We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oliverea
Full Moon Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oliverea
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My fiancé (now husband) and I both live in Brooklyn, but we met in Maine. When looking at wedding venues, we wanted to find a spot in the NYC area that would reflect the feel of where we first met & fell in love. After a lot of online research, we selected a few places to visit, and Full Moon was love at first sight.

Our primary goal for our wedding was to find a place that would allow all our guests to really spend time together - for old friends to see one another again, and for new friendships to form. Our ideal was a kind of "upscale summer camp" setting - Full Moon provides exactly that, and does it incredibly well. We have heard time and again from our guests that it was the best wedding they've ever been to - what more could we have hoped for?

Melanie was our event coordinator, and she consistently went above and beyond with her availability in planning, answering countless questions and working inexhaustibly to ensure that she & the Full Moon staff would create the weekend we envisioned. I couldn't believe the dedication that she and the entire staff showed to our event - their hours were long, their work never stopped, and they were unfailingly kind, hospitable, and thoughtful. Everything they did went so far towards making our wedding weekend the success that it was, and we could not have been happier with the results! They accommodated several special activities/events on our behalf, including a Saturday morning yoga session, a nature walk, and lawn games. It was even better than the wedding we envisioned/hoped for, and that is such a precious gift.

The food was consistently fabulous, and Tim and I (thanks to Melanie) actually got to *eat* our wedding dinners, which is almost unheard of! ; ) The chef accommodated us beautifully when it came to desserts - rather than wedding cake, the brave & talented Adam willingly recreated 2 family pie recipes, which guests were absolutely ecstatic about.

Since we live in Brooklyn, planning was also a bit of a challenge in terms of finding vendors, etc, in the area, but Full Moon also did a great job of offering solid recommendations. We had amazing service from all our Full-Moon-approved vendors, including Dennis Nutley of Green Cottage (florist), Alex Mazur (DJ), and Karen Neblung (hair).

There are definitely a few challenges about attending a Full Moon wedding - other reviewers have touched on a few of these, and I would say the primary are: 1) the distance of the location from nearby airports, 2) parents needing to travel w/ crib, and 3) lack of cell service. We had a few guests who are used to a certain level of "resort" that I was concerned about, in terms of comfort, but they all had a wonderful time. If you plan an event at Full Moon, I think one of the keys is properly preparing your guests for what they will experience - this is not a luxury resort, but a very well-kept, well-run, clean, welcoming woodland retreat, with family-style cabins. Full Moon does a great job of giving you written language that you can send out with invitations and post to websites, etc, to articulate the kinds of experiences your guests can expect there, and what they need in order to be prepared.

The cost for guests attending a Full Moon Fri/Sat wedding is not insignificant, and that was our primary fear/worry going in to the weekend. However, the amount that you get for your money at Full Moon is an *astonishingly* good deal, particularly in comparison with anywhere closer to or in NYC. (It was actually the most cost-effective venue we found!) On the whole, our guests were very happy to pay their part for this weekend getaway.

Overall, I really can't recommend this venue enough, for those who are looking to make new memories with dear family and friends. Full Moon provides the space, meals, and details for you to have an intimate event that will undoubtedly be cherished for years to come. One of the best "recommendations" I can give is that my mother, who was initially very skeptical about our wedding venue choice, and not usually the "rustic cabin" type, has suggested that we make a habit of annual reunion trips back to Full Moon! We could not have been happier, and we hope that word will spread about this Catskill gem.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BMSSM

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Stayed at the Full Moon Resort for a Saturday wedding, which was as sweet & charming a wedding as it could be, thanks to the efforts of a creative bride and groom. The rehearsal dinner was held in a nice big tent (a rain provision) followed by a bonfire out back of the main inn building. The ceremony was held out in the meadow next to a stream, with the cocktails on the lawn & the dinner reception in a big open barn space--all quite nice. The outdoor country mountain setting was ideal in the good weather, and the staff seemed Johnny-on-the-spot when it came to detail-management. The food was quite good, and the all-inclusive group buffet meals at appointed times had enough options to satisfy.

However, for a place that focuses on big-group event accommodations, there were some basic things that seemed to be lacking. There were very few highchairs at meals, and so families were asked to bring their own travel ones, which they then had to schlep around. The cabin accommodations are very spread out, and there is not any internal cabin-to-cabin communication (!), as well as no cell phone service, and this was all a bit hard to manage when it came to socializing / preliminary event coordination / babysitting during the event. It seemed there was a lot of unnecessary driving back-and-forth, and wondering where so-and-so was. We had lovely French lavender pump-soap in our bathroom and a clean new shower, but a very old rusty sink and a cold linoleum floor. The carpet in our cabin (Evergreen) was so old & dodgy that we worried about putting our toddler bed directly on the floor & laid down blankets first. Also, the floor in the cabin was very tipsy and our toddler kept falling over (-kinda funny). Our bed was not comfortable, and the very pretty white bedspread on it unfortunately smelled musty--like it hadn't dried quickly enough when it was last washed. I really don't understand why tip envelopes were placed everywhere in the cabin for housekeeping, when we didn't actually have any housekeeping service all weekend; that decision seemed really weird. And finally, because there was a second wedding booked on Sunday of that same weekend, we were all kinda hustled out that morning.

None of these complaints were worth bringing up when we were there...they mostly represent big-picture maintenance issues that simply aren't worth trying to "problem solve" in the course of a weekend's visit...but they all did add up to a less-than-positive whole experience. The name of the game is hospitality--especially at this price point. And I think that the claim of "rustic country charm" can only go so far. The owners need to be careful; they seem to be pushing the limits a bit.

Incidentally, my husband & I have also been to a winter wedding at Full Moon, and it's MUCH better suited for summer affairs. Despite my complaints here, we really did thoroughly enjoy the wedding festivities and will take home only good memories of this couple's big day.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank KEBnNYC
FullMoonCentral, Owner at Full Moon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Thank you for this constructive and informative review. I am pleased you were happy with the catering, the staff and the overall experience at Full Moon.

As far as your criticisms are concerned, I’ll respond point by point:
1. We do have an inventory of high chairs, generally it is sufficient to cover the needs of groups at Full Moon. Given your feedback, we have ordered additional chairs to prevent the kind of inconvenience you experienced.

2. It is true that Full Moon is a facility spread out over 100+ acres of farm like grounds. Visitors should be prepared to walk and drive a bit throughout the course of the weekend. As far as inter-facility communication are concerned, we do offer facility wide WiFi, but it is true that there is no cell service in this mountainous terrain.

3. I’m so glad you enjoyed the lavender soap and the clean new shower. We are in the process of facility wide improvements. It is true that we have deliberately left some of the antique aspects in place and yes, there are still some linolium floors that have not yet been replaced with tile.

4. The carpet in Evergreen cottage was new a few years ago and we do a steam cleaning at the start of every season. That said, I think the idea of a blanket on the floor for a toddler in a public place is a good one. The uneven floor is a result of the 70 yr old structure and the settling effect over that period of time.

5. I have directed my Housekeeping Manager to review the bed in that location and consider it for replacement; we do try to strike a balance between hard and soft beds and in any case cannot always please everyone; and though we have never had a complaint about musty bedspreads, I have directed the staff to make absolutely sure that all bedspreads are thoroughly dry prior to folding.

Henry Stout
Owner, Full Moon Resort

Reviewed May 17, 2012

1st let me say, understand that you are going "off the beaten path". Getting into the spirit of what that really means, like no cell service, allows you to be present & un-distracted. Leaving any fussy demanding behavior in the city is best.

I read everything about the place before I got on my Red Eye from Portland, so I knew it would be funky, historic & cool. It was exactly as expected. Plus a little elegant around the edges, perfect for this wedding couple.

My rooms were far from the main activities, a hike to be sure, but again, I knew that before I got there and planned accordingly. My only complaint is the bed in Rose Cottage was very hard. All those extra pillows came in handy for me.

I only met with friendly, (not overly), but pleasant staff, professional and helpful in every way. I especially loved that a full staff seemed to be on hand for our entire weekend wedding event. I didn't necessarily see them, but I knew things were being handled. Every single transition from venue to venue went smoothly. The facilities, from the campfire/ pool room, the barn, the after party bar/performance space were all top notch. Perfect for the crowd at this wedding.

The relaxed and easy pace was a huge bonus, and knowing that the bride & groom didn't have to think anymore about any details once they arrived was priceless. They could enjoy their guests and all the fun they & the staff planned. Every single meal was delicious.
Kuddos to all of you at the Full Moon Resort. We were especially lucky with a Very full moon the evening of the wedding...how did you do that?! Thank you!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JinPDX_12

Thank you for your positive and informative feedback. I was so pleased with this review because it clearly indicates that you were well informed and had appropriate expectations for our facility prior to your arrival. Full Moon is a unique and unusual combination of rustic and sophisticated. It is an entirely appropriate venue for those who seek this amazing combination of elements. We are so very pleased that you enjoyed your stay!

PS: We have ordered a padded mattress cover for the Rose Cottage :)

All the best,
Henry Stout
Owner, Full Moon Resort

Reviewed April 11, 2012

There are a number of reasons why my wife and I chose Full Moon Resort for our wedding. First, Henry and his family are fantastic people, equally matched by his staff, headed by Melanie. Second, the location. The sprawling grounds of Full Moon Resort, located in the Catskill Mountains, include mountains, streams, ponds, meadows and fields, all accessible for your wedding experience. Not to mention the numerous unique structures on the grounds, also all available to you for your special occasion. Third, the consistent dedication of Henry, Melanie, and the entire staff to make our three-day weekend event the best it possibly could be. There were no surprises and every question or concern was addressed completely. When deciding on your wedding location, ask yourself the following questions: How many weddings have I been to? How many of them were strikingly similar and although special, equally forgettable? If you desire a wedding surely you, your spouse and your guests will never forget, then pay Full Moon Resort a visit. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We got married here in August and this review is a bit overdue. Seeing relatives at christmas we are still getting rave reviews and we're very happy we had our wedding here at Full Moon. I called Michael late in the year (march) and so there was little availability left and we could not do a weekend wedding and had to do it on one of the last two Sunday's available. No one seemed to mind staying over Sunday night (its a good excuse to take off a monday in the summer :) Anyway I cant say enough and wish I did have the 3 day experience b/c you really dont want the fun to end. We had amazing attentive service from start to finish. I bugged Lindsay so much with emails asking for everything from the dimensions of the barn, the size of each table, to the height of the candleabras she rented lol (we had our reception in the barn vs. tent and it turned out truly magical) The chef (forget his name) really worked on creating a great menu with us and went a little off the normal menu to create something unique and up to our foodie standards. While it was a bit upsetting that we could not have our ceremony next to the stream we were thankful to have the back up tent since it was threatening rain but thankfully did not do so until midnight. We highly recommend having two bands one at the reception and another for the after party (we hired blue plate special from nj and a local NY band EGO for the after party (both amazing and we still get many compliments regarding them. We also had the honor of Jeffrey Gaines who made a special appearance and sang our first dance song "In Your Eyes". If you want a truly intimate, romantic, and laid back type affair, away from the normal trappings of typical wedding receptions/halls I would strongly suggest you check Full Moon out. BTW some of my guests did complain about the rooms not being air conditioned or a little too rustic or not wanting to share... if so there are a bunch of places your guests can stay close by. However it ended up being pretty chilly in mid august and unless you are one of those people who like AC on all the time you should stay on grounds to get the full experience. **rates were extremely reasonable and Michael is very easy to negotiate with and you get a LOT for the $$)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lilalu814
Reviewed November 24, 2011

We chose Full Moon for our wedding because we wanted a semi-destination (just 2.5 hours outside of NYC) weekend wedding in a beautiful, rustic setting. Full moon is absolutely beautiful and absolutely rustic (the rooms are extremely Spartan, with no recent renovations in sight). It is reasonably priced for the area, and while you pay a lot of weddings, we got a lot for what we paid for. In addition to our wedding, reception, and after party, we also hosted a Friday night BBQ and campfire at Full Moon. We were very happy with the staff (servers, bartenders, owners, receptionist, etc), especially our event manager, Lindsay, who was hard-working and receptive, and whose opinion I grew to trust. There was more than one surprise during the weekend (including a freak October snowstorm- note that it's 20-30 degrees colder up there than it is in the NYC metro area!) and a few disappointing mishaps. The mistakes involved our menu choices (they served the wrong potatoes at our wedding dinner) and specifics to our wedding (referring to our wedding as a “commitment”). However, Henry, one of the co-owners, and Lindsay, were very apologetic and offered us an appropriate discount on our final bill. Overall, our wedding was a beautiful, enchanting event, not in small part because of Full Moon!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2011

My husband and I recently attended a magical wedding weekend at the Full Moon Resort. The setting and ambiance of the Catskill Mountains, along with the superb service and cuisine that the Full Moon offers, far exceeded our expectations. We had the time of our lives. This is a perfect location for a retreat wedding. We hope to have many other opportunities to attend celebrations at the Full Moon Resort!

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ryan C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oliverea
Hotel Vienna
Cold Spring Lodge
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian
Pine Hill Arms Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Full Moon Resort? Share your experiences!