“Excellent Italian dining”

Stella Luna Ristorante
Ranked #6 of 118 Restaurants in Oneonta
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Accept all major credit cards. Wi-Fi Open Lunch Mon-Fri. 11:30a.m.-2:30p.m. Open Dinner Mon-Sat. 5p.m. on>>>> Closed Sundays except Special Holidays or Events Easter, Mother's Day, etc.
Manlius, New York
“Excellent Italian dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

I've had the pleasure to dine here twice this week and have been very pleased on each occasion. On the first visit I played it safe (Lasagna) and on the second visit had one of the chef's specials (shrimp w/Linguini, capers, olives). Each dish bore the trademark of a serious chef and for this I am appreciative. I would love to get the chef's recipe for the Lasagna as it was incredibly light yet had a rich delicious taste.

Atmosphere is excellent and staff is good as well. Their bar looks to be well stocked and even has a nice selection of single malt scotches if you are so inclined. Also, the chef apparently enjoys surprising his guests - on my second night he brought out a thin slice of potato/sausage pizza to each bar patron! It was delicious!

Looking forward to sampling some of their other dishes while I am in town.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank biztraveler999
HarmonyCane, Owner at Stella Luna Ristorante, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. It's nice when people notice and appreciate the things we do and not the things we don't do. Especially now that we are in an economic slump, sometimes we think we are doing something wrong when business is not as thriving as it was when the economy was booming. So comments like yours warm our hearts because we really try hard at being a family restaurant that welcomes their patrons to be a part of our family. GRAZIE.

Franklin MA
“Nothing great. Inconsistent.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

We dropped in to order some takeout. We sat at the bar and had drinks while we waited for the order. The restaurant has a nice ambience. We had calamari at the bar and it was delicious. The bartender seemed very annoyed to have customers but the bartender-in-training was very friendly. The drinks were decent. We left with our takeout and were disappointed. We got pasta with a bolognese sauce and the pasta was overcooked. The sauce lacked the depth and complexity of good bolognese and seemed to be more like a simple meat sauce. We ended up throwing most of it away. Probably will not return.

Visited October 2012
I am really surprised at people like you. Your reviews show that you have traveled extensively throughout Italy and other parts of the world. You say that our fried calamari, "was delicious". The drinks were decent. Then you "take out" pasta !!! Come on !!! We make our pasta "al dente", to the tooth, fresh to order. When you put it in a container, you take it to your hotel room and don't eat it for let's say 10 to 15 minutes...the pasta is still hot and cooking. The Bolognese sauce is going to thicken and not have a lot of "depth and complexity", the pasta is going to be "mushy", or as you say "overcooked".
Why not sit at the bar or at a table, relax and enjoy the steam of the fresh plate of pasta and the Bolognese (That Lou makes from my sister-n-law's recipe ) with flavors of the three different meats we put in it. And eat it fresh while it's hot!!! Wow nothing like fresh. I welcome you to come back, at my cost, to come eat it here, the minute it comes out of the kitchen, not in a hotel room with plastic utensils. Come on you've been to Italy,,,,they know how to enjoy food..... come sit, a glass of wine....MANGIA, SALUTI.
Long Island,New York
“Best Italian in town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is a reliable choice for Italian food. The chicken parmagen is quite good. Nice atmosphere , decent service. I will be back.

• Visited October 2012
As I've said before, It's always a pleasure to hear positive reviews, and as I said to another patron, it's the patrons that give us the title "Best Italian in Town". We are thankful to you and We are here to do our best.
Walnut Creek, California
“Good Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is a nice place. I had a nice plate of pasta that was pretty good. The service was a little slow, but worth the wait. I am from the San Francisco bay area and I am use to waiting...Ha ha ha.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank llevans
It's always nice to get a good review, we certainly appreciate it. We won't hold it against you for being from San Francisco....ha ha ha just kidding. You are welcome to dine at our family restaurant anytime. I'm sure we won't be perfect every time, but we try our best.
Keswick, Virginia
“Just average Italian”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had reservations but still had to wait for "a table to be cleared" although we arrived a few minutes early. The food was just average Italian. The service was young kids and not very professional. The waiter spoke too quickly and could not focus, she seemed too distracted. We had the shrimp cavatelli and the shrimp parmigiana. The cavatelli was by far the better dish. The marinara sauce had no flavor at all, it was bland. If this is one of the best in Oneonta something is very wrong.

• Visited October 2012
"We had reservations but still had to wait for "a table to be cleared" although we arrived a few minutes early??? Already you start your review negatively, before you even sit and eat.
When a restaurant is busy, we can't judge when a prior table is going to leave so we can get it ready for a future reservation, come on...common sense. You came in early...the table wasn't ready...but by the time your time slot came up...The table was ready.What's the problem?
Being in a college town we don't have a pick of professional servers, but I guarantee you,
we have a fine selection of talented, intelligent young people that are eagerly trying to make a few bucks while in school and I give them a tremendous amount of credit for juggling school and a part time job.
The shrimp cavatelli is one of my favorites, thank you for that. As far as our marinara being bland....your taste buds might be correct...we make our marinara with local grown, (my brother's farm) onions, garlic , fresh basil, and salt, pepper (not from my brother's farm).
SIMPLE !!! We do not over power our sauce with what some Food Network shows tell you to do. Just SIMPLE. We want you to taste the San Marzano tomatoes in the marinara, not oregano or other foreign ingredients.
As far as being one of the best in Oneonta, we didn't choose that title, patrons have. Our track record of being in the restaurant business in Oneonta spans 40 years. Our previous restaurant ITALIAN KITCHEN and now STELLA LUNA, we are certainly proud of a 40 year span in business, quite an achievement don't you think??? We hope you will give us another try.

Been to Stella Luna Ristorante? Share your experiences!