We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ovid
Silver Strand at Sheldrake
Ranked #2 of 3 Ovid B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My hubby and I went to the Silver Strand for our honeymoon last year and we returned for a quick 1st Anniversary trip and it was as beautiful as we remembered. Our room was immaculate, breakfast was beyond delicious (note: my hubby is lactose intolerant and the owners were more than happy to accomadate him: Soy yogurt and creamer and a special egg dish with soy cheese), and we went out for a spin on the complementary kayaks. We hope to be back again next summer. ALSO, and while I can not guarantee this for future visitors, I saw my first ever, perfect double rainbow off of their dock after a rain storm!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JLHartnett

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Sky Woman: The Cayuga mother goddess, said to have fallen through a hole in the sky.
You can't look for such a place, but you can certainly find one at the Silver Strand in Sheldrake NY.
We wanted a place on the lake without all the work of a cabin and a nice balance of refined hospitality and outdoor action. Apparently Maura and Skip share this vision with us and over the years they have refined the concept to high art.
No need to repeat the high praises others have offered. In a five night stay like ours, big features were the privacy you might not expect in a B&B, THE LAKE (Duh!), Maura's breakfasts (great incentive to get an early start on the day), Unforgetable speedboat ride with Skip, and a very pleasant sense of community with the the proprietors and other guests. Our new home away from home.

Reviewed July 21, 2011

My husband and I stayed for 3 very relaxing nights at the Siver Strand. We were looking for a place to stay for our wine trail trip and found the perfect get a way with this bed and breakfast. The Inn was just wonderful, right on the lake with an incredible 2 level dock which was great for for watching the sun set. There are also kayaks and other boats available for use, bikes too (no fee, when do you see that!)

The house was absolutely charming, just lovely and very quiet. Every room has a view of the lake. Our room (4) was supposed to have the worst view (it was the least expensive room) but it truly had just a great view of the lake from our own private porch . We were so pleasantly surprised!

Perhaps the best thing about the Inn was the Inn Keeper, Maura, she manages to pull off that perfect balance of being there when you need her but still you have absolute privacy. I can't even begin to describe the breakfast she made every morning. My oh my she can cook. She made a true gourmet breakfast but also included all the basics for those who may not like something a little different (my husband appreciated the basics, I loved all of it). She will even bring coffee to you room in the morning if you request it. The perfect way to start your day, coffee on your private porch overlooking the lake.

You just can't go wrong staying here. We just left yesterday and I already miss it.

1  Thank lmpsvp
Reviewed July 16, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for three nights on our anniversary weekend and had a wonderful time. A beautiful spot on the shores of Cayuga Lake, we could see 20 miles up the lake from our balcony. The location was near some of our favorite wineries in the Finger Lakes and within walking distance of one of the best winery/bistros in Sheldrake Point Winery so we had plenty of opportunity to shop for our favorite wines and have some fantastic meals. The hospitality was warm and friendly, the rooms clean and comfortable and Maura's cooking was delicious. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Not much more to ad except some photos of this great B&B

1  Thank 122main
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I loved this B&B. We loved riding the bikes up to the restaurants and along the lake. Our favorite is Simply Red Bistro. They have items on the menu such as home made smoked trout pate and pickled local asparagus w/red onion ginger and garlic. The local wines are incredible and everything is reasonably priced.

Our room had a turret styled balcony where we ate breakfast. Maura makes a homemade gourmet breakfast each morning. One morning she made a fried vegetable patty with something delicious in between... poached egg? (can't remember) topped with an artichoke and covered with hollindaise sauce. Yum, yum! There was also fresh fruit, homemade cherry coffee cake and blue berry crumpets. A nice extra was putting out a sign on your door if you would like a coffee tray brought and left outside your door.... you could choose among 7:00, 7:30 or 8:00. I loved this as I need coffee as soon as I wake up.

Skip took us on an hour long boat trip ($100) and told us all about the area. Very interesting. There are also other boats for guests to use free of charge.

Everything was very clean and the beds were comfortable. For such an old house it was quiet, too. A minor notice, and only because I'm a decorator, the rooms could use a face lift, especially the flowered border wallpaper. Although if that was done the price would go up... at less than $200 a night this is a steal..

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Nikki4
Reviewed May 9, 2011

My husband and I truly enjoyed our visit at the Silver Strand on May 5, 2011. We hadn't even gotten up the steps and Skip was outside greeting us and showing us around. We met Maura later in the day and found the couple to be down to earth, no-nonense and more than accomodating and eager to please. The location is the most idyllic spot to relax, slow down, and enjoy. I loved the breakfast buffet flexibility where we had a range of time we could eat and weren't restricted by portions (either too much or too little). The food was wonderful, the room and house was clean, and the hosts made us feel right at home. Although my husband and I typically like to try and experience different B&B's in our travels, we would have no qualms about visiting this wonderful B&B repeatedly. The Silver Strand in fact could become a destination instead of a place to sleep while visiting other destinations.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Derusha
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ovid
Glass Magnolia Bed & Breakfast
10 mi away
Inn at Taughannock
Inn at Taughannock
#5 of 9 in Trumansburg
The Aurora Inn
The Aurora Inn
#1 of 5 in Aurora

Been to Silver Strand at Sheldrake? Share your experiences!