“Wonderful Catskills experience!”
Review of Full Moon Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oliverea
Full Moon Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oliverea
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our time at the beautiful Full Moon Resort! We camped in the meadow with the sounds of the lovely Esopus Creek, attended seminars in the Barn, partied at the Roadhouse, sang around the campfire and dined in the tent, and had a completely fabulous time! Food was wonderful! Weather was unkind in that it rained a lot, but we'll be back next year for Todd Rundgren's Musical Survival Camp and hope to be able to enjoy the lovely area more! Thank you to Henry, Amy and all the wonderful staff!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank CathyLeeB

Reviewed July 10, 2011

Ensconced in the beautiful Catskill mountains, the Esopus creek running alongside it, comfortable cabins ringing the property-- it was picture perfect.
The staff is very dedicated and ready to help on any contingency.
All around a memorable experience!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank juliocalero
Reviewed July 8, 2011

My husband and I had a great time at Full Moon. Thank you to Amy who answered all our questions and made sure we were well taken care of. The grounds and buildings work really well for a camp of this sort. My favorite building for panel discussions and morning sessions was the barn - seems new and full of natural light. All Todd's AWATS and Todd/Healing costumes were on display and it was delightful. All the elements it takes to put together a good multi-disciplinary conference worked great - video, mics - cozy even in the pouring rain.
Meals were served in a huge enclosed tent like a wedding ..very inviting and the food was great! Grounds were beautiful but alas the rain kept us from exploring too much. Loved the performance space at night - very intimate and warm. Perfect.
Our room was in Northern Lights and while it wasn't the fanciest room ever, it was decent and we had everything we needed including a nice common room with books. Only complaint was we could hear other people talking in their rooms. No TVs - who needs TV when you're at camp with your rock idol(-:
The Valley ViewHouse seemed really nice - we hung out in their common rooms a lot to use the house phone. No cell service in the area but the free wifi worked just fine. i would like a room at Valley view next time. (heard it's already sold out!)
We had such a good time! Thank you Full Moon and everyone involved in Todd Rundgren's Music Camp. We signed up for next year already(-:

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lois F
Reviewed July 6, 2011

On June 4th we attended a wedding at the Full Moon. It began with a barbecue the
night before. Everyone kept commenting and telling friends not to miss this dish or that. So for the wedding we knew we were in for delicious food. It truly was fine food. I'm not one to write comments but please let the chefs know we appreciated the quality!

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 5, 2011

"Our Cabin and surroundings were really nice and the Full Moon food was gourmet quality.The staff was attentive and really worked hard to make our stay great...Thank You Full Moon!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Floridavid55
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I just spent an amazing week at Full Moon. I wasn't expecting a city hotel, nor does it claim to be one. The food was great and every member of the staff was incredibly helpful, any questions or concerns that I had were quickly taken care of. Everyone that I interacted with was friendly and courteous. Of course the grounds and views were amazing but it was the little things (which can make or break a trip) like the morning coffee being plentiful and GOOD. (Ever try to start your vacation day with some burnt water like some 4-Star hotels try to give you?) True - there was no cell signal and the Wi-Fi was a bit weak but you should un-plug on vacation anyway! There was a complimentary phone and computer available 24/7 if you absolutely needed to be in contact with someone.
If you want a great escape in the care of a truly friendly and caring staff, Full Moon is a great choice. This was a solo trip for me but now that I've been there, I plan to bring my family back for at great vacation.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Utopia2011
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Stayed here recently as part of a wedding. The grounds are gorgeous and the area very woodsy and beautiful - definitely a back-to-nature sort of place. We stayed in the main building (not by choice - we were there as wedding guests and were simply assigned a room, with no real choice in the matter), which, while convenient to all of the festivities, was possibly the oldest - and least updated - building on the grounds.

While I appreciate the owners' stress of the resort being "simple accommodations to support events", I was less than happy with the value of the room compared with the price we paid. The shared bathrooms (in the hallway - shared with about 5 other rooms with people we didn't know) had inadequate hot water and plumbing to support the number of guests using them. Despite a shower prior to the rest of the guests waking in the morning, the hot water took about 10 minutes to come on, then came on scalding hot and alternated swiftly between the scalding temperature and freezing cold throughout my brief shower. The bathroom floors were quite dirty, and since there were no bath mats provided, I had to walk on the filthy floor with wet, (formerly) clean feet, which were black by the time I got back to my room. It reminded me very much of the college dorms: I needed shower shoes and to bring my own little shower caddy with me! The floor and rug in our room were also gritty and had visible grime and dirt.

Also, travelers should be aware that none of the rooms have A/C, and while it is cooler in the mountains, the rooms can get VERY warm. There are small fans provided, but moving the hot air around is not usually sufficient to cool down on a hot day.

My recommendation would be to not expect a hotel experience, or even a B&B experience, at Full Moon. It is more like one step up from a campsite than anything else. Plan accordingly: bring shower shoes, a robe, and possibly your own pillow. And earplugs, as the floors creak loudly and you can hear any noises from other rooms and other guests in the hallway. Also, don't count on the WiFi working - we couldn't get a strong enough signal to use anywhere in the building, and since room phones, 3G, and cell reception are also non-existent, all communication with guests in the other buildings is impossible.

Room Tip: Stay in a bldg other than the Valley View House.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank AngelMartin
FullMoonCentral, Owner at Full Moon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2011

First of all I’d like to thank Trip Advisor for providing the excellent service of offering a public forum for discussion of perceptions and concerns. Next, I’d like to point out that the Valley View House at Full Moon resort is 120 years old and retains the character of a turn of the century European Guest House. The Valley View House has been renovated only insofar as to assure that it is clean and updated, without adjusting it’s original character.

Regarding the cleanliness of the bathrooms, it is relevant to point out that when we have weddings of 150+ guests, we do allow them to utilize the bathrooms during the reception. We always have Event Housekeepers on duty during these times to ensure that the quality of the experience is not diminished. In response to the review below, I have consulted with my Housekeeping Managers and we will redouble our efforts to clean these particular bathrooms more frequently. As towels are concerned, I can assure everyone that we provide high quality towels in every guest room and we offer replacements from our front desk on request. That said, we are not above the possibility of making a mistake; but any such mistake could be easily remedied by a quick trip to the Front Desk; which in this case would simply be at the bottom of the stairs from the guest room.

Given that the Valley View House is over 100 years old, we do occasionally have infrastructural concerns and we address them promptly. We were not aware of the issue with Hot Water until this review was brought to our attention; at which time we identified the problem and repaired it. Again, if the guest had thought to notify our Front Desk, Maintenance would have been deployed and the problem would have been solved in the moment rather than later and in the wake of a negative public review.

As General Manager and Owner of the facility, I can assure all readers that the most effective manner to have a concern addressed is with direct communication. Negative reviews are good too; but they take much more time and really give an unbalanced perspective on what is otherwise a wonderful place to visit and gather with friends and family.

Henry Stout
Owner Full Moon Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oliverea
Hotel Vienna
Cold Spring Lodge
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream

Been to Full Moon Resort? Share your experiences!