy the experience.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

If you want true Italian, this is it. Love it We always get the Linguini in Clams Sauce, Chinese Chicken (don't ask), and the the Chicken with Red Peppers. The Mozzarella with Tomatoes and Red Pepper is also delicious.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

This place has the best Italian Food in the 5 Boros. The family style food is generous enough for everyone to go home full. The baked clams are the best I have ever had. I also recommend the eggplant rollatini, linguine and clam sauce and the Veal Milanese. You can't go wrong with this place but dont forget to bring cash no credit cards accepted.