“Small but mighty on flaover”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bistro 197

Bistro 197
Ranked #8 of 92 Restaurants in Oswego
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a causal European style storefront bistro, specializing in comfort food with a flair. We pride ourselves in only using FRESH ingredients, available organic products, the best cuts of meat, and everything is made from scratch; every sauce, every dressing, every dessert. We use preservative-free food from its rawest form, and our seafood is wild-caught and additive-free. We have craft beers and a great selection of wine. We encourage a leisurely approach to eating, taking your time, eating in courses, and enjoying company and the conversation of family and friends. Come check us out and see what comfort food done right is all about.
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Small but mighty on flaover”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

I liked the small, intimate setting. Not too many tables and although a bit noisy with chatter, you could carry on a conversation. Locals seem to like it also. The selection is approx 8 entrees and they are all prepared fresh and with pride. They use a lot of "local home grown items" in their offerings. They ran out of one of my favorite entrees are 7 PM, a bit early to run out, but my alternative selection was just fine. For two adults, with one bottle of beer, they have great wine and beer selections, with no hard liquor, and dessert was $100 with tip. I would eat here again, by all means.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Joseph K

Montreal, Canada
“Eclectic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Appetizers, crab cake and Steaky Bacon, were delicious as were the spicy shrimp. My cod dish was overcooked and roasted potatoes got soggy as they were served in a bowl with the cod and sauce. To their credit, (listen up everyone in the restaurant business) they offered a free dessert to compensate for my disappointment.I chose the blueberry ( real berries not frozen) tart which was simple and delicious. Clearly they care about quality, interesting food and their customers satisfaction.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank karephil_1
“Delicious Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a great lunch at the Bistro. The SalmonBLT was wonderful, as was my husband's beef short rib sandwich. The sandwiches were so filling that we didn't have room for dessert! And the price was very reasonable.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Katherine P
Kingston, Canada
“Unexpected Pleasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

The owner of the local bookstore, River's End (a gem), recommended Bistro 197 and we were not disappointed. The menu had range but was not overwhelming. As appetizers, my wife enjoyed the large crab cake (perhaps two or three smaller and slightly crispier ones would be better?) and my blueberry Wellington eliminated the need for a dessert. Our mains were moules provencals (from Prince Edward Island; they could have been larger) and the flatiron steak. The food was hot, a welcome sign, but this could have been improved had the plate been warmed as well. Both mains were enjoyable, well prepared and presented. Indeed, after my appetizer, the serving of (precut) steak was generous. Service was knowledgeable, efficient and free of the "Is everything alright?" intrusiveness typical of too many restaurants. Considering their proximity to the wineries of the Finger Lakes, we were puzzled by the absence of more local wines on the list. But as were were driving home after the meal, this was not a concern. Overall, a terrific meal and we'll be sure to dine there again on our next visit to Oswego.

• Visited August 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Eclectic Menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Must try the Steaky Bacon, it's awesome! Smoked slab of bacon braised in wine, garlic and thyme then roasted crispy. Honey-allspice pan jus ($8). This is one of those "best thing I ever ate" kind of dishes.

Visited August 2013