“Sometimes it's the little things that make or break a stay”

Holiday Inn Oneonta
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Oneonta
Reviewed August 16, 2013

In our case, it broke it. It takes a lot for me to write a negative review here, this may only be my second or third, but it has to be done. We were able to check in a little early, a plus. Upon entering I found the room to be clean enough, once I killed the 2 large spiders. We went to plug in a few necessities and found that somehow, the outlets are larger than your standard plugs. I don't know how or why, but our plugs literally fell out of every outlet we tried. We noticed that the plugs on the lamps were plugged into a wall strip that was plugged into the outlet, but they were full and out of the way. When I mentioned it to others on the team, they said the same thing. Bizarre! Our shower was either hot or cold, very hard to find the "warm" on the dial. Turn it a centimeter one way it was too hot, the other way, cold. Also, no fan in the bathroom so get ready to use your blow dryer to look in the mirror! Our team set up a BBQ that the hotel offers, BIG waste. They offer 3 packages, we chose the middle one for $15 a head. It offered several options, one being Chicken or Ribs. We opted for the Ribs. Turned out they "weren't able to provide us with them", so they gave us Pulled Pork instead. Nobody was notified of this until it was questioned. When they realized we were disappointed, suddenly they showed up with a tray of ribs and the chicken (frozen grilled chicken breasts from the wholesale store that they dumped a gallon of BBQ sauce on, and stuck it in the oven). The ribs that they somehow didn't have, then were able to bring out in less time that it actually takes to cook them, were actually tasty. The "fresh corn" that they list on the menu was so bad, it had freezer burn and felt like that wax fruit your grandmother used to display. Upon holding it I told the man setting up that it was unacceptable and he had to take it back and bring more. When he took it he looked so embarrassed and said he had no idea it was like that. Basically the food was cold, bad and it was just a bummer. We had planned this for our whole team. Took the boys out of their barracks for it, they would have had a better meal of chicken nuggets back at the field. Another night, we planned to take dinner in from a local restaurant. We arranged with Tiffane, the banquet person to have a conference room, which she said would be no problem, they would even provide us with all the plates and plastic silverware. Surprise!! We got the food back to the conference room, no plates, silverware, napkins. Nothing. We asked at the front desk no less than 4 times before a man who worked there said he would give it to us but needed to know who promised it. The next morning, we had a very early game. Breakfast didn't start until 7 and we had to leave by 6:30 so I told my husband I'd get us some coffee from the lobby and we could drink it on the way. No regular coffee. So I poured us some decaf and went to cover them; guess what? The lids were too small for the cups. Had to drive to the game with an open cup and hope I didn't spill the coffee on the way. Talked about that with some team mate parents, one of the young girls was told by a desk rep "We're just tricking you sweetie" and left it at that. Another parent mentioned it and was brought out 1 lid that fit. You would think that after being informed, they would bring out enough lids to fit the cups. My husband and I went into the restaurant one night to have dinner, only 1 other couple (who happened to be on our team) was in there with their son, so there were 5 of us total. We gave our order, got caught up talking and an hour later, the hostess asked us if we were still waiting for our meals and what we ordered. Just burgers! She explained that they have 2 cooks. 1 went home early and they called the other one to come in and cover. She told us that our burgers were on the grill though. 45 minutes later, my husband and I decided to just get out because we couldn't wait any longer. The other family followed shortly after. 2 hours wasted and the dinner never even arrived. What a disgrace. We should have been told right from the start what the situation was. You don't wait an hour before explaining and then another 45 minutes after that still nothing! Free breakfast buffet was adequate. Your typical powdered eggs and bacon, potatoes etc.
It pains me that I spent about $1200 to stay here and that is at a group rate!! DO NOT under ANY circumstances pay the full price! I could have stayed at the Marriott Courtyard up the road for free using my points and I'm sure it would have been much better. If it wasn't that the rest of the team stayed here, and we wanted to be part of the group. My mistake, I'll have to eat this one.
Yes, the staff was nice and the housekeeping was good. Like I said, it's just the little things that annoy you enough to ruin a stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Mmatoltsy, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oneonta, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

So sorry things were so bad for you. We sincerely apologize about all of the issues surrounding your BBQ set up. I believe that the staff over committed based on other BBQ booking and were not able to recover. I was glad that Tifanne did compensate you but obviously we fell short in many ways during your stay and again, we truly apologize. We have made several adjustments as to how we handle these events going forward to avoid a reoccurrence of what you experienced.
I was glad that at least you did enjoy very good housekeeping service however during was not a very good stay.
Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

It's a great place to sleep because it sets on a quiet piece of property off the highway. You can open your window and enjoy the breeze without all the road noise. Overall the people that work here are the best employees a Holiday Inn could want. Super nice and always happy.

• Stayed: July 2013
OneontaHI, Manager at Holiday Inn Oneonta, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for your review! It is great to hear that our staff has provided you with excellent customer service. We strive to exceed our guests expectations. We hope you think of us whenever you are staying in our area.

Holiday Inn Oneonta

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I read the other reviews so at first i wasnt sure what to expect. It is true, there is no elevator but you really dont need one for just two floors. Showers in the am were warm, Hot in the evening. Didnt use the coffee pot. The fridge was enough for all of our food. What impressed me the most was the housekeeping staff. Towels and sheets were clean, room was clean. They were always happy and friendly. That truly made my stay. Staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful. Pools was clean and large. Maybe make it more affordable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
OneontaHI, Manager at Holiday Inn Oneonta, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! At the Holiday Inn Oneonta we make customer service a priority. I am glad to hear our housekeeping staff was doing just that. I hope you think of us each time you are in the area.
Tifanne

Reviewed July 27, 2013

This was a decent hotel in Oneonta, close to the Hall of Fame. Our room was clean but as others have mentioned, internet service was out for some of our stay. We also had an issue with the air conditioning, but the hotel was prompt with sending someone up to fix it for us (and was also prompt again later when it stopped working later that same night). We had a lot of luggage and wished for an elevator (so ask for a first floor room if you have a lot too)! There is an outdoor pool, though we didn't have time to go swimming. We did enjoy our stay and our trip to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage, ask for a room on the first floor!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review, here at the Holiday Inn Oneonta we are always looking for ways to improve the service we provide to our guests. Having input is always helpful so we know where to focus our efforts! We hope to see you next time your are in the area so we have the opportunity to show you that your comments help us to improve. Thank you for being our guest.
Tifanne

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I had a block booked with my team. I was one of the first to arrive. They told me my room was not ready and to wait at least an hour. I explained that others on the team would not be coming till late and if they can switch rooms since I have a 5 year old. No chance it seems too complicated for this staff...next time I will stay at the Hampton

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

I sincerely apologize that we did not live up to the expectations you had for your stay! At the Holiday Inn Oneonta we try to make each guest feel welcomed. Please call ahead for your next stay and speak to a manager regarding this visit, we would like the opportunity to show you that customer service is a priority for us.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Wanted to send a Huge Thank-you to every single employee at the Holiday Inn! Kayla, thank-you for making our team BBQ a hit. The staff here is wonderful, accommodating and helpful. There is no elevator, but the staff was a huge help in getting all of our luggage up the stairs. The breakfast was a great way to start the day. The location to All Star Village, is very convenient. There is a Walmart just a short drive away as well. Thanks again Holiday Inn!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
OneontaHI, Manager at Holiday Inn Oneonta, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

We are appreciative of your glowing review. Here at the Holiday Inn Oneonta we strive to not only meet but exceed our guests expectations. Baseball season is always a busy one in this area and we are glad that our staff and management team were able to make your stay an enjoyable one.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I loved this hotel! Booked the King Suite with jacuzzi. Honestly, my internet worked 100% fine on my iPad, and I had no issues. Front desk staff were super friendly. I believe the gentleman who checked us in was Zach? Taller guy with blonde hair. He was SUPER friendly. I really felt like he enjoyed talking to guests. I love that this chain has the Bonus Points too. Thanks for a great stay, guys!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
OneontaHI, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Oneonta, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am happy to hear you love our property! I hope your future travels brings you back to our area. Thank you for staying with us.

Alison Crotts
Director of Sales

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oneonta
3 mi away
#6 of 9 in Oneonta
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown
Comfort Inn & Suites Milford/Cooperstown
Best Western Plus Cooperstown Inn & Suites

Been to Holiday Inn Oneonta? Share your experiences!