“Magical Place”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ocean Beach
Melville, New York
“Magical Place”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

A friend and I took the ferry to Ocean Beach on Sunday, August 11th to have dinner. As we were having such a good time that evening we decided to stay over for ONE nite. The Palms Hotel had a vacancy and we took it. We were greeted by Katie at the front desk and were assigned to a beautiful room. We went out on the town after check-in and the next morning were greated by the owners; Chris and Laura. The wonderful outgoing and friendly reception that we received only reinforced the desire to stay another night. We stayed TWO more instead. Everybody at this hotel contributed to a magical experience and we are now friends with many of the staff. A huge thanks to our hosts, Chris and Laura and a big thanks to beautiful Katie, Steve K, Bobby, Karly, Brooke, Ryan, Connor, Ken, Ghita, and Andrew. It doesn't get better than this in Ocean Beach !!

1 Thank Bruce R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I've stayed at the Palms more than once and am always impressed with how clean the hotel is and the great amenities they provide. The hotel has coffee and pastries out in the morning. They provide water infused with fruit throughout the day. On Friday afternoon, they even had small appetizers. They also provide chairs, beach towels, umbrellas, and wagons to all guests. The rooms are very small and some are smaller than others. If you have 10 people, the villas seem like a great idea. For 4 or 8 people, the rooms in the other building with the kitchenette were a little bigger than the rooms we had this time (2 BR Suite). We did however have 2 fridges, flat-screen TVs, and IPOD radios. If you plan to go in the summer, make sure to book far in advance.

The biggest drawback this time was the mosquito issue. They were everywhere and all over our rooms. The hotel really needs to do something to prevent the mosquitos from getting inside the hotel, even though I know this is a little bit difficult. It is very uncomfortable for the guests. Definitely bring bug spray! The main hotel also seems to blow fuses quite often and should call in an electrician to remedy this issue.

Despite these problems, the staff is friendly and very nice. If I were to visit Ocean Beach again, I would definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Villas seem best for a party of 10. Rooms in building by the water with kitchenette are good for pa...
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The Palms is by far the best place to stay in Ocean Beach. From the friendly staff, cleanliness of the rooms, coffee and water service, to the proximity to the nightlife and restaurants...the Palms is simply incredible. The courtyard is a great way to start the night with some cocktails while sitting under the stars and experiencing the beauty of Fire Island. The cottages are the perfect place to stay on a summer weekend. I will only ever stay here when in Fire Island!

Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was my first trip to Fire Island. I saw a deal on Groupon for this hotel and I am soo glad I grabbed it!!
I had a very comfortable one night stay in a room with a full size bed and a pull out couch. The room was small and comfortable for 2 adults. There was a small refrigerator in the room. A flat screen TV, IPOD dock, and DirectTV were also in the room. With these amenities, and free Wifi, I was quite pleased with my deal, but the size of the room reminded us of a bed and breakfast.
The bathroom was small, clean and comfortable.
My only negative regarding cleanliness: when we took off our shoes upon entry/arrival , we felt sand on the floor. Hard to clean in a beach community or poor cleaning???
There are outside seating areas to watch TV, eat, rest. You can store your luggage and go to the beach. You will be provided with towels, umbrella,chair and a wagon ( as supplies last!!) to take to the beach.
The location is right in the midst of everything on Ocean Beach
The staff was great!!
I left with wonderful memories and would stay here again without hesitation!!
If you see a Groupon or Livingsocial deal for this place, GRAB IT!!! :-). Even if you don't, stay here if you can!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank woof11226
New Hyde Park, New York
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I just booked our next stay at the Palms, this time taking along our 2 sons with us (26 &27) who have never been there..we're so excited to be able to share the experience with them this time...in doing so I realized now that I never did write my review that i wanted so badly to write after our last visit. We booked a one night stay last month for our anniversary and having never been to Fire Island I was hesitant to stay anywhere sight unseen but what an amazing place. I have to admit though that when we entered our "king suite" I was trying to open the door to the adjacent room looking for the rest of it!...it was quite small to say the least...I was searching for the closet that didn't exist and I even told my husband "don't even think about coming into the bathroom while I'm in there"...there's no room for two. But...the room was really so quaint and cozy yet modern we absolutely loved it. There is no phone which i thought was a plus while on a getaway except that on occasion when
we needed something we had to track down an employee or call the main hotel (we were down the road), this was a bit of an inconvenience.

This hotel is pricey but well worth it...we did take a look at other hotels on the island and although less expensive nothing compares to the Palms. All you need really is a comfortable bed and a clean room and you can be certain that's what you'll find here.

We fell in love with this "little piece of heaven" so much so that we had to stay an extra night...it still wasn't nearly enough!

The staff really made the whole experience so truly amazing for us...I honestly dont think that if it weren't for their hard work and dedication to making sure that all our needs were met we would not have enjoyed it as much as we did. They all deserve high praise for going above and beyond in every way possible.

Our sincerest thanks go out to every one of them but especially Ali, Max, Victoria, and Russel & Ken...our photographer and personal bartender! As business owners ourselves we know that it's difficult to find employees with professional work ethics and outstanding customer service skills and yet the Palms Hotel has a staff of young adults who possess those skills and more.

We look forward to seeing you guys again in a couple of weeks.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This beach hotel is remarkably clean and offers all the amenities you could need (bikes, beach chairs, fruit, water). The location is an easy walk to the beach and steps from town. The staff was also friendly, helpful and accommodating. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Understand that space is at a premium on Fire Island and that drives prices high but if you are selling your hotel as the luxury spot on Ocean Beach, your service should back that up. The space is nice and the staff is genuinely friendly but there were a number of customer service issues during our stay that are difficult to overlook when paying over $1000 / night including: broken shower (very hot water or very cold water, nothing in between), toilet that didn't stop running, no toilet paper (when we asked for more - there were 8 of us in the suite - we were given two rolls several hours later), additionally - a hotel with a very small number of guests should never run out of beach chairs: they know exactly how many people are staying at the hotel.

It's a nice hotel and of three stays I've had there - they have been generally pleasant - but when you're charging the same price as a Four Seasons or St. Regis you should be better accustomed to giving guests what they want, especially when their requests are very basic.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocean Beach
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
Residence Inn Long Island Islip/Courthouse Complex
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection

Been to The Palms Hotel Fire Island? Share your experiences!