“Still Good after all these years”

Brooks' House of BBQ
Ranked #4 of 122 Restaurants in Oneonta
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I had been to Brooks' many times as a kid. I moved and hadn't been there for over twenty years. Getting out of the car, the smell of Bar-b-Q brought back great memories. I will admit-the interior decor has not changed at all. It's a classic country feel to the place. The half chicken dinner was tasty as ever. moist and tender. Yes, my chicken fell off the bone. The place still has it after all this time. If you want chicken when in Oneonta=make the pilgrimage to Brooks'.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

My family has tried the barbequed chicken,baked beans, and coleslaw.All are good. The chicken dinner also includes either a baked potato or french fries. We find the baked potatoes small and sometimes not fully cooked and the fries are brown and quite greasy. We have not tried beef or pork there yet. Because there are long lines to eat in the restaurant, we always get takeout and eat at home or at their picnic tables outside the restaurant. We have also had Brooks barbequed chicken at catered events and it is always good.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

My sister does. I only live an hour away, so my husband & I get to go more often to our very favorite restaurant: Brooks BBQ. We have been eating at Brooks since the 1950s when it was a few picnic tables and we were not yet teens. Now it is two spacious rooms, a counter, and a picnic area (in summer & fall) with a decorating theme that proudly features chickens on the wallpaper. I smile each time I see that.
But you'd like to know about the food, right? My favorite is the chicken, my sister likes the ribs, so my husband has to have some of each - a combo plate. The french fries are made from freshly cut potatoes, not frozen. Once, a couple of months ago, my husband got ribs that were excessively fatty. He told the waitress, who replaced them. I recommend telling your waitress if something is not up to par. On the 3 occasions we have done so, it was immediately remedied.
I have seen complaints here about the small salad bar. What do you want there? It has green salad fixings (including the usual), macaroni salad, and the best coleslaw we know, as well as several dressings. All for a total meal price that is surprisingly low.
Yes, the crowd can wind around the entryway, but it usually moves quickly. These are people voting with their "wait time" that they agree with us. It's not only a local landmark, its a very good meal.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Best Chicken ever, they use a version of the Cornell Chicken Bar B Q sauce and it sure is good. The place started out with just chicken 50 years ago but now has a varied menu. We have never been disappointed. A couple can eat for $25 including tip. Coleslaw is the best I have ever had.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Great B-B-Q chicken, lives up to the hype. A folksy restaurant with lots of history. A no frills menu, salad bar very basic but comes with every meal. Gets very busy at times, but I have had good luck at the times I have gone.

Been to Brooks' House of BBQ? Share your experiences!