“Fish and piano” 4 of 5 bubbles

Motel 88
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Oneonta
“Fish and piano”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Awsome dude! They have a grand piano in the reception as well as birds, fish and a chinese girl who is practicing Beethoven. All good fun!
Our rooms have tacky drapes and the porch smells a little like fish, but it is cozy ... if you like fish.
Bring your own whiskey and have breakfast at Dennys, and all is well.
This place is great! They have vacant rooms at midnight.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank tmpspigf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

There was no bedding. The rug was covered with stains. The bathtub was icky and there was no shower curtain, toilet paper or garbage bin. The curtain shielding us from the creeps outside was so encrusted with filth it was thick and sticky. Two beds and 1 pillow. Marijuana stems and a joint roach in the night table drawer. Crumbs in the drawer... the door was filthy... in fact the entire place was. Don't go here. Avoid at all costs...

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank swagnasty
Sarasota, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

This Motel is worse than I imagined it could be. It WAS clean... sort of...BUT MOLD on bath mat and mold on shower curtain...no way would I take a bath there. Good news is the Hot water was plentiful and the water pressure terrific, so a good shower . The bed was clean, but the pillows were like rocks, and when I asked for a comforter for warmth I DID get something...another , heavy bedspread. They DO have flat screen TVs as well as free wifi. There was an odor in the room that smelled like old chinese food( Chinese restaurant in lobby). AND the fan in the bathroom came on with the light and sounded like a jet plane was about to land in the toilet.
The woman at the front desk was nice, but this place is sooooooooooooo old!!! I think it ranks as the worst motel I have ever been in. The carpet was clean! That was good..and the towels were good enough!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dix Hills, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

The only reason we stayed here was all the other hotels in the area were booked. I would rather have slept in the car. The room was clean but the soda machine was out of order and it took 15 minutes to reach the front desk to get internet service. The room was small and the property needed some work.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lancaster
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Just stayed there on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday night stay. Rooms are super small with no closet but the AC worked great, the water pressure was amazing, and water heat is good. We stayed in 'Building C' and used the wireless which was good. (you get the password from the front desk.) Grounds are in need of work but we only stayed there for a place to sleep while out traveling. Lobby is pretty mismatched and needs a cleaning but we didn't have to sleep there. Ice machine is in the lobby and it was out the one night but one of the employees got ice for us from the restaurant. For the price, you can't beat it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Corvallis, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I called this motel from Kingston, New York. I asked for the exact price (including tax) and came into Oneonta on a Trailways bus. When I got here, I took a city bus to the motel. I walked onto the property and realized, right away, that the motel is NOTHING like the website! Doors were wide open into some of the rooms and skanky looking people were lurking around.
I walked into the motel and through the doors to the front desk. A young woman told me that the room would be $25 more than the price given to me over the phone. I told her about the phone call and she just blew me off. I left.
Later on, a taxi driver told me that the property rents to less than scrupulous people, including sex-offenders. None of that was evident when I viewed their website.
By the way, they wanted $80.00 for the room.
I wish that this story had a happy ending but it doesn't. Read my review of the motel that I ended up at in this city. It is my belief, now, that there is no pride in the service industry in Oneonta, New York. Even the guy who delivered my dinner, forgot to bring me a fork.Just do yourself a favor and avoid this city, altogether.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank RuthieRader
Allentown,PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

I don't stay in motels, but I was desperate. We only stayed here because all the hotels were booked for the induction weekend.

I've heard motel horror stories, but the service over the telephone and in-person was great. The staff was courteous. We cleaned the AC filter before we turned it on (it was gross) and had housekeeping vacuum the mess. The beds looked decent and the bathroom was clean. The room had a TV and microwave, but no iron or board. The carpet looked icky. It's good for 'passing thru' or one night-stays.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oneonta
Hampton Inn Oneonta
#6 of 9 in Oneonta
Courtyard Oneonta Cooperstown Area
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown
BEST WESTERN Cooperstown Inn & Suites

Been to Motel 88? Share your experiences!