“Do NOT recommend! Not worth the price, terrible night here, read below”

Holiday Inn Orangeburg - Rockland / Bergen
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Orangeburg
Chicago, Illinois
“Do NOT recommend! Not worth the price, terrible night here, read below”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

At best it's 2 or 2.5/5 stars. The hallway smelled like old socks, seriously. The room #145 had wall paper peeling from the wall (see my pictures for proof), I had NO TOWELS of any kind in the room. When I walked to the front desk to get towels, the 19 y.o. kid at the front desk acted like this happens all the time. He turned around, went to a back room to get me towels, handed them to me a never said anything ... no sorry, no "I'll let the day manager know", nothing.

The air conditioner had dirt/mold in the grill on the top and then it kept shutting it's self off because the curtain above it is too long and holds the cool air in and tricks the thermometer to think it's at temp (see pictures). I had to put my computer against the curtain to hold it back to fix this myself.

There were about 5-6 rooms as I walked down the hall that had the doors propped open with the swing-lock - what's that about? Was that some kind of "invite" or code? That was weird boardering on creepy. I've never seen that in all the hotels I've stayed in... Security!?!

I was here for business and I told the company I was visiting to NEVER send anyone to this hotel. It was the worst place I have stayed in years. And the price at my companies corp rate $140 is a joke. At $75 I could forgive some of the problems, but not at the price they are getting. I have stayed at the Holiday Inn at Newark Airport a couple months ago and that was a decent place and worth the $120 I paid.

The following night I stayed at the Hilton Pearl River, about 5 miles away. At $160, wow it was night and day. I would give them 4/5 or 4.5/5 and only $20 more. Everything was near perfect, I recommend this Hilton for anyone staying in the area.

Very dissapointed. I could go on, but I'm getting my blood pressure up just remembering the night. Do yourself a favor and do not stay here unless you are paying $50-$75.

Room Tip: Do not get #145
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Orangeburg - Rockland / Bergen, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear J S,

Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am very sorry to hear about the inconveniences you encountered over the quality and service of our hotel. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. Thank you for alerting us and bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We have frequently had the pleasure of staying at the Holiday Inn Orangeburg executive suites. Staff at the front desk are always friendly and accommodating; they recognize us from previous visits and often offer complimentary drink cards for the hotel bar. Working for a nearby high profile university, we often recommend our visitors stay at this hotel. Regina has been exceptionally helpful and professional; we always look forward to planning our reservations with her. Our rooms have constantly been clean thanks to the housekeeping staff and during our summer stays the outdoor pool is fantastic. The continental breakfast and easy access to the business center and lounge areas are excellent.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Orangeburg, New York
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This summer we had a block of rooms at the Holiday Inn in Orangeburg, NY for a family reunion. Regina in sales was phenomenal to work with and extremely professional. Actually, all the staff members were nice and very accommodating. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. Our family loved the outdoor pool and congregating in our comped room which served as our hospitality suite. This hotel is conveniently located to everything. I would definitely recommend staying here!.

Room Tip: King-bed junior suite that opens up to the outdoor pool is highly recommended!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Valley Cottage, New York, United States
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We used the Holiday Inn Orangeburg as the hotel for the guests at our wedding to use. Not only was the facility beautifully updated, but the customer service was excellent. We spoke with both Regina and Nicole on a regular basis and they were there to answer all of our questions and were super accommodating. They kept the bar open late for our guests after the wedding and the brunch the next day was delicious. I would 100% recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Nanuet, New York
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We recently chose the Holiday Inn for our wedding block. We couldn't be happier with everything about the hotel. All of our guests were happy with their rooms. Everything was clean, and the rooms were updated. The complimentary weekday breakfast was awesome, and they even kept it open a little late for us. Everyone was helpful and kind.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Terri N
connecticut
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stayed here over the weekend while attending a family function nearby in Rockland County.
My flight was delayed into the area a few hours and was exhausted and not happy, but I was quickly blown away by the wonderful service that I experienced at the hotel. Crystal at the front desk was very polite and called our room after we checked in to see how everything was-how great! Nice to be recognized for my Priority Club membership.The room was nicely appointed and immaculate. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the morning and had a glass of wine in the evening at the bar ,which had a nice crowd for a Sunday. The employees(didnt get the names of everyone) were so personable! Didn't get a chance to use the outdoor pool as the weather was terrible. Had dinner at the nice Italian restaurant across the street and then off to the Palisades mall(less than 10 min. away)for a movie. The employees here are very cordial-all greeting us when we walked by and members of management team would ask how our stay was and if we needed anything.This hotel worked out so well that we will stay here when we visit family and friends. Big kudos to the management and staff as we were treated extremely well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hanover, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I had business in northern New Jersey and in Rockland Co., NY that spanned 2 days. Rather than drive back into the city, I decided to book a room at this hotel, near to where my business would be the next morning.

I booked a king-bed room in the Executive Wing of the hotel. It was a small suite, in actuality, with 2 large, flatscreen TVs -- one facing the bed and one facing the sitting area. Two bottles of filtered water were provided free of charge -- one near the small coffee maker and one in the small fridge below. There were two closets -- one between the bathroom door and the living area, and one between the living area and the bed. The window in my room looked out on the pool area. All in all, the place was quiet and pleasant. Free wi-fi service is available, and they give you the log-in code at check-in.

The bathroom was surprisingly large, and I was very pleased to see a spacious spa shower, with sliding glass doors, with a regular shower head on one side, and three adjustable jets on the other side.

Being a Priority Club member/customer, upon check-in, I was given a ticket for a free drink at the bar, which was appreciated. The breakfast buffet in the morning was included in the price of the room, which is not always the case at a Holiday Inn. At a Holiday Inn Express, yes, but not always at a Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the Executive wing of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Brian M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orangeburg
Residence Inn Orangeburg Rockland/Bergen
Hilton Pearl River
Hilton Pearl River
#1 of 1 in Pearl River
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson

Been to Holiday Inn Orangeburg - Rockland / Bergen? Share your experiences!