“A great place.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ovid
Silver Strand at Sheldrake
Ranked #2 of 3 Ovid B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We really thought this was an ideal location. You will get lots of debate on which of the lakes are the best, and we really enjoyed Cayuga, and this B&B is right on the lake. They have a dock to sit out and enjoy the sights (with some of that Finger Lakes wine). We spent time on the lake on their included kayaks too. A pretty comfortable room. And the hosts are very nice. The best breakfast too. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank samarx

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Just returned from a two night get-a-way at the Silver Strand. We were in room #3 which had a great view of the lake and a very nice balcony with two chaise lounge chairs. The room was comfortable (not my style of decor) but that's ok. This B&B is old but charming. Maura introduced herself upon our arrival and we were on our own (which is how we prefer it). The two breakfasts we had were excellent and it was a plus to be able to dine on the wrap around porch. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the Silver Strand.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3, but I liked room 2 better.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Denise W
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is our 9th stay at the Silver Strand and each one has been flawless. The site on Cayuga Lake is spectacular. The owner, Maura, is one great hostess and manager of this sterling and quaint operation. She makes us feel like family and we look forward to our stay each year. The rooms are lovely and the views of the Lake are stellar. We love to have our breakfast on the grand porch that surrounds this vintage home. Maura is the Julia Child of bed and breakfast settings. Her breakfasts are unique and absolutely delicious. It would be very hard to top the service and quality of this b and b. If you want a weekend to remember in the Finger Lakes, this will exceed all your expectations and you will return, just like we do. This is a winner!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Valerieheld
Reviewed September 14, 2012

After much research we opted to stay at this B&B. However despite the fantastic location and the charming property the experience itself was disappointing. When we arrived at about 4pm there was no-one on the property. The house was unlocked and by the front door was a small notice with a printed sheet of paper stating where each of the guests were staying. Within the room itself which was large enough and had access to the wrap around porch and an excellent view of the lake, was the customary house rules and information manual which dealt with some of our questions. I spent some time sat on the porch outside our room while my wife rested and during this time a man walked across the lawn from the direction of the lake and asked if I had everything that I needed but he didn't introduce himself-was this Skip? We left the house to go out for a meal in the evening. It should be noted that the property is not locked which means that one must have a fair degree of trust in one's fellow guests and passersby. We were looking forward to our "unbelievable" or "unique" breakfast. However breakfast was none of these things. On the dresser in the dining room was a small selection of fruit, yoghurt, cake, juice, granola, bread and bagels, but this in nothing exceptional. Having helped ourselves to some of this I came back in for coffee where I met a lady (was this Maura, difficult to tell as she didn't introduce herself) who announced that there would be an egg dish soon. Sometime later I came in for more coffee and she was standing there with two omelettes which were ok but could not be termed "gourmet". Later on while in the bathroom I overheard a telephone conversation where it was stated that Maura was away at the time. When I checked out, having initially been given the wrong bill I discovered that I was dealing with Skip (only because the "cook" called him by name) who did seem to be a nice enough chap.
Overall the experience was only average at best and may have been better if Maura had been there. However we were left distinctly underwhelmed at the lack of hospitality demonstrated by those left to cater for the paying guests.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

If you are travling to the Finger Lake reigon of New York state try to include this B & B. Great old world rooms an unbeatable porch and unbeliveable breakfasts served up by a charming inn keeper. I would not stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: All 4 are excellent!
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife and I spent a weekend at the Silver Strand based, in large part, on the favorable tripadvisor reviews- Let us echo those compliments- Maura was a fine hostess, attending to any needs w/o "hovering"- Her breakfasts were filling, uniques, and outstanding- Eating them on the wrap-around porch was extra special- We stayed in room #2- What a great balcony vie of the lake! Clean, comfortable bed, and spacious bath- Perfect location to area wineries, hiking at Taughannock (sp) tate Park, and kayaking/swimming on the lake- We'll be back!

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We just returned from a two night stay. I loved it so much that my husband had to drag me out when it was time to go. We had a lake-view room with a balcony where we enjoyed morning coffee delivered to us pre-breakfast. Breakfast is home cooked and gourmet. We swam in the lake off the dock. Unfortunately we did not have time to take one of the boats out. Our room was comfortable and the lake breezes made air conditioning unnecessary, even though it is August. Maura is a welcoming and helpful innkeeper. Thanks so much!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ovid
Inn at Taughannock
1907 Bragdon House Bed & Breakfast
Cayuga Lake Front Inn
Cayuga Lake Front Inn
#6 of 18 in Ithaca

Been to Silver Strand at Sheldrake? Share your experiences!