“Do not stay here!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oliverea
Shangri-La at Mountain Gate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Oliverea
Reviewed February 4, 2006

Obviously this place is horrible!! I wish I had read these reviews before we stayed there. It's winter and we had NO heat. When we turned the thermostat up it went on in the middle of the night with a loud "clank, clank" which woke us up. We found out it woke up our neighbors too. Cold shower, run down grounds. To top it off, the small groups of ducks were attacked in the night and were walking around bleeding the next day. It was truly depressing. Worst place ever. I heard the Alpine Inn was nice, down the street.

• Stayed: February 2006
7  Thank Sarah S
There are newer reviews for Shangri-La at Mountain Gate

A TripAdvisor Member
Elmhurst, NY
Reviewed January 21, 2006

This is one of the worst "resorts" ever. My husband and I stayed at the resort and we couldn't wait to leave. Complete misrepresentation on their web site. Believe me, any positive comments had to be writen by the owners themselves. We were looking for a romantic weekend getaway in the fresh air. This place was a romantic as a sleeping bag with cockroaches. The cabins were a dump. The grounds were not kept up. The food was very poor. Our room had a "private porch". Give me a break! It was a run down shack with a porch that was literaly falling apart. On the porch was someone's old moldy living room couch that must have been there for years. And the pool they advertise? Filled with algae and leaves! Green water! They overcharged us for our stay and were not open to any discussion. Rooms and bathrooms were seriously in need of repair and were disgusting.
If you want to take your chances, then go ahead and book your room. Otherwise, stay clear of Mountain Gate Resort. What a pit!

• Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 4, 2005

My wife and I saw the online advertisement for Mountain Gate Lodge. We are both medical residents from New York, working long hours and we were thrilled to be taking a weekend holiday in the mountains. When we got to the Mountain Gate Lodge, we could not believe the discrepancy from the advertisement on the web. The grounds were dirty and run down. The pool was filthy and covered with leaves. The owner told us that the pool filter "just broke down yesterday", which was obviously a rediculous claim. We found our cabin to be disgusting. The bathroom was absolutely terrible and we were disgusted to even get into the bed. (And the person writing this commentary has stayed all over latin america in seriously rural areas). We were totally misled! So after the first night, we decided that we definitely were not staying for a second night...especially given what they were charging! When we received our credit card bill the following month...they charged us for TWO nights!!! I called them up, spoke with the owner, who told us that the charges were correct. I assured him that I would know if we stayed for 2 nights and not one. Well, I did everything possible to get our money back including calling the Better Business Bureu of that county and my Visa card provider. But the owner must have forged or copied my signature onto a different credit card receipt for the 2 day total amount. There was nothing we could do and VISA declared the charges valid. I wrote to the owner every day imploring him to return our stolen money and calling him a dishonest thief. But to no avail. We will never see that money again.
To whoever is reading this review, please do not stay at the Moutain Gate Lodge. ANYWHERE else that you can stay will provide you with a much better resort getaway and hopefully you will not be" taken for a ride" as we were. Best of luck to you...

• Stayed: August 2002
14  Thank SportBikeDoc
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 18, 2003

Mountain Gate Lodge is dishonest; in fact, absolutely criminal! The manager flat out lied to us! We had a caravan of four couples with a total of six children aged 13months to 6 years between us. The grounds looked run-down with areas of over-growing grass. The "pool" had about two inches of water covered with overgrowing algea on the base. The pool gate was broken and thus a very dangerous area became quickly and easily accessible by any child able to walk (and thus fall onto an algae-covered concrete floor)! Seeing it was already nearing 8pm and getting dark, we decided on a one night stay. We told the manager we had small children and wished only to stay one night and insisted that we must have reliable AC and hot water. He assured us all these services were available in all rooms! We decided to view the rooms first and the manager let us see only one room and then gave us a set of four rooms elsewhere on the property. There was no hot water in any rooms; and functional AC in only one of the rooms. By the time we realized this, we had already unpacked many of our belongings and there was no way to address any of our children's needs (absolutely no hot or even slightly warm water and a very uncomfortably humid August without AC!). Upon our raising concerns for his dishonesty, the manager told us that all of the amenities were fully functional when he gave us the rooms and that we had sabotaged the facilities! We all decided that we would leave the premises immediately and asked for a refund of the one night's stay he had already charged to all our accounts. He refused emphatically. At this point it was already past 8pm and the children were very tired and restless after a long day's travel. We left and found another lodging and are all still fighting the charges that still remain on our accounts for a stay we never even had at the Mountaingate Lodge. This establishment is absolutely criminal! Stay away from it!

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oliverea
Cold Spring Lodge
Slide Mountain Forest House
The Alpine Inn
The Alpine Inn
#2 of 2 in Oliverea

Been to Shangri-La at Mountain Gate? Share your experiences!