“Nice basic palace” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Old Forge
London, United Kingdom
“Nice basic palace”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Don't expect a five stars hotel. This one is a basic inn big and clean rooms, nice basic breakfast and pleasant hospitality. It is a bit torn and could use refurbishment, but over all good value for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

This hotel, if you want to call it that, is one of the most disgusting places that my family and I have ever stepped foot into. Starting on the outside, the place is in obvious disrepair. Doors are banged up, some that do not match, others that do not look finished. We were "fortunate" enough to rent an outside room. The upstairs looked to have some sort of makeshift balconies...At Your Own Risk! They do not look supported and some look to be ready to hit the ground!
Inside our room it smelled so terrible my family could barely breathe. The stench was a musty, cigarette, and a general putrid smell. The beds were absolutely falling apart, and were impossible to sleep on. The room itself did not appear dirty, but you could tell these rooms have seen a few people. Wall paper tearing, stained floors, mold in the showers, bugs pouring out of the outside lights, the room was in short unlivable. Unable to change hotels, we had no choice but to stay here. On the plus side, there was a pool, however it desperately needs to be cleaned, and I would not allow my family to swim in it.
The staff was generally friendly. However they seem to be severely understaffed as we saw the same few maids during our entire stay. The only enjoyable part of our stay were the very accommodating and friendly maids. The office also seemed understaffed and unprofessional. They often at times seemed as though they were unsure of what they were doing. The office woman we most often dealt with was a middle aged woman. I had passed her several times as she sat smoking, thinking she was another customer, as I looked for a desk person. When I realized it was her, I was very shocked. She approached me with her cigarette in her mouth, and did not seem concerned the smoke was entering the building. She was friendly enough to me, but was too busy at one point to help me as she was yelling at a coworker.

Please reconsider when coming to this hotel. I have never had such an awful experience during a vacation before. I am very displeased and warn everyone I know who is looking to stay in the beautiful Adirondacks, Stay Away From This Hotel!

Room Tip: Do not choose any room pick another hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank NyGolfguy66
Niskayuna, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

There are a number of items that were far from what I would expect from a decent motel. The room I was given had carpet with stains in it and portions of the walls and ceiling were damaged and not repaired. There was a broken wall light and since there are two matching lights it looked really bad.
Both the sink and bathtub drains worked very, very poorly. After washing up or brushing teeth it took about one minute for the water to clear in the sink. While showering I stood in at least a couple of inches of water in the tub.

The hallway in which our room door was located had a strong musty, mold-like smell. Even the chlorine smell from the nearby pool couldn't balance that out.

There is a carport-like structure that spans the main office building and the building I was in. A staff member would sit on the steps leading into the building smoking cigarettes. when she would move so someone could enter or exit the smoke would enter the hallway. It's just lack of respect for their patrons.

My Wife and I booked this place for a bed and a shower and used the room for little else as we were out and busy all day. It's really too bad because the facility has potential and was at one time a very, very nice place about two owners and many years ago.

The attached photos were taken Saturday July 2. 2012.

Room Tip: If you go (and you shouldn't), opt for a room with a private entrance and not a room off the mai...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank tripilot
North Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

I am the VP of a Motorcycle Club that stayed there 23rd & 24th of June. We had a great time and the staff was VERY accommodating. Did not hear one complaint in our group. THANKS !!

Room Tip: They all are good but we preferred the ground floor ones.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TKlipoff61
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

In a decent location; seemed clean outside; the room was spacious, but the rugs seemed so filthy we only wore shoes around! The shower didn't work; the internet connection wouldn't work and the indoor pool was shut down due to something being broken...at least the tv worked adequately. The linens seemed clean.....there was supposed to be a breakfast in the lobby at 8am but we didn't stay to wait for that; for fear of something not being right or ready with it; we don't usually complain, but this just made for a lousy night overall...at least the price was reasonable!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scouternurse S
Bridgewater, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

I'd highly recommend staying at this lodge! The staff is very attentive and responsive to guest needs. Our family has stayed there several times and we've gone back. Comfortable and a good value.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cathy S
Laurens, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

My husband and I met up with a couple of friends of ours who were staying here and to help them unpack for their stay and too see what the place was like because we had never been there. We were not impressed. Upon the four of us entering the room it was not making me want to stay there and made me happy that we were not. One would think that to have a balcony would be very nice, and it is, unless all you see when you look at your balcony is a bunch of dead flies. When I say flies I mean, its younger years were as a maggot. I might also mention dead flies all over the room. We walked by certain rooms and the hall would smell like old wet dog and later found out that they allowed pets in certain rooms of the lodge. Wonder if they have ever heard of carpet cleaner for pet odors.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Eagle Bay
Marina Motel
Marina Motel
#1 of 6 in Inlet

Been to Adirondack Lodge Old Forge? Share your experiences!