“A jewel in Oneonta.”

The Red Caboose Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Farm to table, fresh, locally sourced food cooked from scratch. Full dining restaurant with high quality food and service. Patio, indoor and bar seating available. Full bar, 20 different beers available. Reservations accepted. Cozy, comfortable & casual, a fitting dining venue for any demographic.
“A jewel in Oneonta.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

On a recent trip to Oneonta we happened upon the Red Caboose and we are extremely happy we did. The service, food and entire experience were perfect. The menu is somewhat limited so we were a bit concerned that our children might not find anything to their liking. They chose from the kids menu, and they chose the gnocchi. Unlike most kids meals, where they throw some Ragu on lousy pasta, these melted in their mouth. There are some great local beer selections including my all time favorite, Ithaca Flower Power IPA, Try it you will love it. The salads were incredibly fresh and the lentil soup was fantastic. The burger was incredibly tasty and had grilled onions, hearty tomatoes and a delicious "aioli". The service was very attentive and the vibe was just perfect. We will be back every time we are in Oneonta. Try it you will really like it.

• Visited January 2013

“Little small town restaurant with a lot of flavor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I ate here after a very long drive. The food here was excellent! My husband and I split the Chicken Pot Pie and the gnocchi short ribs. The food was excellent. Everything was homemade and very fresh. The staff did the right amount of talking to us vs letting us be. We did not have dessert, but it looked great. Even the homemade rootbeer was wonderful. I would definitely come by again if we are in town!

Visited December 2012
Manlius, New York
“A special place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Red Caboose does not fit neatly into any single category and that's what makes it unique. The menu fits on a single page and I've learned over the years that this usually indicates the chef is very selective and focused on providing a quality dining experience and is confident that he/she will deliver. In fact, this is the first place I've ever visited where the bar already has place settings and menus in place - it's as if the chef is saying "you're going to order from my menu and you will not be disappointed"!!! I wasn't.

This evening I enjoyed a bowl of butternut squash soup (exquisite but I agree with an earlier reviewer that it needs to be a bit warmer), locally provided beef tenderloin served with spinach and pureed Yukon potatoes with a side of roasted cauliflower w/capers. The steak was cooked to perfection and had that rare "melt in your mouth" quality and the sides were a perfect compliment.

Staff is top notch and is very knowledgeable of the menu and the extensive beer/wine list. Also, the atmosphere is really cool and sophisticated but also very cozy. I look forward to returning and trying some of their more unique dishes!

• Visited January 2013
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“Not bad - not great - fairly pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I ate here solo while my daughter was doing an overnight college visit. I had the duck which was tasty, but somewhat under cooked and chewy. The sides we quite good, mashed sweet potato and shredded brussel sprouts.

I had the apple pie for dessert and although the accompanying maple gelato was good, the pie was not as good as the one I threw together last week with a Pillsbury crust. It just lacked flavor.

• Visited November 2012
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
“good food, fast service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

We ate at the Red Caboose in October, 2012. It has nice decor, friendly staff, good food, quick service.

• Visited October 2012