“Decent Holiday Inn.”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Oneonta
Ballston Lake, New York
“Decent Holiday Inn.”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

As far as Holiday Inn's go... this one is rather average. Nothing great... but no complaints either. I usually stay here when on business in the area. The rooms are always clean. It's a bit overpriced, but usually solidly booked during the Cooperstown little league baseball season. (You'll also have unsupervised children running around the hallways during the summer season too.... just a warning).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
OneontaHI, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Oneonta, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are happy you stay with us while traveling on business. Be sure to mention your company name next time you make your reservation as there may be a discounted rate established with our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
East Greenbush, New York
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We chose to stay at the Holiday Inn in Oneonta because it is pet friendly. We were taking a little excursion to visit Howe Caverns and Ommegang Brewery and this hotel was sort of in the middle. We didn't spend too much time at the hotel, but it was clean and comfortable and the WiFi was acceptable. The breakfast cafe had a buffet with waffles, fruit, yogurt, cereal, etc for $10 a person or you could order from the menu The kids ate free and we had been given a coupon when we checked in so we only had to pay for one meal.

A wedding reception was taking place in the banquet room and there was a bit of noise from the party but luckily it wasn't too loud and we were able to sleep.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank xNYmomOf2x
OneontaHI, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Oneonta, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your review! I hope you had a great time at Howe Caverns and the brewery. I happy to hear we provided a comfortable stay for you and your family, including your pet! When visiting the area again, I hope you choose the Holiday Inn Oneonta.
Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is almost 1-mile east of downtown and on the other side of I-88. Good place to stay if touring the area or visiting Cooperstown (which is what brought us there). We found our room to be quite clean with no mold. We did have issues with the door locks but maintenence was right on it (both times) eventually replacing the entire mechanism after the first fix started to fry the wiring. From then on--absolutely no issues. The staff was courteous and friendly--all smiles from the front desk to maintenance and housekeeping. We stayed on the side farthest from the road, bar and restaurant and I'm glad we did. Saturday night included a wedding party/reception that was "thumpy", but it ended at a reasonable time and all was quiet by midnight. We pre-purchased the breakfast voucher which adds $20 to the nightly rate and is worth--exactly $20 in food purchases. This works well when travelling as a couple as the buffet runs $9.95. I overheard one trio comment that they owed '38 cents' on their menu-order breakfast. Breakfast fare is pretty much what you'd expect. The buffet included scrambled eggs, breakfast meats (both different each day), pancakes, cereals, mixed fruits, muffins, make-your-own waffles. Coffee/tea and a variety of juices are included in the buffet price. They also have a full service breakfast menu. We didn't eat any other meals at the hotel. If back in the area, I'll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Breakfast voucher good up to $20 total only.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chas501
Thank you for your review and kind words. I am happy to hear you will be staying with us again in the future. I look forward to having you back with our family.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This is a good hotel to stay at for its proximity to Cooperstown. Staff were friendly and rooms clean, comfy beds. The only drawback was the noise level from the soccer team who were also staying in the hotel. I guess you can only make the walls so thick.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. I apologize for the noise caused by the soccer team. You're right by saying we can only make the walls so thick! We do however enforce a curfew for sports teams and remain in constant contact with the coaches to ensure the teams do not get out of control and are quietly in their rooms by a certain time. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
New Jersey
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This Holiday Inn was not as updated as some properties, but my room in the back wing was in reasonable condition and clean. Bed and bed linens comfortable, bath linens typical. Heat/cool unit worked just right and not too loud. Tub/toilet showing their age. Hallway carpets also showing age.

Never did find the breakfast for which I'd been given a complimentary coupon as a Priority Club member. Restaurant was closed during the time they'd said breakfast would be available, so apparently breakfast wasn't in the restaurant. Table in hallway near lobby had coffee, tea, and some unripe fruit. I hope that isn't what they considered "breakfast."

There's a relatively large grassy area in the back, and also a basketball hoop. The area in the back was great for dog walking.

I understand this is a very tourist-y area, but I was able to make my one-night reservation on very short notice, and happily, my special location request could be accommodated. Management, perhaps the availability of the room suggests that there's really not quite that much demand for rooms priced at $170 (the AAA discount) on a Thursday night...even if it may be peak tourist season in the area?

Overall, I was happy with the cleanliness of the comfortable room and the pet-friendly site, but have mixed feelings about it due to price and the other things mentioned above. I would probably research TripAdvisor further for a less expensive place if I am in the area this time next year.

Room Tip: Rooms in back have easy access to nice dog walk area.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
OneontaHI, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Oneonta, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We offer competitive rates during our peak season and I appreciate the feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the Oneonta area.
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed here the last week of August, 2012, for one night only because other area hotels were full. Strike one happened right away when we discovered that this two story building has no elevator. Not a plus for the elderly or disabled. They have a restaurant in the building with both a dining room and a pub area. The pub was noisy and definitely not a "family" atmosphere. We opted for the dining room. When I attempted to pull out a chair for my wife the back came off - Strike Two. The meals were mediocre at best - Strike Three.

There is no complimentary breakfast, so I recommend the fine old Neptune Diner just down the road on the way to the Interstate.

On a positive note, the bed was comfortable and the washcloths and towels were very nice. Unfortunately, that was about the extent of the good news although the outdoor pool looked good and seemed well maintained. The friendly staff can't make up for the overall dreary ambiance. The $162.00 tab was way too much for what you get. I would only stay here as a last resort.

Room Tip: Try for a first floor room. There's no elevator.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. I apologize for not meeting your expectations. We continually work on improving our service and product through comments like yours.
Chappaqua, New York
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed here on August 19 after a visit to Cooperstown. The hotel is in desperate need of an update. The beds were comfortable, the a/c was adequate, but overall the room and hotel is very tired and in desperate need of a facelift! The room is quite expensive for the value. They "honored" us with a one person (we were five) free breakfast. We did not even bother!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oneonta, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear kbgdsg,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I would like to apologize for the room you received that was less than satisfactory. I also sorry for the unusual condition of our hotel that did not live up to your expectations. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest service are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oneonta
Hampton Inn Oneonta
Courtyard Oneonta Cooperstown Area
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown
Best Western Plus Cooperstown Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites at the Ballpark

Been to Holiday Inn Oneonta? Share your experiences!