“Never understood the hype of Pepis”

Original Pepi's Pizza
Ranked #1 of 57 Restaurants in Oneida
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Before Pepis moved into their beautiful new building, if you wanted to eat there you had to sit in a dump, while you tried to enjoy your food. I have been to the new Pepis and the pizza was better than in the old place but I think it may be because I didn't have to worry about seeing something disgusting. It's a love of the locals, I just have never understood why. Sherrill Pizzeria pizza is much, much better.

2  Thank shannalee29_NY
There are newer reviews for Original Pepi's Pizza

Reviewed April 19, 2012

New building, new (and much improved) parking lot, but thankfully the same pizza for the last 40+ years. For me, the crust is the foundation of a pizza. If the crust isn't good, the rest doesn't matter. No problem here! The dough is fresh, the crust is just right -- not too thin, not too thick, and just the right amount of chewiness. It compliments everything else on the pizza. The sauce is delicious and the cheese is out of this world. Over the years, pizza joints in Oneida have come and gone, but Pepi's is still here. There's a very good reason why.

1  Thank Dennis_SBU72
Reviewed December 5, 2010

As somewhat of a regular this was my first time in the new building. Things have gone downhill, perhaps they don't have their routine down yet. Seeing neighboring tables that ordered after the wife and I yet served before us was frustrating but they were short handed with waitstaff. One table was packing it up as my food arrived. They said they were melting the cheese on my wifes sandwich and it would be right out. The time passes close to 20 min and I become worried - how long does it take to melt cheese anyways? Now my food is getting cold.
To shorten this story - it was nearly an hour after arriving that all our food was there and unfortunately the Hot Chicken Sandwich is served cold. I felt ignored - no apology or explanation for the delay. Not a word from the staff, until I try to pay ( so I can go eat somewhere's else). Although I offered I didn't have to pay for the food that was cold and not edible in my terms and comping my bill was their apology. I know they have done well in the past but I reccommend waiting a few months for the management to figure things out. I would hope they learn to deliver a quality product even if it's late. A bit of customer service with a mention of the delay would have gone a long way.

1  Thank LocalCitizen
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Excellent pizza! THIS is what pizza is supposed to be. I've enjoyed Pepi's for over 40 years and as far as I'm concerned, this is the pizza by which all others are judged. Perhaps I'm being too subtle -- this is GREAT pizza. However, their parking lot is a disaster! If you didn't know better, you'd think it had recently been a mine field. If you can survive the jolts and bumps getting there, you'll be glad you did. If you like beer or wine with your pizza, get take-out. No beer or liquor here. Atmosphere is mostly for kids -- a real carnival inside.

Reviewed January 1, 2009

Pepi's has a thin crust piza to die for. A very western NY style pizza melts in your mouth. Not as tough as a standard NY style pizza, Has a game room somewhat run down some of the games not working but emough there to keep the kids busy. Definately a family place. If it is just the 2 of you do take out.