“Basic but Comfortable (and Gay Friendly, Too)”
Review of Clegg's Hotel

Clegg's Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Ocean Beach
Reviewed July 22, 2013

After a tiring search of places to take a 3-day weekend with my boyfriend, we finally settled on Ocean Beach. We did not want to get into the played-out, and tiring, party scene in the Pines and Cherry Grove. A coworker of mine found Clegg's website and sent it over to me. We were a little concerned with it being a bed and breakfast, sharing bathrooms and what not. So, we did some searching, and every single hotel in Ocean Beach was booked. End of the story: we booked Clegg's. We were very pleasantly surprised by the experience. The room was very basic, but it had the two things I require: a bed and a working air conditioner. There was also some chairs and a dresser and a closet, but really, that was all gravy. Here's a quick list because i know lists will get the attention of lazy readers (like myself):

1. Sharing Bathrooms -- Not a big deal. Four (4) bathrooms for ten (10) rooms. Not sure how booked they were at the time, but I didn't run into a single other occupant.
2. Continental Breakfast -- You get the basic choices: bagels, donuts, crumbcake, coffee, OJ. But, let me just tell you...the bagels were pretty damn good, and I'm from NJ, so I know good bagels. The donuts and other pastries were also very good. The coffee did the trick.
3. Gay Friendly -- The manager (or owner?) was very nice, and he asked us why we chose Ocean Beach over the Pines or Cherry Grove. It was a normal, no frills or chills hotel experience, and we were grateful for it.
4. Proximity -- Ocean Beach is pretty damn small, and everything is within a short walking distance of everything else. But, Clegg's is literally right off the ferry. We had to walk about 20 steps to get to the front door. Very convenient, especially if you've got a lot of stuff with you (unlike us).

IN CONCLUSION, stay at Clegg's if you're looking for convenience, no-frills, and delicious pastries every morning.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Kevin A

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Me and my family have been vacationing at Clegg's for many years. My husband/daughter and myself were there overnight the last weekend in June. Happy to say, that all is well over at Ocean Beach and at Clegg's. The same people that have been working there are still happy to assist in getting "an extra towel/pillow" or what ever you need with a big smile. The owner is still as friendly as ever. Clegg's Hotel has several types of rooms depending on what you are interested in. Last year, I rented for a week and requested the Suite, which has a fridge and stove and your own bathroom, which I loved. If you just want to stay a few nights, a smaller room works out and you share a bathroom (which they have several) and I never had to wait. I have a daughter, which stays with us and I have to say what a safe feeling I have staying at Cleggs with her with us. that is worth so much! The location is opposite the ferry terminal, so practically no walking at all, and although you are at the best location in town, you don't hear the noise at night due to your own air conditioner. A great cup of coffee and fresh bagels are provided each morning. We will be back again mid August and I can't wait.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank LaurieL33
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Cleggs is at a spectacular location, right in the middle of all the action. The ferry terminal is extremely close, didnt have to carry our suitcases all through town. There rooms were small but kept clean. The bathrooms are shared, which may bother some people, but they were spotless and were not an issue whatsoever. The staff was very accomidating and nice, they did all they could to ensure we had a pleasant stay. Overall, very satisfied!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Tom R
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great spot, right off the ferry. Hotel owner was a super nice guy...relaxed, quiet, chill place to stay. Nice a clean, compared to other Fire Island places. Prices a little steep, but what the hell, you are visiting a little slice of heaven. Will definitely go back!

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank nofogal
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We went here in 2012 because we bought a Groupon and it was a great deal. You have to share a bathroom, which was clean at all times. However, I would have liked my own bathroom. We really spent zero time in room room besides sleeping and changing. The room was really outdated and did not feel clean. My husband and I were given a room with two twin beds that really only had enough room to walk next to the beds. It would win the smallest hotel room award if there was one. The staff was very nice. They offer free bike rentals, which was great! However, the Bikes were not as comfortable as our own bikes and home and after the second day we were in pain. Great location! It's directly in front of the ferry terminal so you do not have to carry your luggage very far. The island was absolute amazing and we had a wonderful time. We actually booked another stay for July 2013 in hopes that they have updated there hotel after Sandy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Queen size bed
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MrsJPN
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Cleggs was a great stay! It was right in the middle of town which was great for going out at night and was only a few minutes from the beach. Its perfect for a weekend get away with a friend or spouse. It also has beach chairs and bikes if you want to take them to the beach which was extremely convient. I highly recommend this hotel if you are needing a small vacation and will be staying there again this summer!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank mary d
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The Clegg's hotel is overpriced! Noisy, right in front of a bar. Not really clean as it should be and the bed was not even a queen size and uncomfortable.
What a shame! If you can find an alternative go for it! If not do not spend more money than you should on a suite, you are better of with a regular room.

• Stayed: May 2013
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge
Residence Inn Long Island Islip/Courthouse Complex

Been to Clegg's Hotel? Share your experiences!