“Awesome Hudson River Whitewater”

Adirondack River Outfitters
Ranked #5 of 16 things to do in Old Forge
More attraction details
Owner description: Guided whitewater rafting trips on the Black River in Watertown, the Hudson River in North River, and the Moose River in Old Forge. ARO has been providing friends and families adrenaline filled adventures for thirty four years. A day on a rafting adventures can provide a lifetime of memories.
NY
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Awesome Hudson River Whitewater”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

It was a busy weekend - dress up weekend on the Hudson River. Lots of outfitters and perfect weather. Booked at the last minute so to speak - chose Adirondack River Outfitters and loved it. Chet was an outstanding and knowledgeable guide. It was his 998th trip down the Hudson! Got the pre-raft safety talk and headed off to the river to launch our raft.
We enjoyed the snack on the river (peanut butter, honey, and Honey Bunches of Oats in a tortilla wrap with a glass of lemonade). There were a couple young boys that opened it up and one said to the other: "Just eat it - don't look at it" and tried it and commented how good it was and wolfed it down. The rapids were awesome. We even did the rock jumping and the raft surfing. And at the end, the BBQ was great - marinated chicken breast, potato salad, macaroni salad, coleslaw, tossed salad, fresh bread/flavored butter, watermelon, cold beer, hard lemonade, and regular lemonade - and all you can eat!
Thanks to Chet and ARO for a memorable rafting day!

1 Thank EmTeeNesters

Bronxville, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dylan!”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My family and I had an outstanding experience on the beautiful Hudson River Gorge yesterday, largely due to the fact that Dylan was such an amazing and professional guide. He had an intimate understanding of the river, and he displayed wonderful leadership abilities. Dylan was relaxed and calm, yet always in full control of his surroundings. I was particularly impressed how he would inform the rafters what to anticipate over the next few minutes of rough water, and what types of maneuvers he would need from us in order to get through safely. Dylan also paid particular attention to the comfort of the rafters, and he always asked for strokes politely :"three forward please; left side 2 back please." Perfect guide for the family with nervous participants. Very impressive skills indeed!

1 Thank Robert S
Albany, New York
4 attraction reviews
“Tons of fun!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was an awesome experience! ARO had a great staff who were fun, knowledgeable, and very efficient! The Black River had some crazy spots but also had some great scenery and relaxing spots. I plan to make many more trips with the company in the future, as the entire day was great. We had a lot of boats out for our trip but everything went smoothly, nothing felt rushed or too busy which was great!

Byron, New York, United States
“What an adventure!!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I recently treated my husband and his brother (both of whom had white water rafted before) on a trip down the Black River with Adirondack River Outfitters (ARO). We had fun, to say the least, on this 2.5-3 hour trek. The staff were knowledge and extremely helpful when it came to gearing up and getting you ready to hit the rapids. Our guide, Matt, was like no other!!! He was carefree and really made all of us feel comfortable in all of the situations the river had to offer (even the cruncher). He made sure that everyone had a memorable experience. I know I did, as I had moments where I was placed in the "princess seat," so I could see just that much more adventure ;) Matt even shared his random tidbits about the river; some fact, some fiction. Regardless, more than enjoyable!!! I would highly recommend ARO.

Visited July 2013
Albany, New York, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“What a blast!!!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We used this as a team building exercise for work and some people were definitely nervous about the idea! The team at ARO was amazing, our tour guide Dylan was very informative and easy to work with. You literally paddle for about 20% of the time and enjoy the trip for 100% of the time! I will admit, when you pull up you may find yourself thinking, "um... when's the last time this place was updated?", but what they may lack in appearance they make up for in safety and fun. Also - the chicken at the BBQ afterwards is incredible. Don't skip the BBQ!

Visited June 2013