“BEARS!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Old Forge
Old Forge Camping Resort
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Before we could even unpack the car other cabins were yelling because a bear started charging thru the campground, (we were there not even 10 minutes ) this was at 2:10 pm . So we figure no big deal just a bear passing thru. Um not quite. We had a great time at Water Safari it is an awesome place and a great price! That evening I had another bear sneak up on the side of the cabin and scare my wife to death it was about 5 feet awau from her. That evening with no food anywhere near us, no grill around and everything and i do mean everything cleaned up as by this point we are very bear cautious with having three little kids and all more bears show up and climb on and around my truck hang around on the porch or my cabin and are looking in our windows. Now we had NO food anywhere not even an empty diet Pepsi can was left near us. The first night I didn't sleep these bears had taken over the cabin area, had my kids terrified and would not leave! Bears climbing all over and around the cabin all night long. Morning comes and we have to walk literally about 50 yards to the bathroom. i peak outside to make sure the bears are gone and see none. However, after just going to the bathroom and walking back to the cabin neighbors are yelling about a bear heading right at us. Well.it wasn't a bear it was two bears and I had to have the kids run in the cabin. We left , went to Water Safari for the 2nd day had a great time and came home around 6 to beat the bears. My older son wanted a fire and I told him no smores unfortunatly as we feared the bears. My one younger son wouldn't even come outside after yet another bear coming at us. So now the fire is going and it's getting dark and my son is far too scared to stay out with the bears as you cannot see them coming. I assured him I would protect him however he was still too scared to stay out. Again bears all night long pawing the cabin, walking on the porch haning on my truck. Morning comes and trying to pack the truck to leave and more bears come running at us so we had to keep running inside. The bottom line it's a beautiful campground and water safari is lots of fun but SOMEONE has fed these bears and they are not scared at all! They roam all the time day and night and there is no way I would let my kids out of my sight . Now in all fairness we were in the back in a cabin far away the main building and perhaps it is better to be right up by the main building. We did nothing to attract the bears yet they were a constant threat and we found ourselves not enjoying the campground at all as you constantly have to watch for these bears. Down by the swimming area near the main building we never saw any bear and the lake and boats were fun... 55% of the video games in the arcade were out of order including the pool table and the rest of the video games were from the early/mid 80's. If you want to see bears up close and really personal go here. We will unfortunaly never stay here again not beacause of the campground but the bears are everywhere! We will come to old forge again but will have to stay in a hotel. We have camped all over the east coast all the way to and including Fl with alligators and even buffalo and never had an issue like this before, We have camped hundreds of times in 'bear country' and never had an issue until we camped at old forge.

Room Tip: Cabin was fine,clean and bigger than it looked on the web.
6  Thank arthur086
General M, Manager at Old Forge Camping Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2012

We apologize for the delay in our response. We appreciate your feedback and are sorry that your stay here was not asenjoyable as it could have been. We understand that when you are worried about your family and their safety it can be hard to relax. The bears were not as prevalent during the summer as previous years, as the food supply in the woods was plentiful. We do have ways to deal with bears in the campground, and wish we had known there was such a persistent bear around. The Main Lodge is open from 8 am to 10 pm, and there is a security guard on all night, so there is always someone who would be able to respond to the situation. We might have been able to chase it away, which may have changed the outcome of your vacation. We do appreciate the input and hope that you would consider a repeat visit.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

It was our first time to the campground and we were so impressed, we can't wait to return. We have never been to such a clean and well kept campground. Unfortunately, no bear sightings for us. My kids were on the lookout the whole time. We did have so e overly friendly chipmunks but that's it. Water safari was a blast, the train ride was nice and candy store on main street is a must-visit. :-)

Room Tip: We stayed in a cabin, very comfortable, and much better than a tent in the rain. My kids loved the p...
2  Thank Familyof5worldtravel
Reviewed July 13, 2011

service,cottage, and amenities where fine,but there are so many campsites they are practically on top of one another.absolutely no privacy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: the rooms in the cottage where large enough for my family of five.
2  Thank curtis13440
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We have stayed here 4 times. The first without children and the last three with. The staff has always been helpfull and nice. When you call to reserve they will let you request a site that you want. We have camped in a different cabin everytime and loved everyone of them. We are going back next month and I am sooo excited! I know there are alot of bears but luckily I have never seen one. We always stay at least two nights.

Room Tip: Cabins by the lodge are nice but not very private
  • Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank pdf7106
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We have been going every year in August. First year in tent but switched to Cabin every year after that! Great QUIET family vacation! They patrol the roads at night to keep bears away, but I loved seeing the bears and taking photos! They run when you CLAP loudly, so they're not aggresive at all! Love the cabin (cottage once was really great, but expensive). The park is quiet at night and lots of fun in the daytime, great sandy beach, shuttle to WaterSafari is handy but an easy walk there, too. Staff is very nice and helpful if needed. Will continue to go every year! Starting to bring grandchildren now, too!

Room Tip: Cabin is muc better than tent...
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank twoolson
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Love old forge camping resort! They are very friendly always have activities to do for adults and kids. So relaxing! I go every year more than once! Thanks to the old forge camping resort staff for making our stay there so much fun.

• Stayed: July 2010
3  Thank kimmi070707
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights the end of June. We had a great time overall. Rode the shuttle bus to Enchanted Forest-very nice driver! Our cabin was right across from the nature trail. We saw lots of deer. Only complaint was our visiting bear. Whoever says the bears are harmless in their reviews obviously didn't meet ours. He came by twice while we were grilling hotdogs/making popcorn. First time we had to grab our food and run inside the cabin. Second time he got right on our picnic table. That bear came right up to us while we were sitting outside. He was not afraid of us at all! My two young kids 2 & 5 were scared to death. Nobody was comfortable the rest of the trip sitting by the campfire in the dark/or taking walks down the nature trail/or walking to the bathroom alone. Kind of put a damper on the rest of the trip. Minus the bears it would have been a great camping trip.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Pine Knoll Lodge & Cabins Inc
Clark's Beach Motel
Clark's Beach Motel
#10 of 12 in Old Forge

Been to Old Forge Camping Resort? Share your experiences!