“Second Visit - Not So Good”

Holiday Inn Express Olean
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Olean
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed here. This time en route to Washington D.C.

When we arrived the hotel seems to be in a state of refurbishment/renovation, whihc makes the lobby a mess and breakfast was in a hotel room of sorts.

Before I mention the negatives, I will say thta the staff here are lovely and very pleasant, this was the same on our last visit. Also, their DVD service is great, especially for the kids.

Obviously due to renovations (which were NOT mentioned on the Hampton Inn/Hilton website) the lobby and breakfast areas are in a mess and not a great welcome to the property. I guess this is not really a problem and we did not hear any construction noise.

What did happen was that we were woken up at 4am by the firm alarm and had to wait outside in the blowing snow and cold. The fireman said there was a steam valve problem in the basement and no fire (thank goodness) and we were back to our rooms within an hour or so. What did suprise me was that no-one walked the floors to make sure guests were aware of the fire alarm, as some people who may be hard of hearing of deep sleepers would not have heard the alarm. There really needs to be an alarm in the actual rooms, as there are with other hotels. I just thought that the staff/night manager could have made peole more aware of the situation. There was no-ne really in-charge of the situtation, which suprised me.

The next morning, over a meagre breakfast, we were told that the hotel could refund the cost of the room due to the disruption, so we got our money back - which was generous of the hotel.

On another note, and this was the same our whole trip, why is the water in the swimming pool so cold!!!!!!!!!It is winter, turn the heat up already!!

Anyway, overall not a great stay this time, but we will return once all the renos are done.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GarethParry
trayc92, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Olean, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Thank you for your comments about the staff, we understand about the renovations and we are nearly complete. We would love to see you again on your next trip!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Olean

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice while it has been under construction. It is understandable that things can't be perfect when under construction, but I have been less than pleased with both of my visits and I will not be returning.
The first time I stayed here, I paid too much for the room. Rooms in Olean are over-priced for some reason - - it is a little town that appears to have little to offer. The first room I stayed in was still dirty, and I had a moderately rude older woman check me out so I said nothing to her. (However, the young lady who checked me in was very polite!!!!). The GM was prompt in addressing the issue and refunded the one-night stay. Because of the prompt response and apology, I booked another room - - because after all, everyone has a bad day, right?
The second time I stayed, the room was a whirlpool suite that was offered to me at a discounted price. There were only a couple of random hairs (NOT MINE) in the bathroom, so I picked them up with a tissue and threw them away. Unfortunately, the room smelled of foul meat. I decided to just put mind over matter and get through the evening without complaint.
There are 2-3 staff people who couldn't be any more wonderful, but the woman who checked me out both times in the morning is not very friendly at all.
To top it off, I just called to book a room - - I could tell it was the woman who checked me out both times. She gave me their top room rates and I asked if they were no longer offering the ($20) discounted rate due to the construction. She said they were only doing one specific room type, not the one I had before.
This hotel has left me grossed out and disgusted. I travel 4-5 nights each week for business, but I will no longer stay at this hotel. I would rather drive a n hour out of my way than stay somewhere that might be clean, might be dirty, might offer an honest rate (or might not), might offer friendly staff (or might not).....you get the picture.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Traveling W

We do apologize for the construction and will look into the concerns with your room. Thank you for bringing them to our attention.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I travel every week on business and freqently write reviews. The staff at this Hampton Inn is doing its best but it's not easy when the renovation is the first thing to greet a guest. I'm sure it will be lovely when finished but I can only review what I see. Had I known ahead of time, I would've reserved anyway but my expectations would have been different.

The good news is that my room was clean and comfortable. That's important to me since my room is my home when I'm on the road. Breakfast food was as expected but, as the lobby was unavailable, was served in a borrowed conference room. The room was small so it was difficult to move around but that is temporary.

I'm wondering how long this renovation will take. I saw reviews that alluded to it in January and I stayed in mid-March. It's still underway and I didn't see a lot of activity or progress while I was there. It seems to be moving slowly. I plan to be in Olean for one night in May and am hoping it's completed or almost completed by then.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Margo G
trayc92, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Olean, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank you for the comments about staff. We hope to have renovations done before your next visit.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

My room was already redecorated and very nice. The lobby is under renovation now and breakfast area but they did a great job.

Sure once the renovations are done they will be back up and in good shape!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
trayc92, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Olean, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you for your comments. Please come visit us again to enjoy the completed renovations. It will be beautiful!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed in the whirlpool king room and it was relaxing and functional. This Hampton is trying to maintain the high standards set by Hilton but appears to be struggling a bit. They are in the midst of an ordeal with a local contractor whose poor quality in the lobby remodel is now forcing a tear-out/rework exercise to replace the newly laid lobby floor. The deluxe continental breakfast has been relocated to an adjacent conference room and the front desk is still accessible. There appear to be lots of maintenance items but the handy man tries to stay on top of them. What does come across here, that is a little disappointing is an emphasis on low expenses at a tradeoff for quality. But that may be a function of supply choice in this remote area as well. And I have noticed that Hilton ownership of the whole chain has taken away some of the value emphasis that was there in the earlier independent days.

But I would still recommend staying here if you can negotiate a reasonable rate. Hotel rates are somewhat high in Olean for what is received. But the staff were friendly, the bed comfortable, and the room clean. Good water pressure and hot temperature. We did not have any maintenance items that needed attention except that the HVAC integral thermostat seemed to need calibration. The third floor gets too warm, even in winter but you can open the outside window. The hotel is on the corner of a busy intersection so noise is somewhat noticeable on the front side. Minor irritations: cheap toilet paper & kleenex and a "sliding duvet" cover that was a battle to keep over your torso at night.

I wish the hotel management well in their battle to maintain quality.

Room Tip: Back side rooms are quieter, lower floor rooms are cooler.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SeenEnough2Know

Thank you for your nice comments about staff. We understand about the renovations but hope you will return to enjoy the completed project!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We love the beds at Hampton. They are very cozy and comfortable. No exception here.

The only downside to our stay at the Olean Hampton was that the lobby was in the middle of being remodeled and was not as nice as one would expect. We were greeted immediately as we entered, however, and were offered warm cookies. Our check-in was speedy and efficient.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
trayc92, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Olean, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We hope you will return when the lobby is complete! It will be beautiful!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Sometimes it really is the little things that's make the difference. The broken lock, lack of soap, breakfast bar hostess in jeans and tee shirt, mediocre breakfast choices - just didn't add up to a great stay. They were renovating, but everything was clean. Beds very comfy.

• Stayed: December 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Olean
Best Western Plus University Inn
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Olean/Allegany
Fairfield Inn & Suites Olean
Seneca Allegany Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Salamanca
Wingate by Wyndham Ellicottville

Been to Holiday Inn Express Olean? Share your experiences!