“Delicious Lunch”

Bistro 197
Ranked #8 of 92 Restaurants in Oswego
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a causal European style storefront bistro, specializing in comfort food with a flair. We pride ourselves in only using FRESH ingredients, available organic products, the best cuts of meat, and everything is made from scratch; every sauce, every dressing, every dessert. We use preservative-free food from its rawest form, and our seafood is wild-caught and additive-free. We have craft beers and a great selection of wine. We encourage a leisurely approach to eating, taking your time, eating in courses, and enjoying company and the conversation of family and friends. Come check us out and see what comfort food done right is all about.
“Delicious Lunch”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a great lunch at the Bistro. The SalmonBLT was wonderful, as was my husband's beef short rib sandwich. The sandwiches were so filling that we didn't have room for dessert! And the price was very reasonable.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Katherine P

Kingston, Canada
“Unexpected Pleasure”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The owner of the local bookstore, River's End (a gem), recommended Bistro 197 and we were not disappointed. The menu had range but was not overwhelming. As appetizers, my wife enjoyed the large crab cake (perhaps two or three smaller and slightly crispier ones would be better?) and my blueberry Wellington eliminated the need for a dessert. Our mains were moules provencals (from Prince Edward Island; they could have been larger) and the flatiron steak. The food was hot, a welcome sign, but this could have been improved had the plate been warmed as well. Both mains were enjoyable, well prepared and presented. Indeed, after my appetizer, the serving of (precut) steak was generous. Service was knowledgeable, efficient and free of the "Is everything alright?" intrusiveness typical of too many restaurants. Considering their proximity to the wineries of the Finger Lakes, we were puzzled by the absence of more local wines on the list. But as were were driving home after the meal, this was not a concern. Overall, a terrific meal and we'll be sure to dine there again on our next visit to Oswego.

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Eclectic Menu”
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Must try the Steaky Bacon, it's awesome! Smoked slab of bacon braised in wine, garlic and thyme then roasted crispy. Honey-allspice pan jus ($8). This is one of those "best thing I ever ate" kind of dishes.

Visited August 2013
Southern NH
“A surprising gem in Oz.”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Was tipped off by locals to try one of the new upscale locations, and it certainly surpassed expectations. Creative menu, good wine and beer list (no liquor), and attentive service. The blueberry, goat cheese, puff pastry appetizer is simply outstanding. What excellent flavors and contrasts. Others in my party had the various style preparations of mussels, which are reasonably priced, and ample enough portions to be a meal for smaller appetites. As the main, just the description of the bistro burger, with enough ingredients to make one wonder, "what will this be?" peaked my curiosity and am glad it did. It was one of the best burger preparations I've ever had. Creative layers of flavors and a thickness that made this hands-on guy have to reach for a knife. Only criticism is the floppy fries that could have used more attention to crispness. Prior to the meal, an excellent homemade pesto accompanied the bread, and a decent (not superb) creme brûlée rounded out the evening. Definitely go. You won't regret it.

Oswego, New York
“Very creative dishes excellent food quality”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was my first trip to the Bistro and I was very pleased with the quality and presentation of the food. I ordered the flat iron steak with black cheery and pomegranate glaze and it was absolutely packed with subtle flavors that just flowed together in a way that every flavor came through but it was not overpowering. I am not a squash eater but the seasonal vegetable mix had both zucchini and summer squash and I could not get enough of it. The seasoning and the way it was sautéd was amazing. I would highly recommend this place to anyone. It is a great date night location, perfect if you want to make a good impression.
While the service was good the waitress had zero personality and we got the clear idea she did not want to be a server but, she did her job.