“No Butter?”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband, daughter, nephew, and close family friends were in Oswego visiting my oldest daughter who is a student attending SUNY Oswego. Eating dinner at the 1881 steakhouse was a big mistake. We hoped the quality of food would make up for the lack of creativity on the menu. This was not the case. The tempura green beans barely had a tempura batter on them and the dipping sauce was boring and bland. When breadsticks were served, a friend asked if he could have butter. We were informed that there was no butter. NO BUTTER? Have you ever heard of a restaurant not having butter? We began to wonder what the kitchen was cooking with. Not to mention that the server did not offer any option to the butter the restaurant did not have. Entries were served with a choice of any $4 side. When my daughter requested a $4 side salad she was told that was not an option. Overall the food was either bland, (sautéed vegetables), or terribly over spiced, (Cajun fries). When asked if we cared for a homemade dessert we politely declined imagining how disappointed we would have been eating a dessert that is not baked using butter.

1  Thank Toesand
There are newer reviews for 1881 Steakhouse

Reviewed October 6, 2013

The first thing I noticed was how friendly every person was that worked there! All of them were helpful and knowledgable. The food was fair priced and delicious!! Try the beef tips. Yummy!! Everything was clean, from the table to the bathroom. Well done 1881!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Had the best meal at 1881 Steakhouse this past weekend... had never been there, was in Oswego for a Conference . . . I would definitely recommend this place to everyone. Started the meal with the crab cake appetizer (OMG!) it was to die for. Had the farmer's salad -- delicious! Ordered the porterhouse steak special (cooked to perfection) topped with onions and mushrooms ... amazing! Had the green beans for a side (they were a little disappointing - some were cooked more than others) But ended the dinner with the caramel topped cheese cake -- scrumptious! Will definitely go back if I'm every out that way again!

Oh, and the service . . . Tracy, our waitress, was the sweetest thing. She was knowledgable of the menu, pleasant, didn't miss a thing and made the meal even more enjoyable. Ask for her by name !!!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

As a former Chef to another I want to take my hat off to Chef Christian for an amazing meal Lisa for amazing service, Lynn for getting us started and Melissa for our drinks. My girlfriend and I started with the Bacon Sallops which were cooked to perfection, after we dove into our grilled ceaser salads which in my opinion is a no brainier choice, its just a fantastic salad. For our entrees we received our eye appealing steaks with sides of 1881 Mac n Cheese, Ashton ordered the Mocha sirloin topped with a fried onion A great combo on the pallet, And I had the delmonico, both were cooked to a perfect medium rare just as we had ordered them and seasoned perfectly. 1881 Mac n cheese was simply delicious Mac n cheese with smoked gooda? Yes please. Overall Amazing food, atmosphere and Staff. We will be back most defiantly.

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Took friends from Colorado to eat and had a very pleasant dining experience. Wait staff was very knowledgeable regarding menu selections and the food was cooked to perfection. Our friends were impressed with the quality of the meals seeing that they are used to dining in the Denver area.