“What a gem!”
Review of Water's Edge Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Old Forge
Water's Edge Inn
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Old Forge
Sandusky, Ohio
“What a gem!”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I wish there were more stars to give! From the staff to the view this was one of the most amazing places that my family and I were fortunate enough to discover. Everyone here was so accommodating, and by the end of the week we were on a first name basis with Becky, Ashley, Grace, and Gai. They were extremely helpful in giving us the “what to do’s” of this beautiful little town. We were able to enjoy the Adirondacks and all it has to offer. I highly recommend renting a boat and going out on the pristine lakes, riding the water slides at the “Enchanted Forest”, white water rafting, and hiking Bald Mountain. The rooms were extremely cozy, clean, and contemporary. I could go on and on….the waterfront views, fireplace, library, continental breakfast, friendly staff, Jacuzzi tub, indoor pool, etc. We can’t wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Marie L
General M, Public Relations Manager at Water's Edge Inn, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Marie,

Thank you for all the kind words about our hotel, staff and small town! We enjoyed having you here and we are happy to hear that our “what to do” recommendations were appreciated. We always feel fortunate to be a part of our guests Adirondack experience. We are delighted to hear that you and your family are planning to return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Reviewed October 18, 2012

But I guess not. Could repeat all the bad reviews, but won't bother. Bottom line, creepy and old, smells bad. Sheets were thick and stiff with some sort of ruberized bed topper under the sheets. Looked like 4 other cars in the parking lot and desk clerk put us way down on the other side of the building in a handicapped room with only one night stand and towels that looked like they were hung by a child. Said all the other rooms were filled. Some creepy man hung out in our hallway, not sure if he belonged here, but outside doors were not locked at night. Anyone could enter. No break on price even though we didn't arrive until after 8:00 pm. Breakfast included some semiwarm dried pieces of French toast, warm cubes of potato mix, cheap muffins, yogert and bagels and an artificial syrup you pour from a big plastic container. Did someone mention the old RCA tvs with fuzzy reception? Obviously the customers are not a priority at this place. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Osprey-6
General M, General Manager at Water's Edge Inn, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Osprey-6,
We appreciate you taking the time to write an online review, and we apologize that you were unhappy with your room and our hotel. The room you stayed in is a “Standard King” which is our most economical room ($65 plus tax) and is also handicapped accessible, we only have three of these rooms. Since they are the most economical they are usually the first to be booked, that was the only Standard King available upon your arrival. Since acquiring the hotel in 2006 we have tried very hard to update the rooms. We have put over $100,000 each year for the past 5 years into renovating and updating our hotel. We are currently in the process of replacing all of our televisions and cable/internet with a dedicated fiber optic line, we have been actively trying to solve our cable/internet issues over the past year and hope to finally have a solution. We would like to assure you that our hotel is very safe and secure, we have never had any problems with safety or security. Breakfast is a complimentary continental with two hot items each day as well as many other options such as yogurt, bagels, muffins, cereal and more. We sincerely apologize for any disappointment you experienced and hope you will return to Old Forge in the future.
Rockford IL
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Beware!! Read other reviews carefully about this place falling apart, moldy carpeting, nonfunctional internet, and being a cash cow for its owners. Spotty internet because of its "location in the Aditondacks?" No, it is 2012. And that excuse doesn't cut it for these prices at a hotel that needed a renovation in 1980. If you've read these reviews and stay here "for the location," remember--you've been warned.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank caverbw
Caverbw,

We’re very sorry that you had a disappointing experience at our hotel. Every room has been updated within the past 6 years, as each Fall we choose several rooms to renovate, spending over $100,000 each year in renovations. We have been actively trying to solve our cable/internet issues over the past year and hope to finally have a solution in place by the end of the year. Unfortunately, in the Adirondacks and in the village of Old Forge we are working with outdated infrastructure with the cable/internet lines. We appreciate your comments and have taken them to heart. We would be pleased if you would consider a return visit to the area.
Chittenango, New York
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I arrived early (12noon) with my five children (age 14- 3) and my elderly parents. Other than wishing I'd thought to ask for a lobby level room for my dad (who had trouble climbing the two small flights down to our rooms), our experience was perfect! Staff was friendly, rooms were clean (and I am picky because of my kids, and I'm a nurse!), and the breakfast was awesome! We were allowed to stay in our room added time (my mom had recently had surgery and I wanted her to be able to rest before we got on the road the next day) and the staff was great about it! My kids want to go there every summer, and I think we will. The location is great (esp. if you are going to Water Safari), and the Pied Piper restaurant next door is the best deal in town for lunch with kids. We walked over from the hotel to get our meal and were in our rooms in about 5 minutes. The steak house at the outskirts of town was a bit pricey, but worth every cent of the splurge. Dont' stay anywhere else..the added few dollars you might save are not worth it! My mom and sister and I has always travelled and stayed at different places in Old Forge...now we have a HOME at this hotel!

Room Tip: ground floor with a view of lake was so pretty...porch was small but sweet for the kids and a wonder...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank a l
Brainerd, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is an overpriced accomodation, dark, and grungy. Couldn't tell if it was clean becasue it wasso dark. The staff looked and acted like hillbillies, and the decor and rooms were outdated, (even with remodelling). We stayed in Room 104, which had a parking lot view. They should have left the outside porches off because they are useless and unappealing. There is virtually no free internet, as it is spotty and useless. Did connect with my phone once, but it was very slow. The staff acted like they were helping to troubleshoot my connection, but I got the feeling that they were just going thru the motions.....with no luck. I asked if this was a common problem, and they said very few people have issues and that it must be my computer (My wife and I have stayed at hundreds of hotels and never had an issue at other hotels that offered free WIFI. (They could have just told me it didn't work well) I told them that & the just looked at me with a blank stare. (must have heard that a lot). There is no one at the front desk between 10:00 PM and 8:00 AM, so there is absolutely no security of help in an emergency. The place looks like it is a fire hazard, so I consider this totally unacceptable. Must have been saving some staffing dollars (for what I do not know, as it apperas that they are not putting any money back into this place. (It's a cash cow for someone) The Free Breakfast starts at 8:00 AM, so early travelers had no option for food. They did not mention this when checking in. Most places that charge this much offer to make a bag for you as an accomodation if you had to leave early. DO NOT STAY HERE! IT'S A RIPOFF.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martha502
Martha 502,
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. The room you reserved was a Standard King (our Fall Rate is $100 Plus tax) That room was remodeled in 2008, as all of our rooms and hallways have been remodeled in the last 5 years. The wireless internet has been problematic, and we are actively working to fix that problem. We do have a night manager at the hotel from 10pm until 8am and in the case of an emergency or concern they can be reached by simply dialing 0. We would like to assure you that our hotel is very safe and secure, we have never had any problems with safety or security. We have also never had any issues as a “fire hazard”, and far surpass all local and state standards and regulations. Again we apologize that you were unhappy and we hope that you will return to the area.
raleigh, nc
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel when attending a friends wedding in the area. Overall, I thought it was just okay. Rates were a little high ~$175.00/night. Hotel itself was a little old, not many amenities. As far as the food the term "hot breakfast" was used quite generously. There wasnt much to it. We had an lake view, but it definately wasnt scenic just a few old boats outside our window. I was just expecting more given the rate. The area itself is very cute and quaint but if we go to the area again, I wouldl try out a different hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skknight18
Andover
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Conveniently located, easy access to parking lot, comfortable beds, good breakfast foods, nice library. There were rooms facing the parking lot and rooms on the back facing the lake. We were on the ground floor and it was nice to be able to open the window and let fresh air in. There were balconies with chairs on each room. There was a heated indoor pool which was actually warm! We were there on Labor Day and there were fireworks on the lake which made our stay even more enjoyable.

The only thing I was not happy with was the shower. The water did not keep an even temperature. It switched from hot to cold as though someone else was turning their water on and it was affecting ours. The water pressure could have been stronger.

Overall though we really enjoyed staying here and would go again.

Note: It is directly across from the Water Safari park.
There were 3 floors with no elevators if stairs are a problem.
The room doors were not numbered on the outside, you had to go into the building and then there were arrows showing which direction your room was in.

Room Tip: If you want to sit on your balcony and view the lake you should get a room in the back. On the top...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Clark's Beach Motel
Clark's Beach Motel
#10 of 12 in Old Forge
Pine Knoll Lodge & Cabins Inc

Been to Water's Edge Inn? Share your experiences!