“Huge portions! Pleasant atmosphere.”

Mangia Ristorante & Caffe
Ranked #1 of 73 Restaurants in Orchard Park
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We've eaten at Mangia before and weren't overly impressed, but this visit changed our tune. Lucky to have made reservations, it was standing room only on a Monday night. We were seated right away, in the smaller, back dining room, where the volume was a pleasant hum. Took a few minutes for our server to get to us, as she had a couple of large parties, but when she arrived she was very friendly and attentive.

The appetizers were delicious (Gourmet meatball and an order of calamari), and coupled with the two breads and dipping oils, we were already on our way to being full before our entrees even arrived. The wine comes with a heavy pour, which is never a bad thing. Our four entrees were all enormous and so delicious. I had the lasagna and it was literally the size of my head - I barely made a dent in it. We couldn't even fathom dessert, but they looked wonderful when we saw them on their way to other tables.

I will say - many reviews complain about the noise level and crowded bar area in Mangia. There is now a Lounge upstairs, where people just in for drinks or waiting for tables can go. We went up to take a peek and it was really nice! Very spacious and modern. So - definitely consider it as a slightly more upscale place to go for drinks in OP. Looking forward to going back again!

There are newer reviews for Mangia Ristorante & Caffe

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We went there for lunch and the cashier that took our order was really snobby and she seemed like she was in a hurry to leave. It was my first time there and I really don't want to go back. She made me feel like I was bothering her.

As for the food the soup was good but the chicken was very dry.

3  Thank Kat8405
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Surprisingly good Italian food in Orchard Park. In town visiting relatives, but otherwise not familiar with the area. Right at the main intersection of the village. The restaurant is very nicely renovated inside and has a good atmosphere. We were there on a Tuesday night with a winter storm, so not too crowded, but I gather from relatives that reservations are usually a must.

Very ambitious menu which had me expecting very low quality. I was very pleasantly surprised. The chef has a somewhat heavy hand with olive oil (excellent quality, by the way) and garlic (one can never have enough in my view...). Check your diet at the door and enjoy.

Appetizers in our group: They start you with a very tasty basket of warm Italian bread to dip in an excellent herbed olive oil mixture (very good, but leave some room!) as well as little squares of a tasty, warm focaccia with tomatoes and onions. Our group had: "Greens & beans": a warm salad of arugula with white navy beans in olive oil and garlic (among others). Quite good. Arugula and beet salad with goat cheese and candied pecans - excellent. Lamb "lollipops" - very good (billed as an appetizer, my mother would have been happy had that been her whole meal) - served over a small arugula salad. Scallops with rasberry puree. Again, arugula salad (confession: I LOVE arugula, so this place had my number). Jumbo scallops went well with the puree

Mains - two of our group wanted Pizza. These were nicely done (thin crust, not overly dressed to the point of collapsing). I had "saltimbocca alla romana" and asked for a substitute of spaghetti instead of potatoes. No problem and done as nicely as any I have had in Rome (a bit heavy on the sauce would be my only moderately negaive comparative to saltimbocca I have had in Rome). My wife had a stuffed chicken special which was served with homemade buccatini that was also very nice.

Desert - I had just come back from Sicily a couple of weeks ago, so tried the cannoli as a test. These should be filled with ricotta only at the last moment to keep the pastry crispy. Mission accomplished - the pastry was cripy, the ricotta fresh. Very authentic (only drawback: they sprinkle chocolate chips on top which I believe would have any Sicilian fainting dead away at the mere thought of it, but easy enough not to eat and looks nice in the presentation, so I don't really take away marks for that.

Wine - had an EXCELLENT bottle of 2011 Justin Paso Robles for only $40. All food prices were pretty normal to my eyes, coming from a big city. And frankly, having come back from Sicily just two weeks prior, lower than in Italy. I see some of the reviews say prices were high. I guess it's all relative. Pastas (very large selection and quite imaginative) were all in the $15-$20 range; mains $22-$30 by and large and appetizers $8-$12 more or less. Judge for yourself.

Impeccable quality and a chef who knows his business. This won't be earning any Michelin stars tomorrow - not super fancy, high end "foodie fare". This is good Italian comfort food well executed by people who know their craft.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We had arrived to this very busy place and thankful we made reservations, with people waiting in every nook and cranny, our table was ready 5 minutes after our requested time, which was very reasonable for this crowded house. Our waitress was new and very pleasant and well trained. decent wine list and priced reasonable so we ordered a bottle of the featured red. We shared an appetizer of stuffed peppers, they were very hot and fully stuffed wonderful! Our salads were fresh and very enjoyable, when our entrees arrived of ravioli and a veal dish that they willingly accommodated my substitution were done perfect and presented very nicely. We ordered dessert that was very tasty but that was the only part that I am not sure if it was house made. can't wait to return. even the valet guys were extremely pleasant. we now know why this place is so busy.

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Always enjoy Mangia. Its a classy restaurant in a classy town. Reminds me of the fine Italian restaurants I've frequented in the greater New York city area. Food and service are always good. Only suggestion is they could use a bit more garlic in their dishes. Mangia!