“IF YOU WANT THE BEST FOOD IN TOWN, BETTER GO HERE!!!!!”
Review of Bistro 197

Bistro 197
Ranked #8 of 92 Restaurants in Oswego
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a causal European style storefront bistro, specializing in comfort food with a flair. We pride ourselves in only using FRESH ingredients, available organic products, the best cuts of meat, and everything is made from scratch; every sauce, every dressing, every dessert. We use preservative-free food from its rawest form, and our seafood is wild-caught and additive-free. We have craft beers and a great selection of wine. We encourage a leisurely approach to eating, taking your time, eating in courses, and enjoying company and the conversation of family and friends. Come check us out and see what comfort food done right is all about.
Oswego, New York, United States
“IF YOU WANT THE BEST FOOD IN TOWN, BETTER GO HERE!!!!!”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I have been here 5 times and it just keeps better every time!!! The appetizer tonight was named STINKY BACON and let me tell you it was absolute HEAVEN!!! This place ROCKS!!!! If you come to the city of Oswego .....you NEED to eat here!!!!!!

• Visited May 2013

“The best food in town, without a doubt!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is my favorite place to eat in Oswego, by far! The food is exceptional, the service is always warm and welcoming an the atmosphere is beautiful. If you haven't eaten here yet, you are truly missing out!

• Visited May 2013
Chalfont, Pennsylvania, United States
“My Stomach Is Doing The Happy Dance”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I was recently in town and wanted to take my parents out for their 42nd anniversary. Wow, am I glad we ended up at Bistro 197! This place is awesome. We started with appetizers of which everyone was very impressed. My personal favorite was the blueberry wellington. Sweet enough to start or end the meal and just enough not to fill you up, but leave you wanting more. The salads were also unique, fresh and delicious. Now for the good part - Dinner. Wow times 2! Everything was made to order and you could tell that special attention was given to each of our plates. The steak was heavenly and my mom who "wasn't that hungry" would have licked her plate if not in a fine dining restuarant. I will be back next time I am in town and the next one after that, and the next one after that.....

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Patricia T
Burnt Hills, New York
“Definitely the best”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Second trip here (175 miles from home). If you want the best food you've ever had, then this is your restaurant. If you are in a hurry for dinner, go elsewhere because everything is prepared to order. We had the salmon appetizer (I won't normally order salmon as it can be dry) which was excellent. We also had he trio soup appetizer. The crab bisque was top shelf. A huge surprise was the black bean soup, which I would never believe to be so good. I'm sure the cream of celery is good, but I'm not a fan of celery. I had the diver scallops which by themselves were great. But, they came with fettuccini with a crab, lemon and dill sauce which is unique and great. Not too rich, just perfect. As luck would have it, they were out of ribeye steak and my wife had the flat iron steak which came with a black cherry and pomegranate sauce- again spot on. My son had the tornadoes (filet). Anyone can make a filet taste good, but again this was notable. I wish this place was closer, because it truly is great.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank Larry R
Oswego, New York
“Best restaurant in Oswego”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I've been here numerous times, most recently this past weekend. Bistro is small and probably best suited for a date, but it's hit the spot for all kinds of occasions, including dinners with family and with colleagues. The food is always fresh, with impeccable ingredients and careful preparation. Although I gravitate toward meat and fish when I eat out, my favorite items on the menu are the salads, especially those with goat cheese and toasted almonds. They are truly the best salads I've ever had. The salmon BLT I had for lunch here was so good it's spoiled me for salmon burgers forever. The bistro menu changes frequently and there are inspired daily specials, so the selection never gets old. The interior is nice, especially the brick wall with the chalkboard wine and beer menus -- it makes you feel like you're some comfortable hole-in-the-wall restaurant in NYC. Overall, an excellent restaurant. We try to go here at least once a month. Oswego has several fine restaurants, but this one is in a class by itself.

• Visited March 2013