“Review for Fishing Charter and Campground”
Review of K&G Lodge

K&G Lodge
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Oswego
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
“Review for Fishing Charter and Campground”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

It was the first time my husband and I were going salmon fishing on Lake Ontario and we spent quite a bit of time researching the charter companies before deciding on K&G. Although they were more expensive than other Oswego based charters, we thought it was worth it based on the quality and size of the boat vs. the other companies. I'm happy to say that I think we made a really good choice. We went on the "Son of a Gun" with Capt Chad and "deck hand" Dan. Both were really friendly, helpful and enthusiastic for us when reeling in our fish. We had a great time and caught our limit.

As far as the lodge itself, I can't comment on the lodge rooms, cabins, or 1881 restaurant since we have a camper and stayed in the campground. The campground was just average and the Wi-fi didn't work at our site (I did ask at the office if I was using the right one, but they weren't helpful and just shrugged their shoulders and said it should work up where we were). I guess I was expecting a really nice, way above average facility from the way their brochure talked about it being a "premier destination". In fact, the owner almost didn't allow us to reserve a campsite because they "don't allow tents or truck campers". I thought that rule was a little bizarre for a campground but figured they wanted to keep it "resort-like" and I think he meant sleeping in the back of pick-up trucks with "caps". Once I explained that our slide-in truck camper was "full-size" (kitchen/bathroom/etc.) and we needed full hook-ups, he finally agreed to reserve us a site. Everything else went well after that little hiccup. The e-mail communications we received prior to our trip were very good, but the signage in the campsite itself left a lot to be desired and we had a bit of a time deciding where to check in at since the office isn't obvious as it is attached to their house and the sites are not numbered.

The only other thing we thought would have been offered was a shuttle from the lodge/campground to the marina since it is about ten minutes away. We've been to other places like this that own both the lodging and charter service and a shuttle service seems to be the standard. Not a big deal for most people, but we had to pack up everything at 4:30 in the morning so we could drive our truck and camper rig over to the marina. Luckily, the parking lot at the mariana was huge, so it wasn't a problem.

So, I gave an overall rating of "very good" since the fishing charter gets an "excellent" rating and the lodge/campground gets an "average".

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 5dogdays

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bronx
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at the Lodge in one of the cabins with a group of friends recently as we had Charted the Boat the Top Gun for two half day trips. The cabin was clean and had all the amenities necessary to make us comfortable, flat-screen TV A/C Hot showers a refrigerator etc. The Lodge area is outside of town and was very quiet. There is a restaurant there with a full service bar and all of the staff were very pleasant. I would stay here again as it was just what we needed for a group of guys Salmon Fishing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MichaelBronx
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed in the standard and double cabins for two nights. The staff was extremely friendly. Felt like we were regulars. Food at the restaurant was awesome and very affordable for the types of entrees and portions. We will definitely be regulars going forward.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Nina W
Cheektowaga, New York, United States
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I along with 2 other friends, Karla and Sharon had the pleasure to enjoy our stay at the K&G Lodge. The rooms were very clean, comfortable and inviting. The hotel and Restaurant staff were very friendly and the food at 1881 Steakhouse was delicious. I loved everything about our stay at the Lodge - the only matter was that there was no breakfast offered. I enjoyed the pool, as it was very clean. The bathroom was very neat and clean and fully stocked. I would recommend booking and staying at the Lodge in Oswego. Check in is very fast and friendly. Was impressed as to how accommodating everyone was to our needs. RandyLynn was our server at Restaurant, she was an exceptional server, very friendly, always made sure to check on us, and was just awesome to do business with. I would definitely book another stay - See you next year for the Sterling Renaissance Faire. Our staying at Riverside Inn is a thing of the past - Hello My New Friends at K&G Lodge.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eric F
Hillsdale, New York
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We've stayed at K&G a few times now, all for fishing trips on Lake Ontario. I wouldn't even consider finding another place to stay. The prices are reasonable, the accommodations are super clean and it's right outside of town. We've stayed in the Lodge Rooms and the cabins. The lodge rooms are wonderful. Clean, cozy and provide everything you need. The cabins have a kitchenette and a living room area in addition to the 2 bedrooms. Check in is a breeze, and the staff is super friendly! They also have the 1881 Steakhouse on the property, which has great food and it's really nice to be able to walk to and from dinner!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Voluntown
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I've stayed at K&G Lodge many times and it's always a great experience. The rooms are large, comfortable and very clean. Everyone is incredibly friendly and do whatever they can to make your stay enjoyable. I highly recommend staying at K&G Lodge whenever you're in the Oswego area.

Room Tip: The cabins are great.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank VoluntownRay
Millbrook, New York
Reviewed May 10, 2013

What a great experience we had fishing and dining at K & G Lodge! The facilities are super clean, the food is great and the fishing was outstanding!! Greg and Chad were terrific fishing outfitters, professional, courteous and lots of fun.
If you enjoy fishing, you will love K & G Lodge! In fact, we just booked another trip for this year!

Room Tip: We stayed in the cabins which are clean and very homey.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oswego
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oswego
#3 of 10 in Oswego
All Seasons Inn
All Seasons Inn
#6 of 10 in Oswego

Been to K&G Lodge? Share your experiences!