“Not what i was expecting”
Review of Prime 289 - CLOSED

Prime 289
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Description: new restaurant
Newark, New Jersey
“Not what i was expecting”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We brought our daughter up to start school at SUCO. We had been told to stop in by another family where we live in NJ. The steaks were not worth the money, the food was inconsistant (Myself and my wife both ordered the fillet), what came out were two completely different sized steaks with different portion sizes of everything else. The service was ok, the drinks list was... ok. I had been told once i sat that there was a cocktail menu... Not cocktails believe me. Ive read all the reviews on here and i was very much expecting to be blown away by this place... I was not impressed. Just Blaaa, We also tried a few other restaurants in town, with much better value for money and better service. To the short guy with a grey beard, we didnt need you standing talking to us for 45 minutes while we tried to eat our meal. To the blonde snappy woman on the floor, sorry we didnt have a reservation, but you didnt need to scold us like children for not having one. Im disappointed, i really wanted this place to be good, its just not.

• Visited August 2013

“A local favorite”
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

As always, the service, food and drinks were excellent! Our favorite server Annie always goes above and beyond to make us happy and even remembered our order! Love that the owners always check in during dinner and certainly have pride in this business. Steaks are excellent! Will definitely be visiting again soon.

• Visited May 2013
Stony Brook, NY
“Very good steak restaurant”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised when entering the updated and sophisticated atmosphere! We were even more satisfied with the meals we had! Steak was very good, as well as, all of the sides and desserts!! My daughter was so delighted to bring back the leftovers to her roommates!Staff were helpful and accommodating. Great special occasion restaurant in Oneonta!!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank kertech
Syracuse, New York
“Sturdy Steak house but a little boring”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

If you must have a real martini with your meal then stop here because they don't have a full liquor license but their faux martini is pretty darn close.
Wine selection decent.
Atmosphere and wait staff are superb.
Food is..... OK..... steaks not quite as good as I'd expect but overall pretty good. Appetizers tasty.

• Visited June 2013
binghamton
“Worth the trip.”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Friend of ours works in Oneonta, and recommened Prime to us for Valentine's Day. We went the Saturday after since I was working Valentine's Day night. Had the bone-in Delmonico. Was done to perfection. Wife had the Filet Mignon, also excellent. Best wedge salad I have ever had, anywhere. French Onion soup was killer, too. Service was great, atmosphere is classy. Little dar for me, there was a bulb out in the fixture at our table and I had to lean over with the menu to be able to read it. But overall, this place is just outstanding. It's become difficult to find a good, classy steakhouse anymore. And some say it is expensive, but I did not feel that way. I paid twice as much in Vegas for a steak I just about threw away it was so bad. And compare it to Ruth's Chris who uses the same method of cooking steak (IR oven) the price is actually very reasonable. Was worth the 1 1/2 drive and we'll be back again.

• Visited February 2013