“No weekend breakfast”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Orangeburg
Brooklyn, New York
“No weekend breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

Nice clean hotel with pool in summer, close to the Palisades Pkwy. About 20 miles to Manhattan. My only complaint is there is no free breakfast on weekends, we walked through the parking lot to a bagel store and fed four for the price of one buffet meal. There are a few restaurants within walking distance, an Italian, a pizzaria and a Mexican across busy 303.

Room Tip: Ask for the new building and avoid eating in the exec suite, see previous post.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

My husband and I went away June 5-7th, 2012 for a romantic getaway and to see some blues concerts. We stayed in the executive suite with jacuzzi.
The grounds are beautifully maintained. My only complaint there is that they were fertilizing and the smell was a bit overwhelming; but that is minor as it has to be done.
Check-in was fast and friendly.
The room was AMAZING! Upon entering, we had an executive table surrounded with 8 executive chairs...we weren't there on business, but we sure did utilize the table to fulfill several fantasies...lol. A separate room had the king bed...which was wonderfully comfortable. Each room had a sliding glass door leading to the pool. Although it stated the pool was open, the doors were locked and no one could enjoy.
The jacuzzi was in the bathroom (which I don't particularly care for, but again that is minor). My biggest problem was the drain on the jacuzzi leaked continuously. I asked to get a rubber drain cover and was told that maintenance would have to come in and assess the situation. I went to the front desk to speak with them and was told the same thing...they need to come in and assess what type of cover thay would need. I don't want hotel employees in my room when we are away on a romantic getaway...for obvious reasons. He told me he needed to measure the drain. I told him my husband could do that. He refused...stating he needs to see exactly what he needs (a rubber drain cover doesn't seem that difficult to understand, right?). Anyway, we just kept the water running when we were in it...which was a lot!
Breakfast was plentiful and tasty, but half the dining room was closed...blocked off with chairs. I didn't understand this as seats were full. I went back to my room and returned approx 20 minutes later to find the empty tables still dirty. Went back to my room and returned approx 15 minutes later and found the tables still soiled with dishes and other's leftovers. Staff was present, but standing around talking. Finally, we made ourselves plates and took them to our room.
Overall, our trips are what we make of them...and we had a great time. I do think they should get rubber drain covers and educate their maintenance staff (to save them money, at least). I also think they should check in on their breakfast staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PaGinny
Seminole
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

This was a clean and well run hotel with a friendly knowledgeable staff. Management was visibly involved with the running of the hotel and chipping in wherever needed. A full breakfast with several fresh choices is included. As a single female business traveler, this four day stay was a welcome stop.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JillSeminole
Park Ridge, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

Good Holiday Inn for a quick visit to the area. Make sure you ask for a room in the new wing. It's the best of the hotels in the immediate area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new wing.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank kib57
Stratford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

The Holiday Inn in Orangeburg, New York, gets my approval as a place to stay. If you are looking for a well-kept, not that expensive place, you cannot go wrong with this hotel. The staff is friendly, the room appointments and cleanliness is quite fine.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

Stayed there last January. Great value. As another reviewer said, there are two types of rooms and the cheaper ones aren't as nice. At first, the room seemed like a nicer motel room, but over the trip it grew on me. The only things I honestly disliked about the room itself was that the cheaper rooms didn't have microwaves (there is one available in the common area though) and the TV's were a little old and didn't have any sort of AV hookups. Both are just minor inconveniences, but I mention them because other hotels I've stayed at have had these things. The staff was VERY accommodating, and one staff member actually helped cover the rest of my cab fare when I was short 5 bucks (and didn't let me pay them back for their kindness). The general location is great, not too complicated to get to New York City. The specific location is a different story though. The hotel is located on a major road with no sidewalk or any safe way to walk from place to place. This is a problem because there aren't many relevant businesses in the area save for a bank and two small restaurants. The hotel can hardly be faulted for this, but they make up for it by offering frequent and regular (though not 24-hour) shuttle service to most local destinations, including the Palisades mall. Reservations for shuttles are required. Overall, I'm very happy with my stay. Great value, staff who try their hardest to help, only a little bit out of the way. Will stay here again next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Bellmore, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

Hotel is nice, lobby is clean and inviting, staff was pleasant.

They were in the middle of switching out the old tube tis for flat screen lcds which was an upgrade.

We went out for dinner, we decided not to go to the movies, but just relax and watch a flick in the room.... when we got back, after trying to get the movie on demand feature to work for 15 minutes, we called to the front desk and they told us that they didn't reprogram the system to work with the new tis and remotes. Had they told us this on check-in we would have gone out to the movies.
\
Also the hallways are incredibly long, which is not an issue for me, but there was a dance or gymnastic competition near by and kids were using the hallways as a race course for all hours of the night. Very noisy.

Room was clean, but had that dated look, bed was incredibly firm

Room Tip: try to get one at the end of a hallway, it must be a lot quieter.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orangeburg
Residence Inn Orangeburg Rockland/Bergen
Hilton Pearl River
#1 of 1 in Pearl River
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Nanuet
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown

Been to Holiday Inn Orangeburg - Rockland / Bergen? Share your experiences!