My husband and I decided to stay here for a weekend of skiing at Belleayre and weren't able to find it on Trip Advisor before leaving, but now that we've found it I must warn others! Upon arrival, I noticed that the smoke detectors were not working since there was INCENSE burning in our room, apparently to try to mask the nasty stench it had. There was no interior lock on the door to keep out anyone you don't want to come in (the doors are keyed so if anyone had a key they could have easily come in). We were the only ones there and the phones do not work so you can't make a call in case of an emergency. Did I also mention that there is no cell reception there so you are hopelessly out of luck in case of an emergency? After 2 minutes in the room we ran back to the front desk to ask for our money back at 9pm but they had 'gone to bed' and did not answer the many rings to the doorbell that we made.
Back in the room, there were 3 channels on the TV, one of which was in Indian. There were blood droplets on the sheets that weren't ours. There were ladybugs EVERYWHERE, as well as spiders. The towels in the bathroom were brown on top where they had been hung it had been so long since a person stayed in the room. There was a used bar of soap in the tub AND there were spider webs, spiders, and spider eggs in the tub, so I refused to use it. I can't say the sink or toilet were much better. There was mold everywhere; the windows were literally taped shut with masking tape to keep out drafts. Oh, and the heat did not work in the dead of winter. It was freezing. We slept with our pants tucked into our socks, with hoodies and gloves on to try to keep us a little protected, but were so skeeved out that we couldn't sleep.
Also, there was an abandoned tractor trailer, an abandoned ambulance, as well as an abandoned van on the property. At first light, when breakfast was supposed to be ready, we bolted for the front desk again since we were supposed to be provided breakfast with our stay, but alas, again it was locked and no one answered. In desperation, we drove to the mountain, and the absolutely fabulous staff there let us use their phone to call our bank to stop payment on the room since we didn't have cell phone reception there either. After 2.5 hours on the phone with the bank, they agreed to stop payment as even THEY could not get ahold of the owners of the establishment. The staff at the mountain felt so bad they gave us two vouchers to come back to the mountain for a better stay. They recommended the Phoenicia Village Motel and Suites and that place is wonderful.
After skiing, we returned to the horrible Shangri-La to try to return the key to our room (and try to get our money back again). I don't know why, but they seemed shocked that we weren't happy. After 15 minutes of haggling, they finally gave us the money back for the next 2 nights we were to stay there. Oh, the ceiling was also falling down in the lobby. We were so horrified that we contacted the NY Department of Health to report them. After multiple months of the DOH chasing them, they finally cited them for the smoke detectors and phones not working as well as a health violation for the 'cleanliness' or lack thereof. This place is a sham and the owners are negligent. DO NOT EVER STAY HERE. Warn everyone you know.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri La At Mountain Gate