“bad deal at waters edge”
Review of Water's Edge Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Old Forge
Water's Edge Inn
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Old Forge
Reviewed October 5, 2013

the waters edge was nice,but i was booked for 5 nights and stayed 4 and had to check out early and they still charged me for for fifth night, i would not go back there is a lot of nice places to stay in old forge.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jim d
General M, General Manager at Water's Edge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Guest,
It is our policy that there are no refunds for early departures. We held your reservation for a lake view room for four nights for you and then verified your length of stay when you checked in. After confirming, you paid for the entire stay and signed the registration form. Letting us know the morning of your last day that you are leaving does not give us ample time to try and rent the lake view room we were holding for your use. If a guest is not sure they can stay the entire time, please let us know in advance so that way we can work with you to accommodate you. The motels/hotels in this area operate this way as we are located in a small community, relying heavily on the advance plans of our visitors.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We booked a room with 2 queens and a lake view several weeks in advance. Reading Trip Advisor feedback we were a little concerned regarding rooms that needed updated. Spending $189/ night plus tax we called the morning of our arrival and asked for an updated room. The lady that we talked to assured us that ALL rooms have been updated. We did get a spacious room that was updated. The room was clean and the view was nice. We had a balcony with two andirondack chairs. The beds were comfortable. We did not eat at their complimentary breakfast. We opted to go to Keyes Restaurant instead. Check in and check out was hassle free. The side entrances do not offer any security. They are closed but not locked during the night. Folks have to smoke in the parking lot in designated areas. We felt the price was a little steep, but we were from out of town attending a wedding so we bit the bullet and paid the price.

Room Tip: Reserve as early as possible. Call the morning of your arrival to confirm your reservation and addre...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank moobar
General M, General Manager at Water's Edge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the hotel. We are constantly striving to improve and meet our guests’ needs. You must have stayed with us recently, as the rate of $185 is the weekend rate for Lakeview Queens during the fall foliage season. As of today, we entered into our Value Season and we have rooms starting at $65. We adopted a 100% Smoke-Free policy a few years back and ask that our guests be at least 25 feet from the building in order to smoke. We do keep ash receptacles in the parking lot for our guests, as well as on the lakefront side of the hotel.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I went for his birthday in August. We had no children with us. But most people did. The room we booked was a jucuzzi room with a balcony. The jacuzzi jets didn't work really. The water came out of them but there was no pressure. The room had a fridge and 2 flat screen tvs. One in the room with the couch and the other in the room with the bed. We had good wireless service. There was no coffee maker but we brought our own. The view from the balcony was very nice. I wished that the room with the sofa and the room with the bed were switched. The air conditioner and the window and door to the balconey were in the room with the sofa. This made the bedroom very warm at night. The breakfast was a carb fest. A couple of the days there was reconstituted scrambled eyes but for the most part it was frozen waffles, frozen french toast sticks, chocolate muffins, white bagels and english muffins. The only saving grace for me was granola and yogurt. All the kids in the room seemed to love it and I'm sure that's what it's geared to. All in all we had a great stay but next time I would only stay there if I was bringing kids to and going to the Water Safari accross the street.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wendyxski
General M, Public Relations Manager at Water's Edge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay in August. We value our guest’s opinions as it is the best way to improve our facility. We apologize that the jets in your Jacuzzi were not working well; had you expressed your concern about the Jacuzzi while you were here we would have promptly corrected the situation. We do not have coffee makers in the room as we provide complimentary coffee in our Great Room from 7am – 10pm. Our breakfast offers many healthy options such as fresh fruit (apples, oranges and bananas), yogurt, granola, raisin bran and oatmeal. We offer two hot items and they are both prepared fresh every day and rotate days so guests get a variety during their stay. In addition to the chocolate muffins, we also rotate in blueberry muffins, banana bread, spiced muffins, etc. We have been working on steadily improving our breakfast over the past couple of years; we appreciate your perspective and have made note to offer more adult friendly and health conscious food items. We are pleased that your overall stay was great and we hope that you would consider a return stay with us.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I chose this hotel because of the indoor pool and free continental breakfast. It's also a nice perk that every room has a balcony, however I had to change my reservation when I arrived because I learned that I wasn't on the lake side of the building. The type of room I originally booked isn't available on the lake side, so I had to pay a little more for the change. I learned that this information is on their website, but not on the reservation page.

The pool is small, so I was glad my boyfriend and I were the only ones in it at the time. Sitting on our private balcony was very nice, but they're a little narrow for the furniture on them. The bathroom area also doesn't have the best layout.

I've seen larger spreads elsewhere in a continental breakfast, but this one was decent.

So, some minor things that would have led to a higher rating if they were different, but I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Standard king rooms are only on the park side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erin E

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. While there is not much we can change in order to get a higher rating from you, we are constantly looking for ways to improve. Being located in town and on the lakefront limits us from expansions so we must keep our pool and building size as is. We try and remodel different sections of the hotel in order to keep it current, modern and clean. This year we added high-definition flat panel cable televisions to every room, as well as media charging/docking stations. Our pool area was newly tiled and the sauna got a face-lift as well. We will be making some changes on our Complimentary Continental Breakfast to mix it up for the winter season. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

After coming up here for a summer end trip we will not be back. We called into reservations and explained, we have 2 adults and 3 children. Explained that a lake view double would be prefect for us. We showed up to find only 2 full beds. I went back down to ask how is this suppose to work, the woman says they could give us a cot for $10/night more. Whata joke... Also, at the time of reservation we were sold the stay 3 nights with 2 days at Enchanted Forest. FALSE !!!! You get one full day and a partial day after 3pm,,,the park closes at 5pm !! So you get 1 day and 2 hours. The staff is rude and needs to learn customer service skills. The condition of the hotel is fair, the balcony railings are rickety, do not let your children on the balcony. Online it states there is charters in the park such and Spongebob, Spider-Man ,etc. after arriving and looking in some local publication, it's only a few select days. BUYER BEWARE !!! We have 2 more nights here and will probably check out early. To the staff at Waters Edge, go take a class at a customer service school...

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Chris E
General M, Public Relations Manager at Water's Edge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear Guest,
When taking inquiry calls we explain what room types we have available for the period people are inquiring about, realizing everyone has their own personal preferences. The Lakeview Double is explained as having two double beds and it is listed on the confirmation that is emailed. With that in mind, many of our guests rent the rooms with two double beds for their family of five as it is the most economical way to stay. Guests then may bring an air mattress, sleeping bag or rent a cot for the fifth person and in many instances they even put three small kids in one bed. We leave that up to the guest.
We also ask our future guests if they are planning on going to the Enchanted Forest Water Safari, located directly across the street, so we may offer them an option to save money by booking their reservation as a Stay ‘N Play package. This discounts their stay at the hotel and includes two one-day passes to the water park. We also inform them about another bonus option that the water park offers known as their Siesta Savings plan. With the tickets you can enter the Park at 3:00 pm until close at 6:00 pm, or in this case, 2:00 pm until close at 5:00 pm, and then return the following day for free. That is also true when using the additional discounted tickets you purchased from us as well. We apologize for the misunderstanding that the package includes passes for two days.
When expressing your concern to the Front Desk about the sleeping accommodations after checking in, our experienced reservationist apologized and offered a couple of options for you in order to remedy your situation. You declined the room with the King bed with a separate sitting room with a Queen-size sofa sleeper and you also refused the adjoining rooms that each have two double beds in them. You also declined the cot. We apologize that none of these options worked for you, as we certainly want our guests to be happy and we try our best to make this happen. We’re sorry this fell short for you.
Over the last few years we have remodeled all of our guest rooms, and will be continuing our efforts in common areas and around the hotel as needed. We recently renovated our pool area and our Great Room which is located off the lobby. In addition to this, we most recently added high-definition flat panel televisions to all the rooms with cable/internet with a dedicated fiber optic line and multimedia charging stations. We try to keep making improvements each year to keep current. We also try to keep our guests informed by providing in-room Guest Services books. Our website makes no reference to the character visits, however, we do post on Facebook as to when their appearances are over the course of the summer as we know many of our guests anticipate their arrival.
In spite of your dissatisfaction, we are glad you chose to stay with us the entire visit rather than leaving early as you suggested. We hope you were able to take advantage of our amenities such as the heated indoor pool, sauna, arcade and complimentary hot continental breakfast.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I did quite a bit of traveling this summer and was very happy with most of my accommodations. This is especially true of my stay at Water's Edge Inn in Old Forge, NY. After traveling out of the country, I returned to spend time with my niece and was most pleasantly surprised by the attention we received at this hotel. When I made our reservation I mentioned I was coming to celebrate my niece's 8th birthday and to take her to the water park. When we checked into our room there was a bouquet of helium balloons with a Happy Birthday message for my niece. She was thrilled! We were both so surprised and I was especially pleased that the staff remembered that detail and went out of their way to make her feel special.

The room was pleasant and clean, the complimentary continental breakfast was quite extensive and the staff was very friendly. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Erice7316
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We spent the first part of our family vacation this year in Old Forge because we wanted to go to the water park across the street and wanted to see a different part of upstate New York (our second part was in Lake George) so we decided to stay here for two days.

The Good: The hotel has a good location to the water park and town. They give you a nice free breakfast and the sitting area is very relaxing overlooking the lake. It has a nice rustic setting. The pool has a Sauna.

The not so good: Check in could be a little friendlier that day. We advised the man at the desk that we were going to be at the water park across the street, trying to strike up some conversation and if he had any advice for any good restaraunts etc.... He advised us that we need to make sure we move our car off the property the day we check out because "we are sold out" and check out is promptly at 11am. Hmmm, how about a Welcome to the Waters Edge, Thank you for staying with us (shaking my head) In the room, the bathroom sink area is somewhat small, with zero countertop (I think an airplane lavatory has more countertop, seriously) and is in front of a closet and the bathroom door. It is difficult to to really describe but the room and bathroom design is bad. Not ergonomic at all. The shower had terrible water pressure and the water temperature kept fluctuating between hot and cold when in use. Another issue is the free WiFI. Apparently the usage is limited because we tried to get into the internet and got a message stating the maximum number of guest users had been exceeded, so getting wifi was hit or miss. That should not be the case- If you advertise free wifi on your sign, everyone should be able to use it. I went to the front desk to ask if something was wrong or if there was anything that could be done and was answered: " Do you know we are sold out?" I answered that I need to get into the net and he said again "We are sold out" Uh, ok......Next topic; the "heated" pool was ice cold and there were no towels at the pool to use when you got out. You had to bring your own. There should be towels in the pool area.

Otherwise, everything was good. Not a bad hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DjMrMark1
General M, Public Relations Manager at Water's Edge Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the Water’s Edge Inn. We truly value the opinions of our guests and we apologize for not meeting your expectations. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service is our number one priority. We have only one male that works at the front desk and we have spoken with him regarding the situation. If he did not listen closely to your questions, he extends his apologies. Our internet provider was having service issues for one day that may have occurred during your stay. They very quickly resolved the issue and we were able to get all guests promptly on line when they made us aware of the situation. Usage on our system is not limited in any way and our current provider is extremely reliable. We are sorry you were unhappy with your room layout, the shower and the pool. The pool is regulated at a temperature of 82 degrees. Our goal is to provide top notch accommodations and when any issue is brought to our attention, we immediately respond with appropriate resources to resolve any concerns.
We’re glad your overall summary was positive: “otherwise, everything was good, not a bad hotel.” We’d love to have you return to the Water’s Edge Inn and upon check in, please request to speak with the manager on duty. We’d like to ensure right from the start that you will have a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Old Forge
Pine Knoll Lodge & Cabins Inc
Clarks Beach Motel
Clarks Beach Motel
#11 of 12 in Old Forge

Been to Water's Edge Inn? Share your experiences!