All reviews induction weekend key card flat screen clarion convenience rates
Reviewed August 8, 2018

My son and I went to Cooperstown for Chipper Jones' Hall of Fame induction and booked Motel 88 because it was cheap (relatively speaking considering it was induction weekend) and as close to Cooperstown as we could find.

I wasn't real encouraged when we pulled up. The place looked like it was right out of the 1970 ... including an actual key, rather than a keycard to unlock the door. But my mind was put at ease when we got into the room. The place was clean and well-maintained, the flatscreen TV was new, the wireless worked and was free and the beds were comfortable. There was also a Chinese restaurant attached to the front office and what appeared to be a steak place directly across the street.

The thing about Motel 88, however, was the staff of this mom-and-pop operation. The manager Toni was amazing ... helpful, friendly and extremely accommodating. We'll definitely be staying here again on our next pilgrimage to Cooperstown!

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Southernfried4
Reviewed July 27, 2018 via mobile

Came to Oneonta to watch college ball! This Motel was a great choice. We were looking for two beds and a quiet place and we found it. Good neighborhood, clean, comfortable and just fine! The manager, Tony very nice:).

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed July 25, 2018

We knew that we were going to sacrifice luxury for proximity when we made our reservation so we were not expecting The Four Seasons, but the Motel 88 is in dire need of renovations and a thorough cleaning. If it wasn't for a nice staff led by Toni the manager this trip would have been a complete bust. Toni is very nice and helpful and we were at least able to get clean towels when we needed them. She made sure we had a refrigerator and microwave in our room and two queen beds. The refrigerator kept our food cold so no problem there. Unfortunately, the room was musty/stinky and the mattresses were old and soft. I'm amazed in a town that gets so many visitors to Cooperstown All Star Village that there are not better accommodations available close by. This was without a doubt the worst kept and dirtiest motel I've ever stayed in and I'm comparing this motel to all the places I stayed with my parents as a kid in the 1970's. The Motel 6 is a 5 star resort compared to this place.
The shower tub was chipped with mold on the shower surround, the exhaust fan didn't work but sounded like a small plane taking off when you turned it on, the sink stopper didn't work, the faucet in the sink wouldn't get hot compared to the shower and there was no place to hang wet towels in the bath room. I didn't feel clean until I got home and took a shower. The showers at All Star Village were cleaner and 600 boys a week go through that place.
I ended up staying here at night instead of with our team at CASV because I didn't want to leave my wife and daughter there alone at night. I saw a couple of tweakers loitering around the day we got there and decided not to chance it. The country side is beautiful, but the town is a little sketchy so be aware of your surroundings.
The experience for the boys at Cooperstown is worth the inconvenience. We had a fantastic time. That being said, at $100/night you might want to spend more and stay anywhere else.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2018

This place is over-priced for what you would get in most towns but in this tourist trap town - arguably its a good deal.

Toni the manager at the front desk in super friendly and vigilant and a straight shooter - long time employee - good at her job - the 5 star for this place.

The owner was good and accommodating as well

The place is a 1950's style of motel - the no tell - motel style of California as they still exist there as low income housing.

Now this place was clean when I acquired it - however the smoke detector would go off if you showered - so I would have to take a chair climb up and pull it off the ceiling to stop it from going off for the week as I showered - a minor inconvenience.

You get a lot of channels on the flat screen TV so that's a plus

The In the wall air conditioner works well - so even on the hot 96F days we experienced outside it was very comfortable

The bathroom countertop was granite and the toilet works very well and you get towels ans bar soap and shampoo but its not luxury - it Dollar General goods - but it works.

No noise - quiet - and the premises could benefit from updating no question but what you see is what you get - but I have had less pleasure stays at come of the Clarion group hotels - so if it was just me and children and no spouse I would stay there again - it would not meet my wife's expectations.

The one plus is lots of parking and you park right next to your door - like the good old days - not for some that gives you peace of mind as you know your vehicle is safe and sound right outside your door and that bodes well for the person with the high-end SUV or Sports Car right down to the 2008 Honda Civic that is the well maintained family car - that the family needs to go to work and its convenient fro putting things in the trunk for security and for simply unloading and loading the car - a 5 Star for this convenience and peace of mind - that often goes over-looked by most travelers.

If you are going in a group to a baseball function this may be the place to stay as you could accommodate every one and socialize quite easily - at least my mind suggests you may want to consider this.

Next the location is king - closest to the colleges and ball parks by car - literally minutes to the parks

Next it close to downtown Oneonta NY, for the restaurants there - across the street is a very good restaurant - the location itself is conjoined to a good Asian restaurant - literally down the street is McDonald's and Dairy Queen plus gas station and there are 2 Rite-Aid pharmacies and a Walgreen's pharmacy about equidistant away in both directions -so you are covered there.

WalMart; Buffalo Wild Wings; Dicks and others are literally 5 minutes away as well.

So if you are not real picky and can get your head around the 1950's decor or look and could benefit from a simple accommodation - you may want to venture out and take a stab at it - its not as bad as some here have detailed - keep you expectations low and you will not be appalled - and remember call them and ask to speak to Toni - she will look after you.

Room tip: I would ask for a room with the largest mounted flat screen TV as opposed to the ones sitting on the dresser are easier to watch
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2018 via mobile

Not as bad as a lot of reviews I read! Not 5 star but great for a quick/ cheap overnight
Chinese restaurant was good, served the purpose we were looking for. Would stay again. A good location for going to different locations, Cooperstown, ommagang breweries

Trip type: Traveled with friends