“I would give this no points if that were an option”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oliverea
Shangri-La at Mountain Gate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Oliverea
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My husband and I decided to stay here for a weekend of skiing at Belleayre and weren't able to find it on Trip Advisor before leaving, but now that we've found it I must warn others! Upon arrival, I noticed that the smoke detectors were not working since there was INCENSE burning in our room, apparently to try to mask the nasty stench it had. There was no interior lock on the door to keep out anyone you don't want to come in (the doors are keyed so if anyone had a key they could have easily come in). We were the only ones there and the phones do not work so you can't make a call in case of an emergency. Did I also mention that there is no cell reception there so you are hopelessly out of luck in case of an emergency? After 2 minutes in the room we ran back to the front desk to ask for our money back at 9pm but they had 'gone to bed' and did not answer the many rings to the doorbell that we made.

Back in the room, there were 3 channels on the TV, one of which was in Indian. There were blood droplets on the sheets that weren't ours. There were ladybugs EVERYWHERE, as well as spiders. The towels in the bathroom were brown on top where they had been hung it had been so long since a person stayed in the room. There was a used bar of soap in the tub AND there were spider webs, spiders, and spider eggs in the tub, so I refused to use it. I can't say the sink or toilet were much better. There was mold everywhere; the windows were literally taped shut with masking tape to keep out drafts. Oh, and the heat did not work in the dead of winter. It was freezing. We slept with our pants tucked into our socks, with hoodies and gloves on to try to keep us a little protected, but were so skeeved out that we couldn't sleep.

Also, there was an abandoned tractor trailer, an abandoned ambulance, as well as an abandoned van on the property. At first light, when breakfast was supposed to be ready, we bolted for the front desk again since we were supposed to be provided breakfast with our stay, but alas, again it was locked and no one answered. In desperation, we drove to the mountain, and the absolutely fabulous staff there let us use their phone to call our bank to stop payment on the room since we didn't have cell phone reception there either. After 2.5 hours on the phone with the bank, they agreed to stop payment as even THEY could not get ahold of the owners of the establishment. The staff at the mountain felt so bad they gave us two vouchers to come back to the mountain for a better stay. They recommended the Phoenicia Village Motel and Suites and that place is wonderful.

After skiing, we returned to the horrible Shangri-La to try to return the key to our room (and try to get our money back again). I don't know why, but they seemed shocked that we weren't happy. After 15 minutes of haggling, they finally gave us the money back for the next 2 nights we were to stay there. Oh, the ceiling was also falling down in the lobby. We were so horrified that we contacted the NY Department of Health to report them. After multiple months of the DOH chasing them, they finally cited them for the smoke detectors and phones not working as well as a health violation for the 'cleanliness' or lack thereof. This place is a sham and the owners are negligent. DO NOT EVER STAY HERE. Warn everyone you know.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Angela L

Reviewed March 13, 2012

I would recommend eating here over staying here. The food is definitely authentic Indian cooking; however, the rooms are not the cleanest and appear old. The Shangri-la has some farm animals (i.e. ducks) which are adorable. There are only three television channels, one of which is Indian! Haha.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I have stay there with my dog in "that special room" Small but sufficient for one adult and one big dog. I found the room clean--I have eaten there and the food is true home indian cooking and delicious. The host and hostess are warm and welcoming and eager to please. The site itself cannot be beat--the sound of the water, wind in the woods, proximity to hiking trails--a perfect setup for "getting away" The past reviews were several years ago and I found an upgrade difference from last year. Don't give up on them--it's a wonderful retreat--You just can't be too needy---They are in the process of renovating.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank pas2ral
Reviewed November 21, 2009

Too bad I didn't read the reviews before booking a one-night stay that I thought would be a nice getaway for my wife and I. This place was unacceptable, and the room was a glorified tent with sheets and pillows smelling like they had been outside for weeks. The heat did not work, and the air inside the room was far colder than the moderate temperature outside. We ended up leaving at midnight because there was no way we could get a night's sleep in that miserable environment. Since then I have been in arguments with the "staff" (the "manager," we were told, is out of the country, in India) to get a refund. They have finally agreed to a partial (1/2) refund of our one night's charge, but as of this point the original charge hasn't even shown up on my credit card statement so I have no idea whether they will make good on this. They have complained to us repeatedly about what it cost for us to stay there (we were the ONLY guests on a Saturday night in mid-November in the Catskills). They don't seem to understand what it takes to run a business for American customers with basic expectations. They have done nothing but complain to us, while assuring us that heat, amenities, etc. were all present and working in our room. Not the case. These people are indeed false advertisers, but I'm not sure if they're incompetent or malicious, or a little bit of both. Either way, do not even think about staying here. (As for the "best" Indian restaurant that they tout on their website, it didn't look functional, or up-to-date. Lights and heat weren't even on). Avoid!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jobabybuck
Reviewed September 6, 2009

This is a very dirty facility. How dirty? You can't be without flip flops while in your room, especially the bathroom. The carpets are diabolically filthy, there were blood droplets on our sheets (not ours) and the towels were all stained with brown stuff. It took the hot water over 15 minutes to work and then there was the MOLD SMELL. There were only 2 TV channels on a television that was circa 1983 and no lights anywhere on the property to help you see while you were walking to the car. We felt bad for the owners because they were so nice...we tried to call other places while we were there to get a room but every other nice place was booked. We sucked it up and considered it to be like camping. The Indian food was good....ambiance really weird....and we were the only people there for the first of two nights. In short....these people have had nine years to make this place habitable and clearly they don't see anything wrong with what they have so if you have really low standards and don't mind catching something off of the toilet seat, then this is the place for you! I wish we took pictures for the Better Business Bureau because this place was just so moldy-gross.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2009

I stayed there two years ago by myself because I wanted to get away from city. Upon arrival, the owner greeted to me and showed me and explained that there was no power due to the thunder storm right before my arrival. I was surprised but the owner served me hot tea and invited me to their fire place in the dining room. I enjoyed chatting with his family at the fire place and reading several spiritual books at their library. They have a great indian food and I enjoyed having dinner with this family, which made me feel so comfortable. Later in the day, they showed me the room after power was back on. The room was decent size for myself and clean.
Next day, I hiked trail near the hotel and climbed mountain on the same day. The owner was so kind to show me around in the area. I really needed this retreat at the time and I really appreciate to the owner and his family for their hospitality. I recently checked this site and I felt terrible to see bad reviews. Unfortunately, I think those people expect too much for everything. I wanted to write my experiences there so people can have better judgement. I can say this is great retreat place if you are feeling down or getting away from city.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank Laskmi
Reviewed March 17, 2009

This place makes the Bates Motel look like the Waldorf. THE most filthy, discusting, insect-infested place I have ever seen. I couldn't find them on Trip Advisor or I wouldn't have stayed here in the first place. ALL of the bad reviews are accurate, so I won't repeat them. Once we saw our room, we ran back to the front desk to ask for a refund. BUT the girl at the desk had locked up for the night and gone to bed. We were the only people on the property. We had no choice but to spend the night, but we ran screaming at first light. There was mold and used bars of soap in the shower. Dust and trash behind the beds. The windows were taped shut with packing tape - I guess to keep drafts out.
I will say the people are friendly IF you can get a hold of them. If took us a few hours to track someone down! They eventually did refund our money and appeared to be really shocked that we didn't enjoy our stay!!! I don't think they understand how terrible this place is. The website makes it look amazing, but it is a lie. This place is horrendous. NEVER STAY HERE.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rlocher

Been to Shangri-La at Mountain Gate? Share your experiences!