“Clean, Close, Quaint, and Friendly!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Clegg's Hotel

Clegg's Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Ocean Beach
Brooklyn, New York
“Clean, Close, Quaint, and Friendly!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

This is not your 5 star resort but as long as you understand that and appreciate the charm you'll love it. It was relatively inexpensive compared to others on the island and views the ferry landing on the main strip. It's on the 2nd floor of a quiet trading company, not a bar or restaurant like many of the other hotels.

We were concerned about some old negative reviews but were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean, and the staff was friendly. They provided continental breakfast, free bikes, and free beach chair rentals. The shared bathrooms weren't an issue at all. We also brought our 3 yr old with us, and the entire staff was great with him!

Overall Cleggs was super accommodating. They even helped us check in early and hold our bags after check out. Thanks so much for a great stay! We'll be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Tvitale7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

After a tiring search of places to take a 3-day weekend with my boyfriend, we finally settled on Ocean Beach. We did not want to get into the played-out, and tiring, party scene in the Pines and Cherry Grove. A coworker of mine found Clegg's website and sent it over to me. We were a little concerned with it being a bed and breakfast, sharing bathrooms and what not. So, we did some searching, and every single hotel in Ocean Beach was booked. End of the story: we booked Clegg's. We were very pleasantly surprised by the experience. The room was very basic, but it had the two things I require: a bed and a working air conditioner. There was also some chairs and a dresser and a closet, but really, that was all gravy. Here's a quick list because i know lists will get the attention of lazy readers (like myself):

1. Sharing Bathrooms -- Not a big deal. Four (4) bathrooms for ten (10) rooms. Not sure how booked they were at the time, but I didn't run into a single other occupant.
2. Continental Breakfast -- You get the basic choices: bagels, donuts, crumbcake, coffee, OJ. But, let me just tell you...the bagels were pretty damn good, and I'm from NJ, so I know good bagels. The donuts and other pastries were also very good. The coffee did the trick.
3. Gay Friendly -- The manager (or owner?) was very nice, and he asked us why we chose Ocean Beach over the Pines or Cherry Grove. It was a normal, no frills or chills hotel experience, and we were grateful for it.
4. Proximity -- Ocean Beach is pretty damn small, and everything is within a short walking distance of everything else. But, Clegg's is literally right off the ferry. We had to walk about 20 steps to get to the front door. Very convenient, especially if you've got a lot of stuff with you (unlike us).

IN CONCLUSION, stay at Clegg's if you're looking for convenience, no-frills, and delicious pastries every morning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Kevin A
Sayville, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Me and my family have been vacationing at Clegg's for many years. My husband/daughter and myself were there overnight the last weekend in June. Happy to say, that all is well over at Ocean Beach and at Clegg's. The same people that have been working there are still happy to assist in getting "an extra towel/pillow" or what ever you need with a big smile. The owner is still as friendly as ever. Clegg's Hotel has several types of rooms depending on what you are interested in. Last year, I rented for a week and requested the Suite, which has a fridge and stove and your own bathroom, which I loved. If you just want to stay a few nights, a smaller room works out and you share a bathroom (which they have several) and I never had to wait. I have a daughter, which stays with us and I have to say what a safe feeling I have staying at Cleggs with her with us. that is worth so much! The location is opposite the ferry terminal, so practically no walking at all, and although you are at the best location in town, you don't hear the noise at night due to your own air conditioner. A great cup of coffee and fresh bagels are provided each morning. We will be back again mid August and I can't wait.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank LaurieL33
Deer Park, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Cleggs is at a spectacular location, right in the middle of all the action. The ferry terminal is extremely close, didnt have to carry our suitcases all through town. There rooms were small but kept clean. The bathrooms are shared, which may bother some people, but they were spotless and were not an issue whatsoever. The staff was very accomidating and nice, they did all they could to ensure we had a pleasant stay. Overall, very satisfied!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tom R
Southold, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great spot, right off the ferry. Hotel owner was a super nice guy...relaxed, quiet, chill place to stay. Nice a clean, compared to other Fire Island places. Prices a little steep, but what the hell, you are visiting a little slice of heaven. Will definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank nofogal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

We went here in 2012 because we bought a Groupon and it was a great deal. You have to share a bathroom, which was clean at all times. However, I would have liked my own bathroom. We really spent zero time in room room besides sleeping and changing. The room was really outdated and did not feel clean. My husband and I were given a room with two twin beds that really only had enough room to walk next to the beds. It would win the smallest hotel room award if there was one. The staff was very nice. They offer free bike rentals, which was great! However, the Bikes were not as comfortable as our own bikes and home and after the second day we were in pain. Great location! It's directly in front of the ferry terminal so you do not have to carry your luggage very far. The island was absolute amazing and we had a wonderful time. We actually booked another stay for July 2013 in hopes that they have updated there hotel after Sandy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Queen size bed