“Mom's Fanstastic Getaway”

The Palms Hotel Fire Island
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ocean Beach
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I don't even know where to begin, five "mom" friends and I went overnight for 1 evening and plan to go back next month. Being mom's that do everything for our children we couldn't begin to tell you how relaxing and unbelievable it was that every need was met, anticpated before we knew we needed it. I've never seen such customer service and dedication to the guests ANYWHERE!! Carly the most dedicated front desk manager, Shane the person at the private beach, took care of our umbrellas, lunch, water and even iced our cooler when we went to check-out!! We didn't even ask!! The young boys are the main hotel who took care of our luggage, helped us to the ferry and let us make drinks at their post!!!!!!! All truly dedicated attitutdes and sought out to meet every need!!

Room Tip: We had the Sutton room overlooking the bay with a balcony--simply unreal---so beautiful--we shared 6...
1  Thank pam n

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We are long-time residents of Ocean Beach, where the Palms has a number of properties. We never expected to stay in one of their beautiful rooms until we were evacuated from our house around 10 PM because of a gas leak, along with three grandchildren whom we had to wake up. We arrived at the Palms with three grandchildren in tow shortly before midnight on Thursday, July 18th, 2013. The staff (Kendall and Karly) were unbelievably kind in immediately showing to a beautiful room, with amazingly comfortable beds, and our grandchildren were able to get a perfect night's sleep and they went off to day camp on Friday, with only a great story to tell. We will forever be grateful for the extraordinary service and first class accommodations proved to us by the Palms and would recommend it highly to anyone considering a stay at the beautiful town of Ocean Beach on Fire Island.

Room Tip: There are many locations. Our location on Cottage Walk was terrific.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My fiance and I stayed three nights at the Palms, July 4-July 7. For $400 a night, we were expecting a really lovely, relaxing stay. What a joke! When we walked into our room, we were floored. There was only enough space to walk in and turn left for the bathroom.

In addition the room was also dirty. The floors were sandy. The sheets were dirty and were not replaced every day. I have no idea what their cleaning staff did all day since all they do is make your bed. It took us a full day to get a trash can for our room. We found a nice layer of dust under the bed as well (see photo). To make matters worse, it took five minutes for the water in the shower to get hot, and once hot, the water would only flow steadily for 5 minutes until it started sputtering. There is no wi-fi in the rooms, only the lobby. So that's another deception. What kind of respectable establishment charges $400/night for this!?

The staff: I didn't see a single adult during our stay. They were all teens and 20somethings who knew nothing about the island. They couldn't tell us which towns were east or west or how to get there. We were constantly finding ourselves asking the friendly town police officers since we could get no valuable information from the children running the hotel. Absurd.

When we checked in, we were told that the hotel could only control noise coming from within the hotel, but could not control noise from the town. This made perfect sense to us. What didn't make sense is how the Palms courtyard then turned into a club every night where air head 20somethings drank and bopped around to the loud music the hotel provided them on their loudspeakers until 2 or 3 am. What kind of establishment is this!? Actually, the most obvious explanation is that the Palms Hotel has a monopoly on decent accommodations in Ocean Beach and therefore feels they can get away with murder in terms of what they actually provide.

On our last night, as I was falling asleep, I was awoken by a horrid stench of sweaty feet and realized it was coming from the air conditioner. This is a tell-tale sign of mold and bacteria in the unit, which is a health hazard. I turned the A/C off, but the noise from Club Courtyard was so loud that I ended up turning the A/C back on just to drown it out.

I could go on, but I'm getting too angry. I don't know how can all these people give 5 stars reviews....

I also tried to reach Laura Mercogliano regarding my complaints, but she did not call me back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
18  Thank andrea_razzini
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I've visited this hotel every year since 2007. It is our staycation get away. It is a ferry ride away and yet another world. The fact that the hotel offers all the beach amenities that you need make it easy to visit. The rooms are decorated with such good taste and the young atmosphere is inviting to all.

This is our go to and we are always looking forward to going back.

Room Tip: If traveling with family on the weekends, ask to stay at the main hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Me and 3 other girls went to stay here at the Palms Bay EAST ( not the Palms Bay) and rented the upper level 4 person suite which had 2 king size beds a kitchenette and a small bathroom ( little disappointed in the small bathroom bc u can barely fit in this stand shower let alone only one closet and 2 dressers to put clothing in for 4 women was definitely not enough room , but made it work ! The cabana men we very attentive to us all on the private Bay Area in back of hotel where u can lay out on their lounge chairs and be handed fresh towels and request any type of refreshments on your dime thou but anytime from 9am-730pm. Was very nice and relaxing on their private sand area :) my recommendation is to stay at the Palms Bay east hotel oppose to the Palms bay hotel bc of the bigger rooms and the back sand lounge area definitely . Rooms looked spotless everyday at turn down as well . The beds are SO Comfortable too

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank tinadancona
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Just back from a quick visit to The Palms Hotel in Fire Island and I am already counting the days until my return trip. I can't say enough good things about this hotel, but I will start with excellent service, every amenity you need in Fire Island ( great location, tons of bikes to ride, beach chairs, beach towels and umbrellas galore), spacious, unbelievably clean and superbly decorated rooms with extra comfortable beds. This is the only place to stay in Ocean Beach.

Room Tip: Love the Chelsea cottage, easy access to the courtyard and great lay out, perfect for a few couples...
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My girlfriend and I try to get away every few months just to recharge ourselves. we discovered the Palms last year! We love everything about it. We love it so much we each bought two groupons. we have gone three times this summer so far and have one more visit left. The staff is very friendly and accommodating.... It's a wonderful place to slip away from reality even for just an overnight stay... Youll feel as though you've been gone for awhile! Very relaxing, beautiful atmosphere.....

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocean Beach
La Quinta Inn & Suites Islip MacArthur Airport
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge

Been to The Palms Hotel Fire Island? Share your experiences!