“More Rustic than Expected” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Full Moon Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oliverea
Full Moon Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oliverea
Stow
“More Rustic than Expected”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at the Full Moon Resort for a 5-day guitar workshop in July. While the grounds are pleasing, the accommodations vary. The main reception building is appealing, although warm in the summer, with a small sitting area and library where one can read or check email. There are several cabins on the property; we stayed in the Morningstar Lodge, which was more “rustic” than expected, given the website description of accommodations. Our room had a ceiling fan, which was on when we arrived. Nevertheless, the room temperature was 84 degrees – a bit too hot for comfort. I believe that none of the cabins have A/C. The small bathroom had been remodeled. However, the bedroom was dark, smelled musty, and the lighting was insufficient. It did not meet our standards for cleanliness, and could definitely use updating of furniture, lighting, rugs or flooring, and beds. I found the description of accommodations on the website somewhat misleading; my expectations for lodging were not met, and we subsequently moved to a different property with considerable confusion regarding fee arrangements. Unfortunately, we had to pay a portion of the daily room rate for the remainder of the week’s accommodations at Full Moon Resort, even though we moved to a different hotel.
The smoking policy was not clear and should be addressed. Quite a few of the workshop attendees were smokers who tended to congregate on the cabin porches and outside the workshop areas. Hence, their smoke drifted into both the workshop rooms and the lodging rooms, which was annoying to non-smoking guests. This was especially the case at night, when one needed to keep the windows open due to the heat; the smoke drifted into the room, making it difficult to sleep.
The food was very good, and included vegetarian options. While possibly an ideal location for a one day wedding, I would not recommend it for a long term stay.

Room Tip: Specify what you want in a room (e.g., light, airy with cross-ventilation, main building, etc.), alt...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sonar11
full_moon_resort1, Owner at Full Moon Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
In 2013 we hosted upwards of 1000 guests over the course of the Music Masters Camps season; I think it’s fair to say that approximately 995 of them were thrilled and had an extraordinary experience.

In this particular case, the reviewer attended the Richard Thompson’s Camp as her husband’s guest. Richard is a brilliant and compassionate artist, musician and human being and virtually every person who attended for purposes of the music LOVED the camp and the experience. Unfortunately, the reviewer was not appropriately placed, as Full Moon Resort is not a location that is entirely appealing for a person looking to vacation in a luxury hotel room.

It is true that that it was unseasonably warm for two weeks during the summer of 2013, and in consideration of this, we will be implementing a plan of adding air conditioners to some of our rooms in the coming year. We’ve been in business for fourteen seasons, and with the generally cool summer nights in the higher elevations, this simply hasn't been a problem in the past.

In addition to air conditioners, we’ll also continue to replace carpets, upgrade beds, and replace furnishings in several locations. We are committed to providing the best possible guest experience within the context that Full Moon has to offer.

Generally, if guests are properly placed, and attend the facility for the purpose of participating in the event at hand, they enjoy themselves immensely and appreciate the simple nature of our facility.

As far as the smoking policy is concerned, it is clear and definitive: NO SMOKING is allowed in ANY of our buildings and a cleaning fee is assessed if this policy is violated. If the reviewer was uncomfortable with other guests in the vicinity of her room, I’m sure a simple request would have resolved the problem immediately.

I sincerely regret that any guest might be dissatisfied with our accommodations and we will continue to make every effort to improve and offer the best possible experience for all who choose to visit Full Moon Resort.

Thank you Trip Advisor for providing this unique and informative forum for communications between guests and management.

Henry Stout
Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here while attending one of the Music Masters camps (Dweezilla). The food is outstanding - rooms are rustic (no a/c) but reasonably priced and a great area. The staff was unbelievably accomodating and helpful -- a great place to be when in a terrific program.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I went to this place for a wedding and was astonished by not only its beauty but the green hilly landscape all around it.
The multiple settings for the different stages of the wedding made it so magical and spectacular that I couldn't believe such a place existed and was so charming for such a wonderful, romantic event... it was just magical!
The hosts and staff are fantastic... even the country-style bar across the hotel was the right touch for the last drinks and dancing before having the real night cap at the barn... just fantastic.
This is a chic old country house style hotel that has several houses to host guests... you can be in a nice, cosy, clean private room with bathroom, or opt for the more hostel style private rooms but with shared bathrooms. Either or, the quality and cleanliness of the place are great so you don't really care about the difference. The shared-bathroom rooms are equipped with individual old sinks, so makes life a bit more easy...
The breakfast are spectacular, everything you want and need for a big country breakfast!
A fantastic green country environment for a dream wedding weekend!

Room Tip: Rooms have no AC, so during the summer ask for an extra fan!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I were married at Full Moon Resort Memorial Day Weekend 2013. First, it rained the entire weekend. There were probably 5 minutes when a drop didn't fall. We were upset at first but we suddenly forgot it was raining at all. As the wind almost blew down the ceremony tent, we laughed and smiled and continued to recite our vows. The reason the rain didn't ruin out day was because the staff, owners, and our brilliant event planner, LeighAnn, knew exactly what they were doing and did it so extraordinarily well. Full Moon accommodates two weddings a weekend and they make you feel like you're the only thing that matters, or has ever mattered.

Leading up to the day, LeighAnn, was accommodating and attentive - there were times when I felt like she was one of my bridesmaids. She was always there when I needed her before, during, and even after the event.

Paul and Michael worked with my husband and I to give us everything we needed, wanted, suggested and recommended. They were open-minded and such wonderful compromisers/negotiators.

Chef Adam is a brilliant culinary genius. Over one month later we're still reminiscing with friends about how delicious the food was. I was a bridezilla about the cake and Chef Adam created a masterpiece that blew my mind. It was all very magical.

My husband and I wanted a place where our friends and family could come together away from internet, city rush, and exterior distractions. Our aim was to focus on love and togetherness. Full Moon Resort is the perfect place for you if you're looking for the same thing. The greatest thing about Full Moon is that they make you feel as though you're coming in to a blank canvas - you paint the weekend as you see it and they mold to you.

Full Moon Resort is not just a wedding venue. It's a place of comfort, perfection, beauty, and magic.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Attended for my nieces wedding. The staff, and the customers service they delivered was top notch. The staff was organized, professional and FRIENDLY. They blended right in with our family, we all felt very comfortable and spoiled. Their venue was perfect for our big family wedding, and the food far exceeded expectations, it was delicious!!! All of our accommodations from the cabins to the rooms in the hotel were spotless and comfy.
My son and I arrived very late due to weather delays and found that the staff had left several lights on to welcome us, a beautiful note explaining our room, and directions to the refrigerator, where they had left two large plates of dinner from the BBQ we missed.Very much appreciated.Again the food was very well prepared, with quality ingredients. All ages in the family agreed they loved it.This goes down as the best wedding and venue I have ever attended,eager to return.

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was there for a close cousin of mine's wedding in early March. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating (my family and I can be somewhat demanding). The food was very good and the view was spectacular. I highly recommend this resort to anyone thinking of a romantic getaway or a wedding destination. As for the negative review's on this site, these "unsatisfied clients" were either mistaking this for a brand new hotel in soho (it's a "resort" in the mountains, completely different) or they're the Full Moon's competition. As a former employee in the hospitality industry, I was extremely satisfied. Bottom Line: The Full Moon Resort has it all.

Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

We weren't sure at first where to plan our wedding. We wanted something that would be low-key, intimate, but memorable. Our guest list only consisted of 50 people, but we wanted to actually see them for our wedding weekend. The Full Moon turned out to be the perfect spot! We worked with the event coordinator, Melanie throughout the whole process. She was diligent, helpful, and most of all understanding! Being under so much stress for the wedding planning process is frustrating, but being able to coordinate everything through her, and being able to have everything in one place was so great! I especially enjoyed the little touches. The staff made sure my vegan cousin had a great dinner, when I had failed to mention it to them in advance (for the rehearsal dinner)! When my Aunt and Cousin's plane didn't arrive, and they had to drive into the night to get there by the next day for the wedding, their key and a sweet welcome note was left for them, at the front desk, as well as left overs from dinner. These are the things that really mattered to me! Because of the staff at the Full Moon, I got to taste my own wedding cake! (it was left in our cabin refrigerator for us, as well as the dinners we didn't get a chance to touch!). Another note on the food!-It's prepared by an amazing chef, with mostly local and organic food!-Right up our alley, plus it was delicious!

The Full Moon has a rustic charm to it. I loved the barn for the wedding and the snow that proved to be a great back drop! The other fabulous thing was waking up to most of my loved ones around me in the main house on the day of my Wedding; like it was a giant slumber party! The rooms were clean and the rest of the staff went out of their way to make our stay incredible. In the end...my picky relatives from coast to coast had nothing but wonderful things to say! We had a great time and I'd recommend the Full Moon to anyone!

Room Tip: Make sure you know what kind of room you want in advance. The Full Moon has many different accommod...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oliverea
Cold Spring Lodge
The Alpine Inn
The Alpine Inn
#2 of 2 in Oliverea
Hanah Mountain Resort and Country Club

Been to Full Moon Resort? Share your experiences!