“Best view of Cayuga Lake”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ovid
Silver Strand at Sheldrake
Ranked #2 of 3 Ovid B&B and Inns
Syracuse, New York
“Best view of Cayuga Lake”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary and decided to try the Silver Strand. We were not dissapointed. Maura was warm and welcoming and the house is very charming. We stayed in Room 3 and we loved how "kitchy" it was. You can't miss the big pink flamingo. We had a lovely balcony with a spectacular view of the lake. Breakfast was creative and delicious. We have stayed at many places around the lakes over the years and I can honestly say that The Silver Strand is the best B&B we have found. The owners are attentive but not intrusive and we felt comfortable downstairs as well as in our room. I would recommend discovering this well kept secret for yourself. I don't think you would be dissapointed.

Room Tip: Room 3 is the largest room at the B&B. The other rooms are much smaller but still have great vie...
Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
New York, NY
Reviewed November 12, 2011

We are not the kind who usually like the B&B experience, but Silver Strand is an exception. We enjoyed a wonderful 2-day stay in October. Exceedingly comfortable, incredible breakfast, great tourist advice from Maura. Just an incredible experience overall.

Room Tip: We supposedly had the worst (cheapest) room -- #4 I think -- but it was absolutely charming. Sittin...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DeriNYC
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My wife and I just returned from a lovely 3-day stay at the Silver Strand. The location is a bit out-of-the-way, in a very quiet area. The views down the lake were spectacular, and reason enough to go there. The rooms were nicely decorated, but a bit small (and watch out for the step going into the bathroom in room #6!).

The breakfasts were outstanding: they offer an egg dish (quiche, soufflé, omelette) along with fresh fruit, granola, bagels, muffins, yoghurt and a 'dessert' such as lemon poppy seed cake. Everything was very fresh and expertly prepared. I should also note that the Simply Red Bistro at the Sheldrake Point Winery (~200 yards away) is excellent, but they are only open a few days a week and they are always booked, so reservations are a must.

They have a boat dock with a few kayaks and a paddleboat which are free to use, and they have bikes available to borrow as well.

I cannot say enough for the owners, Skip and Marua. They were very responsive (via email) before arrival, and quite pleasant and friendly when we were there.

I like to try different places whenever I travel, but the Finger Lakes will be an exception. I can think of no reason why I would stay anywhere other that the Silver Strand.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brian S
Catonsville, Maryland
Reviewed September 8, 2011

We loved the location; lovely veiw from our bedroom.- nice walk to the winery and to the dock on the lake. Perhaps the basics were a bit tired (towels and bed linens) but the innkeeper is charming; fun and she is a wiz in the kitchen. It might have been one of the best breakfast experience at a B&B.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zenmartha
Brockport, NY
Reviewed September 1, 2011

My wife and I were treated to two nights in Room 2 for a wedding gift...9 years ago. After a few years of other trips and starting our family, we were able to get away for a couple of nights and use our gift certificate that I was sure would have expired long before.

It was our first B&B experience and we were very pleased. Having nothing to compare it to, this is a little "blind," but we felt welcomed right from our entrance. We were shown our room, which was a quaint little slice of heaven overlooking Cayuga Lake. The room had a jacuzzi bath that was called a "2 person." I'm 6'7", so 2 person would have been a stretch for us.

in addition to the immaculate facilities, gorgeous view, the breakfast made it even better. Both breakfasts had a fresh bagel assortment, yogurt, granola and fresh, fresh, fresh fruit, coffee, oj and water. The first morning we had a Goat Cheese Egg Souffle that was about muffin size that was delicious. There was also a lemon-poppy seed cake that was moist and very good. The second morning there were cherry turnovers that appeared homemade. I'm not a fan of warm cherry things, but couldn't resist that! Additionally, there was Huevos Rancheros that was out of this world!

We had a terrific thunderstorm and enjoyed watching the lightning dance over the lake - it was pretty impressive!

The dock is very nice - serene with the best view imaginable...I wish we had just sat there a little more!

The only negative that I can really say is that the water in the room sinks is very "Sulfur fragrant." It was almost to the point that my over-sensitive nose couldn't drink it. I might suggest to Maura and Skip that they put 3-4 bottles of water in the room, but it wouldn't keep me away from the place!

There are some terrific Wineries in the area, a few parks. We enjoyed driving around quite a bit - went around Cayuga Lake, stopped at the very expensive MacKenzie Childs farm, drove up Seneca Lake had a great meal at the Ithaca Ale House (Ithaca) and exquisite meal at Dano's on Seneca Lake. While we weren't looking for anything in particular while we were out and about, we were amazed that there is very little opportunity for groceries, etc.

If you're looking for a nice get away, go to Silver Strand. Don't think twice!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 3Stokers
Rome, NY
Reviewed August 27, 2011

We've made the Silver Strand a special anniversary experience...Moira and Skip aim to please and the accomodations are wonderful! Moira's breakfasts are not to be missed - she uses fresh fruits & herbs and prepares a delightful feast which can be enjoyed on the beautiful porch with the lake view. The location is perfect for getting to Ithaca and the waterfalls nearby or for taking full advantage of the wonderful lake activities right at the Silver Strand!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Nice, clean room. Not huge by any stretch but it was still good value. Friendly hosts, great breakfast. Awesome views of Cayuga Lake from both the room and the porches/piers. Coffee (both regular and decaf canisters) delivered to our room in the morning.

Would definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ovid
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
Aurora Inn
#1 of 5 in Aurora
The Fox and the Grapes Bed and Breakfast
The Savannah House Inn

Been to Silver Strand at Sheldrake? Share your experiences!