“Very helpful staff”

Best Western Plus Oswego Hotel And Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Oswego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We arrived just before noon.....way too early for check in. We asked if it was okay to leave the car there while we explored. No worries, they even gave us a room early!! Very impressed. We asked for directions to Fort Ontario and they had coupons for us to use....didn't expect that.
Room was great, we overlooked the river and were able to have the patio door open.
Ate at Alex's for dinner, food was good. A busy place. Across the street is The Press Box....busy place too.
Breakfast was good even though the eggs were obviously processed. Staff very friendly there too.
Nice hotel, would go back.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed August 7, 2014

The outside of the hotel is a bit nondescript, but the guest rooms are updated, comfortable, and clean. During our visit, the staff was very friendly and attentive. We ate at the new restaurant next to the hotel, Alex's, and enjoyed our meal there very much. The restaurant staff was accommodating to our request to sit in a quiet corner (we were traveling with an adult child with special needs). The food was excellent and our server Jessie was outstanding.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2014

A quality hotel in every regard with all the amenities you need. I recommend Best Western Captain's Quarters for either business or pleasure and be sure to try Alex's Restaurant. it is also a good place just to unwind and relax.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Visiting the Best Western-Captain's Quarters in Oswego, NY has become a bit of a family tradition for our family for over 20 years. We have always found it to be a very nice hotel. It was clean, spacious and, most of we always felt that it had wonderful customer service. When I contacted them by phone this time, it was no different. The clerk was helpful and pleasant. I reserved 2 suites for 3 months in the future...and was told that these rooms would be two room suites with a door in between. This was the only type of room we had ever stayed in there and were happy with this.

When we arrived they gave us two suites...but one of them was only one room with a pull out couch next to it. This was not what we had been sold and I went to the front desk to inquire about it. The young clerk stated that she "knew this would be a problem". Apparently, this room is not one that is sought after! She told me, however, that all of the other rooms had been reserved. I then asked if I could speak to a manager. (This is when the trouble began!) An assistant manager named Ester came out. She was evidently ready for this complaint, as she told me there were no other available rooms and turned to walk away. I've been in mental health for over 20 years...and I sensed that this woman was very unstable. Even the young clerk seemed very fearful of her. So, I spoke very gently to her as I could see that her stress level was rising... and told her that it was early and that we'd like to have a room of someone who had not come in yet. She refused that too. She gradually became more and more belligerent. Finally, she asked me what I wanted her to do. I said I would accept a discount on the room if she couldn't give me the one that I reserved. She told me that she'd give me 20% off of our entire bill. I asked to see that in writing. She said "don't worry, it'll be written down". She then turned and walked back into her office. I did not trust this, but had no recourse but to take her at her word. After all, she had shaken my hand on it! (and combined with those scary eyes, it was very disconcerting!).

There was a festival in town and the parking was limited. There were spaces in the lot but we were told we could have only one pass for each room. We had 3 cars and needed one more. When my husband asked for an extra one, he was refused. When he asked to speak to the manager...out came Ester. By this time, I think the confusion and mere number of guests waiting to be served had gotten to poor Ester, because she lost it and started yelling at my husband. He then yelled back because who would ever expect to be treated this way at a nice hotel. And so then she threatened to call the police and turned and walked away! At this time, there was also another guest in her late 70's screaming at this woman for not helping her. I'm sure Ester was stressed...but screaming at customers, threatening to call the police on them and walking away is certainly not great customer hospitality!!

Turns out, you guessed it, we never did receive the discount that Ester had shaken on! And instead of the police that she threatened us with (which my husband stood there and waited for!) she sent her manager after us. She reiterated some of what Ester said. And didn't seem shocked at what we had to say about Ester's lack of customer service. My advice for this hotel is to definitely get rid of Ester...as she is surely lowering the staff and guest morale! And maybe, another suggestion might be for Best Western to change their tag line of "Welcome to Best Western...where you stay with people who care!"...because, at least at this location, that's false advertising!!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Jamakin15
Reviewed July 30, 2014

I've been here several times while my son visited Oswego University and found the hotel to be a good overall value. On this last visit I found the staff to be extremely courteous and helpful. The manager allowed us to stay a few extra hours beyond checkout time at our request. The rooms are clean and updated. All the rooms face the river and have small balcony to sit on and admire the view. Plenty of parking front and rear and centrally located to downtown and the university. My only complaint is the Wifi. While it's free, it is a very weak signal that constantly fades out. I have experienced this every time I have stayed there. They have decent gym and a nice pool as well. it's not the Ritz but it looks like the best value in Oswego.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Beautiful décor inside and out. The view of the River is outstanding. We really appreciated the restaurant/waterside bar. Pool and exercise areas the best I've seem, outside of Las Vegas. Honestly we were pleasantly surprised, this place was far beyond my expectations. Wish I could have stayed longer to enjoy this town and the port area.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2014

This hotel in Oswego, NY is a go to option when staying in this area...extremely courteous & accomodating staff, beautiful rooms with immaculate, updated bathrooms...will be staying there again next month...highly recommend!!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Lorraine W
Travelers also viewed these Oswego hotels
1 mi away
#7 of 11 in Oswego
Beacon Hotel Oswego
Beacon Hotel Oswego
#5 of 11 in Oswego

Been to Best Western Plus Oswego Hotel And Conference Center? Share your experiences!