“An Old Friend”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Everyone who comes back to Oswego for a visit or reunion has to go to Rudy's, which was visited many times during our school days. The Texas hots are as good as we remembered and the location on the lake is quite beautiful.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Since the CNY summers are way too short we love to frequent "on the lake" restaurants. We love The Waterfront and even Calipso Cay (unfortunately not open this year) all the great places in Skaneteles. I guess you have to be a "local" to understand the ordering "system". Because we are not rude and aggressive it took a very long time to get our order in due to people just walking in and going directly to the front of the line and butting in. Thanks to a "local" patron who noticed how we were being "ignored" and told us we need to get much more aggressive or we might have been there all night. We finally got to order and asked for the shrimp and haddock dinner along with 2 Labatts. Both meals were decent, We did not like the "Kraft" tarter sauce and would have loved home-made. It really "dumbed down" the meal we thought. We sat in the back on a picnic table and overlooked the beautiful Ontario Lake and saw a gorgeous sunset. It was a Friday nite and every table was taken.
Would love to see a nice remodel, inside and out. It is such a nice location but very outdated.
All and all we were glad we visited Rudy's but most likely won't be returning.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

After spending a beautiful sunny day on Lake Ontario I was craving Rudy's. It had been years but I remember it being excellent. As far as ambience you really can't beat it - casual little place with picnic tables on the shore of Lake Ontario - really reminds me of the Cape Cod clam shacks that I love so much. But that's where the similarities end.

My wife and I both ordered the fried fish/fried scallop plate (blue plate?), one of my girls ordered chicken tenders, and the other ordered chicken wings. Now the chicken wings were absolutely horrible - but you don't go to Rudy's for wings (I warned her). The chicken tenders were good and got favorable reviews from all who tried them. Now for the seafood - the fried haddock was really good, although the portions were very small. Not a good value for your money at all. The scallops were some of the worst I've ever had (and I've had lots). They were very small and way overcooked and rubbery - really bad!

All the workers were friendly and helpful and the place seemed fairly clean. This place is about an hour from my house but I will not be returning. I can get better food at better prices much closer to home. It's really too bad since I love the location of Rudy's.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

This little section of lake has been known as "The Stands" because back in the day, there was an ice cream stand, a fish stand, etc. and Rudy's has remained there since forever. If you are going to Oswego, people who know will ask if you went to Rudy's and it IS the place to go for fried fish, although they also have burgers, chicken and an assortment of fried sides to go with your food. It IS cash only-2 of us ate a simple dinner for about $25.00 with soft drinks. The sides that come with the meal are miniscule and the portion size of the food is on the smaller side-but the food was excellent. ( I suppose the portion size is small so you can save room for ice cream).There is no tipping because you just order at the counter (sometimes 3 or 4 deep) and take your food outside to eat on a picnic table overlooking Lake Ontario--some tables are under a canopy--or inside at one of the 4 or 5 tables. Maybe it was just our server, but we had to request sugar, bbq sauce, tarter sauce, lemon. Remember to bring cash and dont feed the sea gulls. There is parking alongside the stands and across the street.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

An establishment that has been around for a very long time and has the support of locals and travelers worldwide! Great food! Open from mid-March to the early fall. Fantastic food and wonderful lake views. A must visit place!