“Pleasantly surprised,”

Mountainside Smokehouse & Grill
Ranked #11 of 36 Restaurants in Old Forge
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Nice adirondack , woodsia feel to the interior. It is small with a bar. About 10 tables. They do all smoking of meat on the grounds. The menu has something for everyone. I enjoyed a platter of pulled pork & brisket served with 2 sides plus either corn bread or garlic bread. I had cole slaw made with blue cheese-excellent & mac with cheese. Not the box type. My husband who hates m&c loved it as it was not made with elbow mac plus tasty different cheeses. He also enjoyed his blackened catfish. There is always a special fish dinner. That nite mako shark. A couple of people had collard greens which were completely eaten. We were too stuffed to try their homemade desserts.

Pp

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I don't know if we ate there on an off night, but I wouldn't go back or recommend it to anyone in the area. First off, we were both super hungry so the fact that we left our meals meant neither one of us could get over the issues -mainly with the seasoning -despite our hunger. We got a brisket french dip (which was fine, but nothing to write home about, significant amount of gristle in the sandwich) and a 4th lake combo. The ribs were the best part of the meal, pulled pork was good, but not better than you can do at home and the sides were bad-straight out unedible. Mac & Cheese came out cool and salty and the potato casserole (which I was most looking forward to), we couldn't eat more than two bites of - it was so salty that you couldn't taste anything other than the salt on your tongue --and anyone who has seen me eat, ever, knows I LOVE salt. I was sorely disappointed after hearing good things, but there are so many great places to eat in OF, I wouldn't try it again.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We recently were up in the Inlet, Old Forge NY area and happened upon this place. Did not even know it was there but decided to give it a chance and we were so glad we did! Greeted upon entering and we were seated promptly. We did have to wait quite a few minutes after being seated for anyone to take our drink order so only negative thing we had to say. The waitress was more concerned about clearing tables and resetting them to acknowledge us there for almost 8 minutes so that would be my only recommendation, wait on your guests don't leave them seated so long. But the rest of the experience and service was great so she redeemed herself.
We selected an appetizer of wings. They were big and juicy and smoked! Not like the little wings a lot of places serve. Blue cheese dip very tasty and of course all of the special dipping sauces on the table they make on site were excellent too. My husband ordered a St Louis style rib and wing dinner. It was very good he said... and portions were above average so he did not mind the $18 price. It came with a choice of two sides. He selected the special mixed baked beans and potatoes and the homemade garlic toast. He was very impressed with the food. Some of the best he had ever had. I choose the pulled pork dinner at $12. It came with a generous portion and you could use the table sauces if needed but it was very good as it was served. I choose for my sides the baked bean dish and it was very tasty and served differently they I had had so I imagine it was homemade. I had the cornbread which was also homemade. I also choose the mashed potato bake which came served in a ramkin dish with cheeses, and bacon and real mashed potato which is a plus in our book. Waitress was very attentive and kept coming to check on us and clearing dishes, bringing wet naps when needed and boxes to take home. We will definitely go back if we are in the area and have time again. They only serve dinners not lunch at this time so if planning a trip you will want to plan your time around that. Would have liked to try dessert but we were too full. Bathrooms and restaurant clean and cute. Small but nice atmosphere and great barbecue they do on premise themselves with sauces too! Keep up the good work!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

All smoking is done on the premises. All desserts are made daily right there as well. We found this place a few years ago, and we make sure that we have dinner at least once every time we visit the area.

The portions a big and well worth the price! The potato casserole is not to be missed!

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was the first year we tried Mountainside. The atmosphere is very pleasant and newly renovated. The food was excellent and their desserts are yummy!