“Don't waste your time---they don't care about your business”
Review of The Island Mermaid

The Island Mermaid
Ranked #4 of 20 Restaurants in Ocean Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I recently had the worst possible dining experience of my life. How could a restaurant in an ideal island location have gone so wrong? I'll tell you.......First the manage/owner who sat us acted as though he was doing us a favor by giving us a table----not happy he had our business. The waiter was inattentive and sarcastic, even condescending, making rude comments when asked what cocktails were served. We waited an inexcusable amount of time before questioning where our appetizer was and was given a sarcastic response. The drinks that were served came warm. When the length of wait for our order was questioned all we received was another sarcastic response from our server. When we finally got the attention from the manager/owner who asked us if we had a problem. We told him about our problem (long wait, warm drinks, poor service) He offered no apology and was even ruder than the server. We at this point decided to leave and paid for our cocktails. The owners response was: GET THESE PEOPLE OUT OF HERE! Tell me, can it get any less professional than this??

2  Thank Lorraine I

Reviewed August 20, 2012

All we wanted was a quick trip to the island for A NICE LUNCH and a stroll. The weather was great and we chose to sit outside at the Mermaid. First Mistake! The Nastiest owner/manager told us we had to wait three minutes to be seated when it was obvious a number of tables were open. The nasty waiter was slow and we waited, patiently I might add, for his attention. The wait was long! We decided on an Appetizer and 4 sandwiches. We waited again and ordered some drinks. The Nasty waiter rolled off a number of beers and when we asked or a Coors Light the Nasty waiter scolded us! REALLY! The Nasty waiter asked " Did I say we had Coors Light ? " We tried to laugh it off, but it got worse when the warm beer came. I wanted to say something but got voted out! About 10-15 minutes after receiving the warm beer we inquired about the possible arrival of our appetizer. We had noticed other patrons had been served and we had gotten there and ordered before them. I had noted 3 couples and a dog came in after us, sat, had some Bloody Marys and left and we still had no food. Honelstly, we did not have bread, water or the attention of the staff. When the nasty waiter came by we had to grab him and ask for the reason we had not yet been served. The nasty waiter told us they had a very small kitchen and the resturant was busy.
The nasty waiter did not offer an apology, did not say the food should be right out and did not ask if we wanted water refills or anything else. After waiting at least another 10 minutes , we were no longer patient, just hungry, and tried to grab the nasty waiters attention and as he walked by us we blew an attention grabbing whistle. We asked the nasty waiter for the bill for the beer and told him we did not want to wait any longer. Thats when the Nastiest owner/manager in the world came up to us and asked if there was a problem. We told him we had been seated for 45 minutes and still had not been served. The nastiest oner/manger in the world told us we had been seated for less then 22 minutes AND....the Nastiest Owner/manager in the worl told the nasty waiter, "get them a check and GET THESE PEOPLE OUT OF HERE! '
Let me ask? Do you think it was us? Even is we had been seated for 22 minutes don't you think we should have had an appetizer? Really? the dog that was with the 3 couples got water! DO NOT VISIT THIS ESTABLISHMENT UNLESS YOU LIKE TO BE TREATED LIKE CRAP BY THE NASTIEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD..

3  Thank Ruthanne I
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Although we didn’t have reservations, they still accommodated us. We lucked out on catching a Monday night special; ½ off all entrees. The food was amazing!! If dining at night, bring a sweater. It gets cold near the water.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I recently ate at The Island Mermaid for dinner during a weekend stay in Ocean Beach. I have been there several times in the past and really enjoyed it, but after my recent experience I will never return. We had a reservation for 9:30, but had to wait since the restaurant was running about "20 minutes late." This would have been no big deal, except the problems began piling up from the moment we were finally seated. First, we found out from our waiter (who was great, so this review is by no means a reflection of him) that they were out of the calamari appetizer (what seafood restaurant runs out of this?) and the burger entree. This was also fine, but a hint of the later problems to come. Our food took so long in the kitchen that I might as well have ordered brunch from the Sunday morning menu. What is worse is that when we finally received the food, it was by no means what was described on the menu. The scallops ordered by others in my group came with what looked like cole slaw mix. My salmon came with asparagus and white rice instead of the bok choy and mushrooms with jasmine rice that was stated in the menu. I expect to get what I ordered unless told otherwise, but clearly this restaurant doesn't feel this is necessary. The salmon was completely overcooked and was virtually inedible. Finally, the icing of the cake was the drunk patron that began vomiting all over the floor next to our table during our meal. Since our reservation and meal had been so delayed, they had begun turning the outside deck into the nighttime bar despite the fact that many groups were still eating. At this point we asked to speak to the manager (owner?), who was only willing to throw free drinks or comped admissions to his "wonderful" bar our way. Despite the fact that our meal had been completely ruined, he basically responded with "yea, that's terrible," but this is all I can do. We definitely deserved some type of discount on our food after all of these issues. This is no way to treat returning guests. Further, the vomit remained on the floor the entire night. There are so many great restaurants in Ocean Beach, there is no need to subject yourself to this one.

1  Thank 4Traveler4
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Also by FAR the best bread basket including crunchy sesame flats, spicy flavorful mini muffins, and miniature baguettes. QUIET deck view out in the open despite a hopping' bar 100 feet away. Outstanding service and food as overpriced--no more or less--as the other food in ocean beach.