“Very Dissatisfied with the cleanliness”

Best Western Plus Oswego Hotel And Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Oswego
GreenLeadersGold level
Warwick, New York
“Very Dissatisfied with the cleanliness”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My son rented an apt in Oswego for next semester we stayed in Best Western Captains Quarters Oswego since it was close to my sons apartment. We started to unpack and as I opened the draw to put my things away I found underware of the previous guest. Lots of underware, I went down stairs and personally talked to the clerk (he had this half a smerk, which really ticked me off). He assured me that the room had been clean and that he woud have someone come and remove the clothing. That never happened. That morning again I told the new clerk on shift that they did not even have the class to remove the items from the room, response "Oh I am sorry" and that was that. So I would have to say that some of the staff ( not all) are smug and aloof. The hotel room, well they did not do a good job to clean it. Now here is the best part. If you recall I have already spoken to three people. One the first night and the two that were at the desk in the morning. I get home and about three days later I receive a package, yup you got it, they mailed the underware to my house. So lets add incompetant to that list.

Room Tip: Make sure you room is cleam/
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank jcstorm555
thawthorn, General Manager at Best Western Plus Oswego Hotel And Conference Center, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. What you experienced during your stay falls well below the standards we have set for our hotel and is of course, dissappointing to both you and our management staff.

We have taken measures to ensure that this does not recur in the future and we are confident that your future stays will reflect that. Thank you again.

Tracey Hawthorn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Manchester, NH
Reviewed August 7, 2012

After a long drive here from Boston, we were pleasantly surprised at this comfortable hotel. I would like to give this a 3.5 rating but TA doesn't have that, so I must record it as a 4, but it is really a 3.5.

Pros: Gym was huge. Almost too big and too nice. For a fitness junkie like myself, I was impressed. Pool/spa area. Straight up out of the 90's but it was really nice for the area I imagine. A nice change/ throwback compared to the ultra spa's of today's mega resorts. Renos underway look promising!

Cons: Long check-in/ underwhelming reception which is important for first impressions in my opinion. Nice seating area off the lobby which came in handy during this unanticipated wait to check in. Again, had just driven from Boston and was in no mood to stand in a seemingly un-busy lobby. No smoking on the balconies- I mean come on. I can understand why some hotels do this, but I think for this property it would be perfectly acceptable to allow and expect people to do that. I don’t respond well to lofty threats of smoking violations ($300).

Tip: Breakfast is PROMPTLY broken down at posted times. Who eats breakfast from 5-9 or whatever it is while on vaca. I feel like the staff was counting the seconds before they got to remove all food and bevies. It almost seemed if they took pleasure in this as well! I found it odd and tacky.

I want to recognize the housekeeping staff. Best I have seen in a while!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Andymn847
Utica, NY
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I preface this review by stating I have stayed at this hotel before without any issues or complaints. Always have been a lovely stay.

We checked in smoothy and went to our room. The linens had not been changed - still had hair on the them and stains from previous guest. After calling to the front desk and asking for a linen change, the front desk decided to move us up four floors to a different room. When checking into any hotel room I always check for bedbugs. After I pulled the two sheets back down to the mattress cover, there was a bedbug crawling on it. I took a picture and went downstairs to the front desk and delicately mentioned the problem. The solution was to move us to a third room, right next door. After returning from our daily plans on Saturday, we had a call from the manager, expressing concern that we had not been down to talk to him about our problem. We were never asked to come down to talk to him, and when we came down to see what was needed, we were told they discounted the price of the first night's stay by 25%.

My concern is that the room next door, while being cleaned by the staff while we checked out, will be rented to someone else without the problem being addressed. Also, my friend and I are now experiencing bites. We have stayed at this property before and have always had a pleasant stay. One of the newer gentlemen on staff was incredibly apologetic and nice. The other two that we spoke to were positively apathetic. Disappointing - considering how much cost it is for people to get rid of bedbugs. I hope that perhaps some retraining of staff will happen.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank chapstickmess C
Please be advised that this extraordinary hotel has not had one single incident of bed bugs in the 27 years since we have opened. We had the photo you forwarded us analyzed by a professional exterminating company who confirmed that this is absolutely not a bedbug. Further, we take extreme measures to ensure that we will never have this problem. We inspect all rooms on a scheduled basis – right down to removing the headboards. A professional exterminating company treats our guestrooms on a regular basis and both our mattresses and box springs have ‘BugLock’ encasements that do not allow entry to any sort of bug.

In an attempt to review your prior visits to our property, I could not locate any history of reservations in your name. Additionally, I personally inspected the original room you were placed in and the second room you were placed in and found no evidence of any of your claims in their entirety.

In January of 2012 this hotel received the Best Western ‘Directors Award’ for outstanding quality standards – a feat not easily reached. We were additionally awarded the Best Western “Plus”designation, which can only be accomplished by reaching very stringent requirements set forth by our Corporate Headquarters. Further yet – in June, we were also awarded the Best Western “Ultra Clean” distinction which was attained by meeting all components of Best Western International’s intensified inspection program. Wow! You can imagine how proud we are of all of these amazing accomplishments. I assure you that the Best Western Plus Captain’s Quarters Hotel will continue to provide the very highest quality of accommodations to our guests, each and every day.

Tracey E. Hawthorn
Ringoes, New Jersey
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I must admit, I did not have high hopes for a Best Western in Oswego, NY... but I was pleasantly surprised. While this was not a Ritz Carlton, it was clean, quiet and comfortable. I would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to anybody. (And I am bit of a hotel snob.)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank teena1014
Warren, New Jersey
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I'm not saying that Best Western is not a good brand, but this one is a big surprise. It's a fairly new premises, nice up-to-date furnishing, spacious room, and the best bathroom in all Best Western hotels I ever stayed. The staff are also friendly and helpful. The river view from the room balcony is fantastic, and I enjoyed the sunset very much. Bunch of restaurants, bars and banks around. Nice hotel that I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Wei H
Silver City, New Mexico
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We have stayed there 2 years in a row during the Genius Olympiad Environmental Fair. Beautiful river view and fabulous hospitality. I would stay there above any place in the region.

• Stayed June 2012
Mount Joy, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Our room had a balcony overlooking the river- what a bonus. My husband could not believe all of the equipment in the fitness room. My daughter and I enjoyed the pool, jacuzzi & sauna. The lady that took care of the continental breakfast was very friendly and attentive. The hotel is large but was clean and quiet. The man at the front desk was helpful as far as recommending a place for supper.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oswego
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oswego
Quality Inn & Suites Riverfront
Beacon Hotel Oswego
Beacon Hotel Oswego
#3 of 10 in Oswego

Been to Best Western Plus Oswego Hotel And Conference Center? Share your experiences!