“Not as bad as reviews make it out to be.”
Review of Motel 88

Motel 88
Motel 88
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Oneonta
Lancaster
“Not as bad as reviews make it out to be.”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Just stayed there on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday night stay. Rooms are super small with no closet but the AC worked great, the water pressure was amazing, and water heat is good. We stayed in 'Building C' and used the wireless which was good. (you get the password from the front desk.) Grounds are in need of work but we only stayed there for a place to sleep while out traveling. Lobby is pretty mismatched and needs a cleaning but we didn't have to sleep there. Ice machine is in the lobby and it was out the one night but one of the employees got ice for us from the restaurant. For the price, you can't beat it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I called this motel from Kingston, New York. I asked for the exact price (including tax) and came into Oneonta on a Trailways bus. When I got here, I took a city bus to the motel. I walked onto the property and realized, right away, that the motel is NOTHING like the website! Doors were wide open into some of the rooms and skanky looking people were lurking around.
I walked into the motel and through the doors to the front desk. A young woman told me that the room would be $25 more than the price given to me over the phone. I told her about the phone call and she just blew me off. I left.
Later on, a taxi driver told me that the property rents to less than scrupulous people, including sex-offenders. None of that was evident when I viewed their website.
By the way, they wanted $80.00 for the room.
I wish that this story had a happy ending but it doesn't. Read my review of the motel that I ended up at in this city. It is my belief, now, that there is no pride in the service industry in Oneonta, New York. Even the guy who delivered my dinner, forgot to bring me a fork.Just do yourself a favor and avoid this city, altogether.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank RuthieRader
Allentown,PA
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I don't stay in motels, but I was desperate. We only stayed here because all the hotels were booked for the induction weekend.

I've heard motel horror stories, but the service over the telephone and in-person was great. The staff was courteous. We cleaned the AC filter before we turned it on (it was gross) and had housekeeping vacuum the mess. The beds looked decent and the bathroom was clean. The room had a TV and microwave, but no iron or board. The carpet looked icky. It's good for 'passing thru' or one night-stays.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Let's face it. You're going into this knowing you're not staying at the Marriott Marquis. Take this attitude and there really isn't much wrong with the Oasis (which I think is now called the Motel 88 or something of the sort). It is a bit out of the way, off into the West End of town, but nothing a $5 cab ride can't fix to get you to Main Street or up to either of the college campuses. The room was sparsely furnished, with a desk, counter, night stand and a flat screen mounted on the wall. The bed was reasonably comfortable and the bathroom was clean and well stocked. The free WiFi internet access was a little on the slow side, but hey, it's free. The key card was a little troublesome but we got the hang of it. All the other hotels in town were excessively expensive so we chose the Oasis and weren't disappointed. If you need cheap accommodations while you drop off your kid for the semester, or want a layover halfway to Buffalo, like we did, give the Oasis/Motel 88 a shot.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank danegativecreep
Ridgewood, New York
Reviewed June 29, 2010

I recently got back from Oneonta NY with a few friends. We decided to take a road trip this summer to visit our old haunts, since we are alums of SUNY Oneonta. Oasis seemed like a cheap and convenient option so we made reservations to stay there for two nights. I totally regret this decision.

The room we got, with two double beds, was terrible. While the beds were comfortable, there were BLOOD SPOTS all over the comforter of one of the beds, as well as blood inside the nightstand drawer (along with crumbs and dust). The AC was ancient and didn't really work, and the curtains were unmovable and hanging on the rod by metal nails. It seriously looked like a crack den. The flat-panel TV on the wall looked completely out of place in the room, which was not at all cleaned in the two days we were there.

The bathroom was just as bad as the rest - rusty radiator, moldy bath mat, and yellowing shower walls. It was just BAD BAD BAD.

Honestly, I would not stay here ever again. Even though my friends and I were rarely in the room, it was not at all comforting to go to bed on dirty sheets in a room that could define the complete opposite of cleanliness. Yuck!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank VioletteStar
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 4, 2009

I was a little put off by the negative reviews of the Oasis here on TripAdvisor when I was planning my stay in Oneonta, but I decided to ignore the negative comments here and give the Oasis a shot regardless. Although I had attended the State College at Oneonta for four years my only prior experience with the Oasis was a night at their Chinese Buffet many years ago which was admittedly awful, so I was a little apprehensive at first and expected the rooms to be a disgusting horror show. I was, however, pleasantly suprised. As someone who doesn't own a credit card I was still welcomed and given quick, efficient treatment at check-in. The manager had no problems accomodating both the smokers and non-smokers in my group with rooms of their respective preference that were close to each other. Granted, this may have simply been because very few other guests were staying that weekend and many rooms were available, but it was convenient regardless.

The rooms themselves greatly surpassed my expectations. They were very small but much cleaner than I had prepared myself for. The TV and electricity worked fine and the bathroom was in good condition and fully stocked with soaps and shampoos. A cleaning lady came daily to tidy the room up and restock the towels and toiletries. At one point we found a spider in the bathroom and the shower sometimes took a few minutes to adequately heat up, but nothing happened that I would consider a dealbreaker. Checkout was a total breeze as well since all it consisted of was me dropping the keys into a mailbox and hitting the road.

All in all my stay at the Oasis was decidedly above average. The staff was helpful and friendly, the price was dirt cheap, the rooms were relatively clean and the motel was located within five minutes of downtown. The people who gave this place poor reviews must consider themselves some sort of royalty because while the rooms were spartan they were entirely acceptable to a regular guy like me.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank NyBob85
New York
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We went to Oneonta to take my daughter back to school. One night at the Oasis was more than enough. The reception area was dirty and had an awful odor. The back room looked like it housed people. Our first room looked like 1950 vintage and it was musty smelling. The bathroom, which had updated tiling on the bathroom walls and the tub was extremely worn. There was a large ant crawling in the tub and there were hairs stuck to the bathmat. The shower curtain was moldy.
So they changed our room which appeared to be the same but the bathroom tub area was better. As we turned down the ancient bedspread, we found many stains on it. The thin fitted sheets on the bed slid off the corners. The bathroom sink, as I brushed my teeth, began filling up with water. I turned it off, only to find that it was leaking all over the floor. The thin towels were not worth drying yourself with and they only supplied, 2 bath towels, 1 hand towel, and 2 wash clothes. The shampoo came in a small packet(generic), as well as the unknown named soap. There was toilet paper stuck on the ceiling around the heat lamp.
They have a chinese restaurant connected to the motor inn. It was the worst chinese food I have ever eaten. There was nothing in the wonton shells. There was nothing that I could eat that was edible.
When I checked out, I expressed my feelings to the person at the desk. All she said was, "I am sorry". NOT good enough for me. There is NO price worthy of a stay at this dive.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — It was filthy!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank rubituesday
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oneonta
Hampton Inn Oneonta
#5 of 9 in Oneonta
Courtyard Oneonta Cooperstown Area
Best Western Plus Cooperstown Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Cooperstown

Been to Motel 88? Share your experiences!