“Very greasy”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Skaneateles, New York
“Very greasy”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We wound up at Walt's because on a Monday in the fall almost everywhere else is closed for dinner. We thought a burger & fries would be a safe bet in a diner - especially since the food we saw on other people's tables didn't look so great.

The burger was greasy but OK anyway. The fries were literally sitting in a pool of grease - really gross. To be fair, though, it was almost closing time & maybe they had already turned off the fryers so they were cooked in cool oil. We should have stuck to the chips instead of paying more for yucky fries,

Lacona, New York
“Tasteless, Disappointing Drab Food, Drive BY, Don't Stop!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Well I feel compelled to write another review Of Walts Diner in Old Forge, NY. When we have been in town over the past number of years we always try to stop for breakfast or lunch. Last year we had a not so worth it experience but my husband wanted to give it another try for an early dinner this last drive by on a beautiful fall foliage day. I wish this is what we had of done DRIVE BY!. We sat ourselves in the newer side section. After almost 10 minutes our waitress came by to get our drink orders and food orders since she could see we were probably ready. She was pleasant enough and apologized for the wait. Even though we were there at close to 5 it really was not all that busy. I ordered a Turkey Dinner special and my husband ordered the Prime Rib special. The salads came out which consisted of iceberg lettuce broke up and one thin sliver of 1/2 of a tomato slice and a few pieces of onions in a pile. The "house homemade" dressing was ok but not great in a small plastic container. Presentation for the whole dinner was pretty awful. At a local hometown diner you want homecooked appealing food. The food came out quickly. The prime Rib had no au jus just that one the plate alone. nothing else? It lacked flavor for a prime rib. The only seasoning i could see and he could taste was a pile of pepper which was put on just prior to serving. It was cooked to his liking medium rare but that is all he could say and was not worth the $15. He got a small dish of overcooked homecut frys all dark and my guess would be they do not change the oil very often in the kitchen.
My turkey dinner was obviously nuked and had a bit of gravy on just the meat. I had a baked potato which was the highlight of my meal. I put butter and salt and pepper on it. The waitress never brought the sour cream and there was not enough gravy to help out the terrible dressing which shared my plate. It was a cut square of dried up corners and bland flavor. I would have been embarrased to serve that to a customer. At least they could have tried to hide it with a pile of gravy on it and maybe a side of cranberry sauce.. But i was not so lucky. It was tasteless, flavorless, drab, dried up diner food. I was very disappointed to say the least. I wanted a home cooked turkey dinner. My husband got a order of "homemade rice pudding" to take home. Wow... that was an experience. It came in a small styrophome cup 1/2 full. At like $3.00. When we got home later he tried it and luckily it was only 1/2 cup as it was truly unedible. The rice was not cooked it was hard and crunchy.. not many raisins and no flavor again. It truly is sad as Walts Diner has a great location. It could be so much more. Again with some cleaning, ceiling fans had grease and "fuzz" growing on them when you walk in! And possible a better cook or someone who cares how the food tastes every dish which goes out just not eggs or breakfast fare. This will be my last time. We like to support locals but Strike three and you are out. We have been fair and given it three times so I will not be back. Shame as years ago this was the best breakfast stop to get great diner food. I would not recommend Walts now to anyone I know. It has truly gone downhill. If the locals think this is good food they must have no taste buds left. Truly disappointing diner experience.

Ness Ziona, Israel
“Good basic food to start the day with”
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

During our last trip to Old Forge we ate at this diner twice. It is a great local diner with fast service and great food to open the morning with. Great eggs, toasts and average coffee. Even my 3 years old daughter enjoyed this place. If you are visiting this area - this is a good choice for breakfast.

Victor, New York, United States
“Great food!”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was our first time at the diner despite many trips through Old Forge. It is an easy place to pass when driving by! It was mid afternoon and we seated immediately. East Utice greens were delicious and could be a meal by themselves with the Italian bread. I had one of the best haddock fish fry sandwiches ever and my husband has Walt's green chili. We ordered more than we could. Unfortunately we were too full to order any of the delicious homemade desserts!

Syracuse, New York
“Never again”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Did the Adirondack scenic railroad trip to Old Forge, ended up here for lunch on 8/30/2012.
Split a burger & fries for our toddlers, but the burger was charred and wasn't good so they wouldn't eat that. The fries were tolerable. Wife had a BLT, but the tomatoes (which are in season) weren't good, and neither was the bacon. How do you screw up bacon? I had a burger with jalapenos so flavor wasn't a problem, but I wasn't impressed by the burger. Potato and mac salads were average. It was almost $30 for 3 bad meals. We had to feed the kids elsewhere.

• Visited August 2012