“Painful beds” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Christy's Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Old Forge
Christy's Motel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Old Forge
Syracuse, New York
“Painful beds”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

Room looked very clean but early in the morning, when the sunlight streamed through the open door, dust motes filled the air top to bottom. My eyes had felt like they had sand in them and now I understand why. I don't think the carpets had been vacuumed for a long time. The linoleum in the bathroom looks filthy, but I think it's because it's old. The beds were extremely soft and sagging; even the box springs sagged. They must be very old and definately need replacing. We were all suffering from stiff backs the next morning. Our limited contact with the owner (?) was fine and he did accommodate a special need well. The overall impression is that this property is trying, but needs some major updates. I'm questioning the glowing reviews others have given this motel.

Room Tip: Ask how old the mattresses are.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChristysMotel, Owner at Christy's Motel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Hi luv2travel48713,

Let me assure you the carpet in your room and every room is vacuumed, the bathroom floor swept and wet mopped with an antibacterial cleaner before guests check in.

Is it possible what you were seeing was coming from the outside? You stated the door was open and we are having one of the driest summers on record. Maybe it was pollen or ragweed, which would explain the eye problem.

As for the beds, this is a subject that will come up again and agian. It all comes down to what you are accustomed to at home and for most people, anything different will cause them to wake up with a stiff back. Over the years I've had guests tell me they didn't sleep well because of the bed and three days later have another guest tell me they had the best night sleep in the same bed.

For me the most upsetting thing about this review, is that you never came to the
office and gave us an opportunity to rectify what you felt was unacceptable. At Christy's we try very hard to make our guests visit to the area enjoyable and one that they will remember for years to come.

Good or bad, thanks for taking time out of your day to post a review. We hope you will give the Old Forge area another try. After reading the other reviews you posted for this trip, it appears that you didn't have a very good time and the area does have allot to offer.

Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cincinnati
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

If your looking for the motel with lots of welcoming people and not a lot of frills, this is the place. Front desk people are extremely helpful. Place is clean but looks and feels kind of old. My biggest complaint is no dead bolt locks on the door. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Get room away from road but traffic noise not really a problem.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dairyboy
ChristysMotel, Owner at Christy's Motel, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Hi dairyboy,

I'm jealous! I just took a look at all of the reviews you have been posting and it looks like you are having a great road trip. Good for you! I do have to say, at first I didn't understand what you meant by "looks and feels kind of old". But after seeing some of the new places (Americas Best, La Quinta Inn) you have been staying in. I would have to concur that Christy's does hold true to the old style motel from years ago. That you park in front of your room and all of the motel rooms are ground level. Thanks for posting a review and your input.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip,
Groton, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have stayed is a few different places in Old Forge, but this was by far the best. The rooms are spotless. The staff great. The night movies by the pool a big plus for families. Even the wild life enjoyed them. A great place to stay and I would reccommend this motel to everyone. Thank you for a wonderful vacation with my grandkids. I will be returning next summer. The Bickal family

Hello Bickal Family,

It was great to have you as a guest at Christy's and a pleasure to see you and your family enjoy the area. I'm sure the grandkids are already starting to plan what you will be doing the next time you visit Old Forge. Thanks for taking the time to post a review and hope to see you again soon.

kingston, on
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

My wife and two children stayed here while visiting Old Forge. Steve (Owner) certainly takes great pride in his property. Steve replied very quickly to our e-mails and was always available. The rooms and property are spotless. I was impressed with the fact that Steve played movies outside in the evening and even went out of his way to ask what my children would enjoy. It really is the little things...The reason I did not give this property 5 stars (circles) was because our room, #18, I felt was a little close to the highway and the gas station across the street. The gas station is very busy and can be very loud at times (delivery trucks,etc.) I would recommend requesting a room set back a little further away from the highway. Having said, we would definitly come back. Thanks Steve and sorry about the firepit lid!!

Room Tip: Request a room which is set back from the highway
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChristysMotel, Owner at Christy's Motel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Hi cloh2o33,

Thanks for staying with us and it was nice chatting with you and your family! I would have to agree with you on the convenience store. There are days from mid morning till around noon that it's like a bee hive, with the coming and goings of deliveriers. Then it quiets down and you only see the customers coming and going. It's funny, room #18 is like chocolate, either you like it or you don't. We have guests that will change there plans if they can't have it....go figure. As for the firepit lid, no big thing. You wouldn't believe how many people have asked what happened to it and laugh when I tell them.

Hope you get to visit the area again,
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Its a quaint Motel - rooms are clean - the outside movies are a nice plus - very close to all the village shoppes. Its not reccommended if you have a toddler, as its very close to the main Rte 28 and there really isnt much of a safe play area - for the older kids ITS JUST RIGHT - the pool is good, basketball etc . There was problematic noise levels in room 2, as there is a room straight above it and you hear all the foot traffic from above, so stay clear of that room. I would stay at this hotel again - BUT BYOC - bring your own coffee !

Room Tip: stay away from room 2 - very noisy
Hi Whitewitch63,

Thanks for visiting the area and taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor about your stay at Christy's. After reading your review, I would like to clarify the distance from your room to Rt. 28. I measured the distance from the sidewalk to the door of room #2 and it is 175 feet, with the play area being 40 feet in front of the room. I can understand that this may seem close to you, all depending on how close you are to a roadway at home.

Thanks again and hope you visit the area again sometime,
Jamesville, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

This is now our go to place in Old Forge for family visits! I emailed back and forth with Steve from the motel and he was very responsive and honest right through our actual stay. The rooms are roomy compared to some other more expensive ones in the area, are exceptionally clean, and the staff was quick to make it new every day. The pool is clean and comfortable temp wise. The gas grill was great for making dinner, and for a family. a money-saver. They also show an outdoor movie, weather permitting, at dusk that is family friendly, in fact, all the adults watched as the kids played on the swings in the small play area. A small gift shop and liquor store next door and a convenience store across the street were a nice bonus! The cable had plenty of options and the WiFi worked perfectly. Thank you Steve for the conversation, advice on places to check out, and a great couple of days. We will be back!

1 Thank David G
ChristysMotel, Owner at Christy's Motel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Hi David,

It was nice to meet you and your family. Isn't it funny how some nights there are more adults watching the movie than kids. But that's OK, as long as everyone is having fun on vacation. Thanks for posting a review and hope you enjoy the rest of the summer.

Erin, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

My teen daughter and I spent 3 nights at Christy's, with no regrets. When I made the reservation over the phone just days before our trip, I was told we would have to move to another room at the hotel after our first night. I was willing to work around that, but when we actually arrived I was pleasantly surprised when I was told we would not have to change rooms after all. No, the hotel is not fancy--furnishings are basic and practical--but everything was well maintained. The hotel cleaning staff does an excellent job--our room was absolutely spotless. The air conditioner worked well, as did the tv--the only problem was that there was no wireless in the room, and phone cell signal was not always reliable. Personally, those weren't big issues for me, but if you're someone who can't stand being disconnected, you might not be thrilled. I thought the price of the room was very reasonable, and the motel conveniently located-- i would definitely stay at Christy's again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChristysMotel, Owner at Christy's Motel, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Hi Renee,

First let me thank you for your kind words about the housekeeping staff. I will be sure to pass them on to them. After reading your review, I took my laptop down to the end room and sure enough the siginal was not strong enough to connect. When our WIFI system was installed we had good siginal strength in all of the rooms. I have a guess what caused the problem in the room you stayed in, but that really doesn't matter. What matters is you couldn't connect and I am pleased to say that we have installed additional equipment that should cure the problem.

Thanks for the review and the heads up on the WIFI,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Old Forge
#4 of 12 in Old Forge
Clark's Beach Motel
Clark's Beach Motel
#10 of 12 in Old Forge

Been to Christy's Motel? Share your experiences!