“Save Time & relax as well”
Review of Cross Sound Ferry

Cross Sound Ferry
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Orient
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Save yourself time and agony, plus relax and enjoy the view or get some work done to and from Long Island, NY. The ferry is efficient and quick and they offer coffee and snacks as well. You can't beat it and they take good care of you.

1  Thank AlreadyBeenThere
in 7 reviews
"hour trip"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed June 12, 2011

I was travelling back from New England and did not want the hassle of New York City traffic. I booked a reservation ahead of time for a 9:00AM ferry ride from New London to Orient Point. My husband and I stayed in Warwick so we could get to the ferry early the next morning. We got there at 7:30AM and the nice man that met us put us right on the 7:30AM ferry AND proceeded to tell me I had overpaid for our ride. I paid for the car and 2 people - I only needed to pay for 1 additional person since 1 person is included in the price with the car. He printed out a receipt which I took to the ticket office when we landed. I love the ride from Orient Point - what Long Island used to be like before strip centers and housing developments. A little pricey, but worth it for a nice boat ride.

Reviewed April 16, 2011

The staff is totally afraid of telling anyone who arrives without a reservation (or late with one) the truth - you won't get on this boat. Instead, they give you a non-committal "no guarantee" and allow you to stew in the standby line. Here's a small note to the staff - why not assign a reservation on the next available boat as standby passengers check in?

We normally drive on the Port Jeff ferry (up to three times a month) - should have done that for this trip as well. We won't return, under any circumstances.

6  Thank xsoundsux
Reviewed March 22, 2011

I will admit to being a frequent Cross Sound Ferry traveler for when I have business on Long Island. While sometimes the Bridgeport to Port Jefferson ferry might be an easier commute on the island for me, I would rather not deal with the traffic on 95 (or worse yet over the bridges) unless I am going on weekends in the morning or late at night. The Cross Sound is a great location, right off 395 because you don't have to worry about much traffic at all on the highway. The only place traffic can get to be rough is through Riverhead during business hours sometimes on the way to 495. Still, nothing like the hours you could sit on 95.

The biggest thing that annoys me about Cross Sound recently is that their new 'Captain's Card' commuter program is the complete opposite of streamlining the process. A year or so ago, commuters who travel on the ferry could use commuter books to make their reservation. You arrive at the terminal 15 minutes early and they tear out a ticket from the book at the ticket office and you are all set. The process took around 30 seconds.

Now there is a credit card type thing with a 16 digit number which is printed in small numbers on the back of the card which you have to read off to the reservation agent on the phone vs. the 4 digit commuter book number of old, making it impossible to make reservations while driving. If you pre-load over $200 on the card, you save 5%. $400+ gets you 10% off. However, you cannot combine payments of a credit card and a Captain's Card. So, when Cross Sound impliments a fuel surcharge when gas prices go up (as they always do) it is impossible to know how much to load onto the card.

Several times I have called up to make a reservation knowing I loaded enough onto the card for X amount of trips, and when I get to the last trip they tell me I have to load more money onto the card with my credit card first and then make the reservation using my Captain's Card because I was a $2.52 fuel charge short in terms of my card balance. Huge hassle. Also, the policy about cancelling or changing reservations with the Captain's Card vs. the old commuter book is way too involved.

They also have some sort of rewards program that gives you points for each time you take the ferry but seriously, this program is so confusing it is like reading a legal contract in terms of how you earn and use the points. And there is no card, just a 6 digit number which you have to give or log in every single time you make a reservation even though your name and address are linked to your reservations in the system. Seriously, the level of red tape involved in their new programs and disorganized computer system is a complete hassle.

Also, the fuel surcharges are constantly being added to the fares because of rising gas prices. While I understand that gas prices do dictate their cost of doing business, it gets frustrating to see 5.8% 'floating' surcharges added and 2.8% 'fuel surcharges' added willy nilly. Another thing I have noticed is that sometimes when fuel prices go back down, the fuel charge has stayed in effect. Over the years I have watched the cost of the ferry rise to almost $50 from $36 because of several fuel surcharges that remained.

Aside from all the front off mumbo jumbo which makes it a lot more frustrating to travel ... once you are on the boat (and make sure to arrive 30 minutes before your reservation or they WILL cancel your spot ... put you in standby and you will likely wait a few hours to leave ... another new policy that sucks as they used to give you 15 minutes) it is a nice enjoyable ride over.

There is a cafe which has soup, sandwiches and baked goods, etc. There is usually a top deck where you can sit and have a cigar on a nice day. There are a few tables and booths for people to sit in, although these usually go pretty quick. And plenty of seats, some with trays like on an airplane. When the boats are crowded, they are pretty noisy and it is hard to find a seat. However, when the boats are not crowded, it is a joy to just relax and look out the window and not have to worry about driving on 95.

The loading process is pretty easy and you don't really have to worry too much about having to manuver your car into small spots. Overall, this is a great service that has been getting more expensive each year. Soon, the price will outweigh the saved time/effort in driving to NY if Cross Sound isn't careful about their pricing but for now, it is a good alternative.

The ferry will drop you off right at the end of the island and you will drive through wine country and pass about 15 wineries (all of which have started charging for tastings unfortunately) and past a large outlet mall in Riverhead, right before 495. On the other side, it drops you off in downtown New London near Mystic Seaport and about 15 minutes away from the famous Mystic Pizza. It is also only a few exits from Mohegan Sun Casino (10 minute drive from the ferry) where they will give you a $15 bet voucher and $15 food voucher to every passenger and driver who shows the receipt in the casino. This is a great deal because a car full of 4 people can have a quick free lunch and make $15 worth of bets on the money wheel at no cost by making a simple stop from the ferry.

7  Thank LovinHotelLife